HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cool stuff (ing) for your seats

I thought I would pass this along, its one of those "cool" things I came across for saving weight today in my travels, and quite on accident.

I took some carpet to the upholstery shop today to have it edged while lurking around I said HEY WHATS THIS ?!?! Its called "Ever Dri" its a non foam stuff water will run right through, its not foam...its more like an odd spiderwebby stuff under a magnifying glass.

It weighs about half or less than LIGHT foam and a good 2/3 lighter than the high density 100k mile urethane closed cell stuff they use now (or old rubber based) Its stronger and firmer than I ever expected, a 2 inch piece has more "feel" than 4 inch foam and dropping your rear on a piece you can tell....yes I did I put it on the floor and dropped hard onto it.

The other wayyyyy cool thing is that its super super strong, I could sew 5 loops on each side 1 inch from the edge at a 20 inch span say across a lawn chair and sit on it without it ripping out the edges.....and it dosent strech, so it could easily replace both the springs and wires in many cases as well as being quite firm and comfy.

It cuts easier than any foam youve cut for upholstery and is easy to cut into round and compound shapes, it cuts almost like floral foam.

I obviously spent way too much time "analyzing" it but it was new to me and cool stuff, I wanted to understand how / why it works.Whereas foam works on a "compression" principal, this appears to work on a "stretch" principal, the little threads of semi rigid elasomeric stuff its made out of when you sit on it pull on each other really creating a "support" across the load, some collapse but for every one that collapses 3 of 4 "pull" across the spread.

To the touch (fingertip feel) its coarse, the stuff feels like it is Rigid and something best used in crafts, drop your butt on it .... works great. And it has near instant return unlike foams. I would LOVE to see what a bench with this stuff would drop in weight and on top of it, its really a firmer feel, it gets tighter as it collapsed like foam but quicker.

The price sucks but what light dosent, its about 200 for an 24x82 slab. But its dosent pick up moisture either like foam. (if youre bored one day take a big piece of closed cell foam and weigh it in the winter or on a dry day, then when the humidity has been about 90% for a couple days weigh it again....is heavier.....someone once made a comment I have too much time on my hands...now you really know) This stuff wouldnt do that.

Oh and its USCG approved for fire and such....Its used on Boat cushions, hence the boat Upholstery shop I have stuff done at had some he had just redone his own boat cushions with, apparenly he said it "wears" and dosent break down awesome.....

Just junk from the nut.

Cheers

Chris
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Cool stuff (ing) for your seats

Chris,

I tried to google this, found some stuff called dri-fast foam. Is this the same thing? This stuff sounds pretty cool. Trying to find somewhere to see it. Need to redo the seats in my Firebird...

Thanks,

Ken
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Cool stuff (ing) for your seats

Id try a local boat upholsery place. It looks like it made by

http://www.foamproductsgroup.com/foam-marine.htm

And it looks like you can order it from these people

http://heritagefabric.net/products_services

I know nothing other than what I saw, l would check a marine upholstery shop and see if they have a bit you can look at and play with.

I guess it called a "reticulated foam" basically they pop all the bubbles chemically and it just leaves the skelton of the structure, but now I know what its called. SCOTCHBRITE is what it looks like, I couldnt think of it....that it...but flexible strands....

I just lost 4lbs 13 1/2 ounces with it in a bucket seat tonight just came off the scale....only had 9lbs of foam to start and it looks and feels great. I will......eventually do the other one, I dont get along well with hog rings And i really shouldnt have taken time off the DP car....but I was dying to see how it REALLY worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegracing View Post
Chris,

I tried to google this, found some stuff called dri-fast foam. Is this the same thing? This stuff sounds pretty cool. Trying to find somewhere to see it. Need to redo the seats in my Firebird...

Thanks,

Ken
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote