Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #171
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Poking the Bear Ford Performance Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
If it is such a bad combination, why would anyone want to build it? Especially when it is now legal to run the 302/2.9 combination which has already performed better than the 5.4/4.0 examples that you have given.

It's not a bad combination, in fact the 5.4L engine has a stronger block and is just more durable all around than the 5.0L.

To take an 08,10, or 12 car and switch it over to a 5.0L would cost and enormous amount of money. You have to buy a race ready engine, change your fuel system, headers, air intake, motor mount brackets, radiator, hoses, wiring, and computer. Not to mention the drivetrain items like torque converter, gearing (both trans and rear), even suspension setup. Based on the RPM and power band of that motor. It's a very big investment. On top of that the R&D time at the track and dialing in the combination. If you keep the 5.4L as it originally came in the car, only 08 and 10 cars would need the camshafts change. Then $4,500 for the 4.0L Supercharger and your done. You could easily convert any 08,10,12 car from a 5.4L 2.3L combination to a 5.4L 4.0L.

Jim D'Amore
Old 07-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #172
kdanner

Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D'Amore View Post
kdanner,

2014 NA Cobra Jet coyote in NHRA competition trim ran 9.33
Do you of another NA Cobra Jet running these times? Factory PCM

2008 Stock eliminator 5.4L 2.3L SC 8.24@167 Factory PCM

2010 FGT SS 5.4L 2.3L SC 8.14@167 Factory PCM

We've held 5 national records with factory PCM's

Combine with all our customers cars running factory PCM's 63 class Wally's and a bunch of #1 qualifiers, I don't even know how many I've lost count.

As far as my comment about money spent on R&D of the 5.4L 4.0L combination I guess I didn't mean to be as specific on the 4.0L but just the 5.4L in general. Sorry

What I meant by fair comparison is that for the showdown class you can not run Super Stock trim, you have to run stock eliminator trim. In stock eliminator trim I don't see the 5.4L 4.0L combination going faster than 8.30's, 8.20's at best.

How much experience do you have in building and racing the 5.4L motors? What do you know that I don't that the 5.4L 4.0L in Stock Eliminator trim can go 7.80's? Please share your experience about that, because the 5.4L 4.0L is legal for Stock eliminator.

I'm trying to keep this constructive, please do the same.

I'll try to be constructive Jim, it isn't easy with some of your statements here.

Regarding the factory PCM, you've stated that lack of RPM is a problem and I'm sure it is. You know there is plenty of EFI on the approved list which does not have that RPM problem. Not using the best available parts is simply not a good strategy.

Going by your own numbers given in your posts above, you're saying the 5.4/4.0 can only run 8.30, but you've got the 5.4/TVS running 8.24. So, much like Daren has already asked you, why clamor for this combination to be legal? Why spend a dime on it if it can't even run with the 5.4/TVS? I don't expect anyone to actually believe the TVS is quicker than the 4.0, but that is what you are claiming here.

After some of your latest statements here, I can't help but be reminded of Fun Ford Weekend, something like 15 years ago. They had a truck class that the rules were pretty wide open other than just being a Ford truck. You came in and started in wanting the rules changed so that they favored your Lightning customers. You didn't like the little Rangers with engine swaps and transbrakes, etc and got on their forums, repeatedly making statements to the effect that those vehicles built to the limits of the rules were unfair to your customers. They caved in and you got your way there. I do not believe you will succeed with similar tactics here.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #173
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
I'll try to be constructive Jim, it isn't easy with some of your statements here.

Regarding the factory PCM, you've stated that lack of RPM is a problem and I'm sure it is. You know there is plenty of EFI on the approved list which does not have that RPM problem. Not using the best available parts is simply not a good strategy.

Going by your own numbers given in your posts above, you're saying the 5.4/4.0 can only run 8.30, but you've got the 5.4/TVS running 8.24. So, much like Daren has already asked you, why clamor for this combination to be legal? Why spend a dime on it if it can't even run with the 5.4/TVS? I don't expect anyone to actually believe the TVS is quicker than the 4.0, but that is what you are claiming here.

After some of your latest statements here, I can't help but be reminded of Fun Ford Weekend, something like 15 years ago. They had a truck class that the rules were pretty wide open other than just being a Ford truck. You came in and started in wanting the rules changed so that they favored your Lightning customers. You didn't like the little Rangers with engine swaps and transbrakes, etc and got on their forums, repeatedly making statements to the effect that those vehicles built to the limits of the rules were unfair to your customers. They caved in and you got your way there. I do not believe you will succeed with similar tactics here.

As far as the factory PCM goes I think it is the best for tuning and yes we are limited by RPM. But we've made it work in the Cobra Jets for almost 10 years now.

The 4.0L is definitely quicker than the 2.3L. Your question to me was the fastest Cobra Jets with the factory PCM maybe I misunderstood but here is the deal. The average through out the season is going to be 8.20-8.30 for a 4.0L car. We are not talking optimum conditions with mineshaft air and a tail wind. I am just speaking in terms of average runs. As for a TVS the Average would be mid 8.40-8.50's.

Fun Ford Weekend, I took over the truck class in 2000. It had an average of 8-10 trucks per race at that time. At the end of 2001 in our Southern races where most of the events were held we would see as many as 50-60 trucks per class and it became FFW's largest class for 9 years in a row. The Majority being Lightning owners. As the only and primary sponsor for that class there were some rule changes made but never to the older vehicles. If you remember the first 5 years either a Ranger won or an older (1976 I believe) F-150 won. Since the birth of that class Trans brakes were never allowed, I just enforced the rule on the 2 Ranger trucks that were cheating and using them. Only because Fun Ford Weekend and myself received multiple complaints from the class participants.

As for the 5.4L 4.0L yes you are right we are never going to get the 4.0L that has been accepted, the fact still remains it was legal and on the books. Then Mike D. pulled it out and did not explain his positions as to why. Maybe because he is a representative of Ford Motor Company he feels he does not need to. The multiple people who own these cars would have liked to have an answer. I hope you can understand that, it is racers in general we are talking about not just me.

Jim D'Amore
Old 07-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #174
davidhuff

Liked 120 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
Oh my, now that's a whopper right there.

EDIT: Treed by Brett, exactly who I had in mind.
Why Don't you guys hold Mike D with Ford Motor Company to the same standards as Jim D'Amore.At least Jim is trying his best to explain his side of the story and not hiding under his desk.Mike D we are still waiting for your side of the story.
davidhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #175
kdanner

Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhuff View Post
Why Don't you guys hold Mike D with Ford Motor Company to the same standards

I have only positive things to say about any interactions I have had with Mike Delahanty, he has been helpful to me.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #176
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhuff View Post
Why Don't you guys hold Mike D with Ford Motor Company to the same standards as Jim D'Amore.At least Jim is trying his best to explain his side of the story and not hiding under his desk.Mike D we are still waiting for your side of the story.
The manufacturers are not obligated to answer posts on here. Jim decided to post his grievances. Ford gave him a meeting. If he doesn't like the outcome it helps nothing to post on here.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #177
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
The manufacturers are not obligated to answer posts on here. Jim decided to post his grievances. Ford gave him a meeting. If he doesn't like the outcome it helps nothing to post on here.

GUMP.

The post was up almost 2 weeks before my meeting with Mark at Ford he did not give me an answer until 2 weeks after the meeting at this point he made his decision and I have accepted it I don't like it but accepted it......

I have a mountain of information that has gone on here I have not added anything new to this thread since my conversation with Mark I have simply been answering questions for the past 2 weeks like I am answering yours now.....

You say the manufacturers are not obligated to answer here on this post well they have answered they pulled their sponsorship off of this site that you have almost a thousand post on that wasn't their first answer the first answer was to pull an engine combination off the books that was already on the books with no regard to the Ford racers that can use that engine combination and if you feel that does not deserve an answer for all Ford racers to receive.? Then maybe you shouldn't post on this..

The representative of Ford is using this site to do his posting on his race series and he has answered many other questions on this site and has interacted on quite a few other post in fact just a couple days ago he started his own thread on his race series but he keeps bypassing this one as it means nothing to him it is just an answer so why not answer it.??

I gave my word to mark that I would add nothing new if you want this post to go away stop posting on it I will not answer you if you don't post on it.

Jim D'Amore
Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #178
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts

Until this post I had no idea that the FSS cars are not racing as delivered combos.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote