HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
west coast

Liked 129 Times in 49 Posts
Default Re: 2 step on fuel injected cars

Art what kind of car and ecu if that is not to much to ask you dont have to answer if you dont want to that is understandable
west coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I use an MSD 2 step on mine with the FAST XFI ECU, no problems. It has nothing to do with the injectors, the MSD kills the spark. I had one customer having problems with that but he had his MSD grounded to the battery along with his XFI ECU. Don't do that, ground the MSD to the engine. Not the floor pan, roll cage, battery, etc. Directly to the engine. If your pushing fuel past the rings you much be over-fueling it. Don't do your launch air/fuel tuning from your wideband, if you can't do it on an engine dyno without the 2 step (I've never had mine on an engine dyno), go by your 60' times. The miss-firing while on the 2 step will make it look very lean to your wideband, you can end up leaving very rich. My wideband doesn't read correctly until nearly 6000 RPM on the launch. Just another reason they typically run quicker in open loop. It would be trying to fatten up a false lean condition. If your trying to run it in closed loop, be sure to set your minimum closed loop enable RPM well above your launch RPM. I picked up over a tenth just by putting mine back into full time open loop.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My ECU is a ViPec. I use LS1 coils so the only standalone 2 step I could get was from Lingenfelter The 2 step held the rpm it was set for. But the motor was over fueling.
I run open loop all the time. I don't run a long collector so the wideband is not to accurate at lower rpms.
The car has been setup on a chassis dyno using the quick tune setup in the ECU
I used a fast ECU and msd dis2. and you didn't have to worry about what to dial in. You had to worry about whether the car would start. The ViPec is a pleasure to use it starts the car with ease even in cold weather, idles great at low rpms and I don't even have the idle speed control hooked up.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

You simply had something wrong. Never a problem with my FAST, or the other racers I help that uses them. You said before you had an older version they no longer sell or support. The guys I work with that use that older version also have no problems. You had something wrong you could not fix, that does not make FAST products bad. If your pushing fuel past your rings when on the 2 step, you still have, or are doing, something wrong.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
You simply had something wrong. Never a problem with my FAST, or the other racers I help that uses them. You said before you had an older version they no longer sell or support. The guys I work with that use that older version also have no problems. You had something wrong you could not fix, that does not make FAST products bad. If your pushing fuel past your rings when on the 2 step, you still have, or are doing, something wrong.
Well Ed The motor that was pushing fuel past the rings, (the fast system was out of the car then) went 1.56 under (without reringing) with a ViPec Ecu. The fast people offered zero support for a unit that I had purchased new 2 years before. All they told me was to buy a new one
I guess I'm going to have to fix that terrible problem.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Art, curious what injectors ? The 687 cc ?

Nothing to do with the fuel in the oil, hell at 1.56 under Id agree with you, just curious how you were getting THAT much down the cylinders even

Was that on a turbo or NA setup ?

Cheers

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
Well Ed The motor that was pushing fuel past the rings, (the fast system was out of the car then) went 1.56 under (without reringing) with a ViPec Ecu. The fast people offered zero support for a unit that I had purchased new 2 years before. All they told me was to buy a new one
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #17
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooze View Post
Art, curious what injectors ? The 687 cc ?

Nothing to do with the fuel in the oil, hell at 1.56 under Id agree with you, just curious how you were getting THAT much down the cylinders even

Was that on a turbo or NA setup ?

Cheers

Chris
The injectors are from a stock Pt Cruiser I don't even know what the specs are.
I'm N/A no speed screw here. We might have been able to take fuel out of the program under a certain rpm even with wide open throttle. But before I got the 2 step I'd just hold the button and mat it, the transbrake would hold the motor to 4500.
With the 2 step I'd make a run and push oil out all over the place. Clean it up and run for 10 runs without the 2 step. Clean and no problems. Try the 2 step one more time, push oil all over and break tip off a spark plug.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #18
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
Art, if your na and it's doing that, your over fueling it. If so, try leaning it at the launch RPM and you'r likely to be faster. You evidently talked to the wrong person at FAST, as I have gotten people help with the older systems too. There are some very bright, helpful people there. I'm sorry you had problems, but if your pushing fuel past the rings on the 2 step, you still have something wrong.

That is a lot fo fuel. I wonder if the Lingenfelter 2 step is screwing with your ECU? If your battery is not grounded to the engine you might run a ground cable all the way to the engine. The biggest source of problems with EFI is grounds.

Heck, you may be as far under as the Caddy in Stock when you get it fixed.

4500 isn't very high, how big is your engine?

Last edited by Ed Wright; 12-28-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Art, if your na and it's doing that, your over fueling it. If so, try leaning it at the launch RPM and you'r likely to be faster. You evidently talked to the wrong person at FAST, as I have gotten people help with the older systems too. There are some very bright, helpful people there. I'm sorry you had problems, but if your pushing fuel past the rings on the 2 step, you still have something wrong.

That is a lot fo fuel. I wonder if the Lingenfelter 2 step is screwing with your ECU? If your battery is not grounded to the engine you might run a ground cable all the way to the engine. The biggest source of problems with EFI is grounds.

Heck, you may be as far under as the Caddy in Stock when you get it fixed.

4500 isn't very high, how big is your engine?
The 2 step in the ECU works fine no problems with it. It just took the designer of the ECU a couple of months to get it together. I don't overfuel now. I can stay on the 2 step for 5 minutes (in neutral).. And the plugs look normal
Grounding isn't a problem The battery is in the stock location. And I have a large cable directly to the block and to a ground plate. In the 70's We were the first car to use the MSD 404 box So I know what you mean about grounds
The people at fast told me there was only one person that could help, when I talked to him I realized if I wasn't running a GM motor there was not going to be any help. After fighting with the unit for a while I found out they they had no knowlege of the grey box. They just bought the company name then designed their own box. A few guys on here were a big help to get the car running.
The 2 step was inline with the coil packs. not connected to the ECU other than that.
The converter in the car then stalled at 4500 It has been modded to go to 5000 now.
The motor is 151 cubic inches.
When I ran stock (2.04 under) the caddy would have been no problem.

Last edited by art leong; 12-28-2009 at 11:51 AM.
art leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #20
Capri

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

Before I had the Accel management system I had a 2 step setup in the car with no issues. I have it off the brakelight switch and a toggle switch to shut it off so you cant reactivate it when you tap the brake pedal.
Capri is offline   Reply With Quote