HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 09 challenger

How about the 2009 Challenger factory S-S/S in Mopar Action? Factory racecars right off the assembly line. Maybe GM will get off their *** now. Might be cheaper than building one.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Kevin Love

Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: 09 challenger

There will be a 09 Challenger auctioned at Barrett Jackson in a couple of weeks.Someone could
step up and get a head start on a new stocker.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
BLAZER

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Talking Re: 09 challenger

You can bet your sweet A-- this car will go well above the sticker--I would say at least 50-60 Gs--Can you build a A stocker for that?
BLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwheat View Post
You can bet your sweet A-- this car will go well above the sticker--I would say at least 50-60 Gs--Can you build a A stocker for that?

There are quite of few of them already for sale on Ebay, I am not sure if they are scammers or just real SOB's
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

i am not particular to any car make,but i have to say that is one of the coolest production cars that i have seen,now to see some one build it to stocker status that would be a feat with in it self, the gears are turning(or grinding) gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

We are getting 4 of which all are sold. We sell for window price (about 42k with the gas guzzler tax). I think there might be more than announced previously. Might be some factory race cars, but none are free. More as it goes on.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

If the marketing guru's at NHRA and the dying USA mfgs had any vision, they would initiate a series (class) with the three new retro cars (Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro)...Detroit mfg a base no frills moderate cost car, SEMA mfgs gear up for traction devices, and other necessary drag mods and NHRA offer a class, say within Stock Eliminator just featuring those three models

'ya think us old '60's gearheads would take a trip back in time with our discretionary income of today?

'ya think NHRA, SEMA and Detroit would partner up on this and make it happen? Nah
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

The start of the retro muscle cars was when Ford introduced the '05 Mustang. How many of them do you see in stock and S/S? They weren't even in the classification guide until last year. One guy built a one for SS/GT and couldn't run in NHRA, only in IHRA, until he put up a fight to get it into the classification guide. It was added in May of '07, almost three years after it was introduced.

I have no idea of how competitive an '05-'07 Mustang would be in stock. The only engine is the 3 valve 4.6L SOHC engine which is factory 300HP. Even though it has never been run, NHRA put an extra 20 HP on it from the get-go so it's factored at 320. It could run D, E or F, but there aren't any out there. Why not? Why have the extra HP added to it before anyone even tries to run one?

It is probably Ford's fault, since it is up to the manufacturer to provide the specs for the classification guide. Ford doesn't seem to support drag racing at the sportsman level at all. They put more money into Harley pro-stock motorcycles (???!!!) than sportsman racing. It sucks, and as a Ford guy it pisses me off.

I'll betcha that within 6 months of the introduction of the new (ugly as sin IMHO) Camaro, there will be dozens of them in class racing. GM supports the sportsman and sees some value in having their cars at the track. That sure isn't going to make me change my colors but it does make me jealous.

Last edited by Bill Harris; 01-04-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Not DOHC, 3-valve SOHC engine
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
The start of the retro muscle cars was when Ford introduced the '05 Mustang. How many of them do you see in stock and S/S? They weren't even in the classification guide until last year. One guy built a one for SS/GT and couldn't run in NHRA, only in IHRA, until he put up a fight to get it into the classification guide. It was added in May of '07, almost three years after it was introduced.

I have no idea of how competitive an '05-'07 Mustang would be in stock. The only engine is the 4.6L DOHC engine which is factory 300HP. Even though it has never been run, NHRA put an extra 20 HP on it from the get-go so it's factored at 320. It could run D, E or F, but there aren't any out there. Why not? Why have the extra HP added to it before anyone even tries to run one?

It is probably Ford's fault, since it is up to the manufacturer to provide the specs for the classification guide. Ford doesn't seem to support drag racing at the sportsman level at all. They put more money into Harley pro-stock motorcycles (???!!!) than sportsman racing. It sucks, and as a Ford guy it pisses me off.

I'll betcha that within 6 months of the introduction of the new (ugly as sin IMHO) Camaro, there will be dozens of them in class racing. GM supports the sportsman and sees some value in having their cars at the track. That sure isn't going to make me change my colors but it does make me jealous.
Will be interesting to see how Evan Smith's new Shelby Mustang performs in SS/A.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Question Re: 09 challenger

As far as the new Mustang is concerned in Stock, wouldn't the 4.6 DOHC V-8 be more difficult to deal with in teardown than our current, conventional V-8s?