HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-08-2022, 01:02 PM   #1
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,741 Times in 422 Posts
Default NHRA Sportsman Racer Advisory Council

I am of the opinion that we need a new representative in Division 2 for Stock/Super Stock. We need someone that is willing to address the concerns of all.

Anyone have an idea of how the process works?
Old 01-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
Robin Lawrence
Sponsor

Liked 637 Times in 109 Posts
Default Re: NHRA Sportsman Racer Advisory Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I am of the opinion that we need a new representative in Division 2 for Stock/Super Stock. We need someone that is willing to address the concerns of all.

I am sorry I don't know him.

Why, is he not sensitive to your input?

I have reached out to our Division 3 rep for some insight on the recent changes in the AHFS. I have also talked with another rep who I know rather well. Both could not provide me with any answers or reasoning why these changes were implemented.

The thing that disturbs me is that those that represent the racers were not involved in any discussion regarding these changes.

Robin
Old 01-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #3
J.R. Haddad

Liked 891 Times in 201 Posts

Daren, I am not familiar how one gets on or off the council, a review of
the current members looks like a competent group of racers. I can't
speak to their involvement or decision making process', or how much
latitude NHRA gives them. The Stock/SuperStock NHRA rep. is
Dave Mohn. His e-mail is dmohn@nhra.com; Perhaps he can shed
some light on the inner workings of the council.

J.R.
J.R. Haddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
Jim Bailey

Liked 589 Times in 110 Posts
Wink Re: NHRA Sportsman Racer Advisory Council

Term limits??? What a novel Idea!
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post

I know of several guys who were rep's and quit because they felt it was a joke.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:35 AM   #6
Mike Volkman

Liked 492 Times in 47 Posts

Div 1 rep is Kent Hanley and Div 2 is Mike Crutchfield. Pick up the phone and talk to them. I do all the time. Let me put this in perspective.

I don't know what the actual percentage breakdown is of racers with regards to AHFS. Really isn't this what this about? The other issues like stacking, 3 day races, etc will flair up and are handled in a pretty quick fashion.

For discussion, we will say 1/3rd of the racers have a favorable combination that they want to protect at all cost (I would too).

1/3rd are guys working on their stuff - to the extent they can financially or with knowledge - and there is no way they can catch the soft combos.

Lastly there's the 3rd who probably don't really give a hoot about AHFS unless it impacts them, and are silent.

I know for a fact that neither one of these two are paid for being a rep, nor can you bribe them. They get blamed for many decisions made and not made by NHRA as if they can force or demand NHRA to do what they want. Either can be reached at just about any time and will listen to input. Kent even walked the lanes at a recent race asking racers about AHFS at Indy - taking an informal poll of sorts and it came back 50/50 if i recall correctly and i may not have.

So which 3rd of the racers agendas do you represent? Those who want to penalize soft combos or the group who is soft? They have tried to get some type of balance repeatedly to no avail.

These two, in my opinion, remove themselves from their own agendas and work for their racers and we probably should be saying thank you instead of busting their chops. Call them and talk to them. I can't see many who would do a better job at it.

Michael Volkman

Last edited by Mike Volkman; 01-09-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Mike Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Inc View Post
Div 1 rep is Kent Hanley and Div 2 is Mike Crutchfield. Pick up the phone and talk to them. I do all the time. Let me put this in perspective.

I don't know what the actual percentage breakdown is of racers with regards to AHFS. Really isn't this what this about? The other issues like stacking, 3 day races, etc will flair up and are handled in a pretty quick fashion.

For discussion, we will say 1/3rd of the racers have a favorable combination that they want to protect at all cost (I would too).

1/3rd are guys working on their stuff - to the extent they can financially or with knowledge - and there is no way they can catch the soft combos.

Lastly there's the 3rd who probably don't really give a hoot about AHFS unless it impacts them, and are silent.

I know for a fact that neither one of these two are paid for being a rep, nor can you bribe them. They get blamed for many decisions made and not made by NHRA as if they can force or demand NHRA to do what they want. Either can be reached at just about any time and will listen to input. Kent even walked the lanes at a recent race asking racers about AHFS at Indy - taking an informal poll of sorts and it came back 50/50 if i recall correctly and i may not have.

So which 3rd of the racers agendas do you represent? Those who want to penalize soft combos or the group who is soft? They have tried to get some type of balance repeatedly to no avail.

These two, in my opinion, remove themselves from their own agendas and work for their racers and we probably should be saying thank you instead of busting their chops. Call them and talk to them. I can't see many who would do a better job at it.

Michael Volkman
What race did Kent walk the lanes and ask about Indy? He did ask about lowering the indexes at Cecil county.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #8
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,714 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:

Michael Volkman
When a simple “like” won’t suffice you quote the post and only add AMEN!
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-09-2022, 12:10 PM   #9
Mike Volkman

Liked 492 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
What race did Kent walk the lanes and ask about Indy? He did ask about lowering the indexes at Cecil county.
Yep you're right. Was indexes. Does it matter? You still have 2 groups with their agendas. No side will make everyone happy. NHRA, SRAC, etc....damned if they do and damned if they don't!
Mike Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:11 PM   #10
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,741 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
...with regards to AHFS. Really isn't this what this about?
Yes.

Quote:
I think that this is a fair statement.

Quote:
If a racer feels that they have picked a good combination and that work, money, and knowledge will make it a contender, I don't see a problem. If a racer wants charity, I do see one.

If a racer has beaten their combination to death, or had it beaten to death by others, or picked a combination that has been beaten to death, I think that falls into the "that's life" category.

Quote:
Those who want to penalize soft combos or the group who is soft?
Love Ya Mike, but I think that this post lost merit when the language switched from "favorable" to "soft".

Quote:
I can't see many who would do a better job at it.
Maybe if I was on the mailing list I would come to the same conclusion? I think that the job would be a real pain for sure. I wouldn't want it!!

It is incredible how many calls, messages, and texts I have gotten over my recent threads. It's very interesting to see what rises to the top when you stir the pot enough.....