HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
rod

Location: Kingman, NW AZ. in the middle of the longest stretch of Route 66
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default MSD ?'s

i have an msd 7 on my race car with a chevy dist.
i have several ?'s
1. does it matter what the point gap is? closer would be better it seems. but how much?
2. do you need to use a condenser in the dist.?
3. i have heard that the rotors with the E on the blade are better because they are shorter [that the older style, which were longer] and therefore cause a bigger/better spark at the plug. thoughts?
any thing else to add?

thanks rod
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: MSD ?'s

Rod, where in the heck did you get a points dist.? Though you can use it to operate an Ignition box it wouldn't be my first choice. Go get any electronic dist. and use it instead, remember why they got away from points? The mechanical switching of a points dist. is not as reliable as the electronic switching . As for having more GAP at the rotor tip in my opinion your weakening the spark to the plug as you're using more energy to jump the gap to the dist. lug. After the spark is produced it starts to lose it's energy immediately, so the harder you make it's travel path the less end energy you have. Joe
Old 12-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Wink Re: MSD ?'s

Do they even *make* points anymore? Please, what ever you do, put an electronic distributor in it! I'm just sayin. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Doug Blackley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had been running a points dist on my 6AL box thru this past season but am swapping out to a real distributor. I set the point gap to .022" and also don't use the condenser. I would suggest using the heavier spring Accel point set 110129 as well. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

If you use the heavier-spring points, remember the rubbing block will wear faster. As others said, get a good electronic distributor, MSD or whatever. Also, the longer rotor tip is better except for radio suppression.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Lightbulb Re: MSD ?'s

I agree, find a plug and play distributor. For the expense of a wasted race chasing electrical problems, you could pay for a new MSD or similar distributor.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 581 Times in 127 Posts

Awh Come on guys, He needs a dual points setup with a switch connecting the 2 sets so that he can retard the timing in high gear. Man I sure do miss the good old days.

Seriously if you aren't ready to spend $ on a distributor, keep using the points, they will work just fine for years.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
Adam Strang

Liked 85 Times in 19 Posts

If your distributor is in good shape the Mallory Unilite conversion kit works great.Just make sure you get the surge protector to go along with it.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
rod

Location: Kingman, NW AZ. in the middle of the longest stretch of Route 66
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

over the week-end, i did the following.
1. i phased the rotor, by sloting the vac. adv. mount, so i could advance the breaker plate. this allowed me to put the rotor exactly in line with the terminal. at both early and late mech. adv.*
2. i set the point gap at .012". i feel this will give the lowest 'movable' side acceleration speed and still give a good signal to the MSD.
3. i drilled several holes in the side of the dist. body [aluminuuuuuum] similar to the holes in the old cast iron bodies. i don't think enough oil gets into the bodies at high rpm, especially when i use the lifter cover. also i drilled a very small hole from the oil pressure groove to actually add oil pessure to the lower bush.

i still need to get an expert opinion on the 'E' rotor. there was a reason GM did that. i'm no electrician, so.....same for using/not using a condenser inside the chevy dist.

*i suppose that i could have bought an MSD rotor which has a movable tip, but i hot rodded it instead.
i have a sun dist. machine, which i really enjoy using. i can work with the weights and springs and get the adv. curve just where i want it. cool.

thanks rod the help and advice
rod is offline   Reply With Quote