HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #11
Stocker Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow, i knew you guys would come through! thanks to all who commented on my question, i appreciate all the effort. my project has lost a little steam, i was disappointed when it all didnt come together as quickly as i thought it should. but, since the 2nd week of jan, the engine is 90% done, the trans is almost completed, chassis and suspension are completed and the body shell is painted. maybe i'll be ready for the last indy open or doorslammers. still alot to go....

thanks again, guys..

wade owens
66 chevelle l/sa

Stocker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Alan,, We picked up a very nice virgin "163" intake a few weeks back at a swap meet for a future 375/396 combo. I'm not familiar with the "359" intake. Could you tell us a little more about it?
Thanks for any info,,,,,,,,,,,, Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #13
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,042 Times in 274 Posts

Danny, the "359" intake is the new GM replacement for the "163" intake, available at your local GM dealer. Well worth taking a look at.

Alan Roehrich

Bring "AA" classes to NHRA Stock Eliminator!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Danny,
The intake in question is a refined intake. The one I have examined had some very needed improvement over the 163 intake. You will first notice the fuel channels below the carb run across the plenum florr instead of down the ports. I would assume it helps with raw fuel (separated fuel) and helps it re mix with air. There are a couple of others thing , but it helps to measure & compare one to the other. A good piece & priced right!

Adger Smith
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Also, the plenum wall is cut some. If you have a 69 or earlier car, you cannot run a cut plenum 163, but you can run the 359 with the shallow plenum cut. Compare the two side by side and you'll see and measure other differences.

Alan Roehrich

Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #16
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks a lot fellas,, I appreciate the info. I'll let my buddy who is collecting the pieces for his son's 69 Camaro know about this. It makes sense to check out both intakes and go from there.
Alan and Adger,,, you guys are great! Danny Durham
Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #17
FlyingW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The 396/375 hp cars that are flying and that are more than likely going to get hit with hp are us guys that run the aluminum heads. sometimes better is going to get you. like right know due to the hit we got at the begining of the year took from 375/390 hp to 375/395hp took my 69 camaro from 3485 to 3525 lbs min weight if we get bumped to 400 horse at 8.5 x 400 +170 ( aloted weight for the driver) = 3570lbs almost 100lbs. thats a tenth or they say............ but it is the best combo to run because its so fun.........

Jeremy Waibel
K&N B/SA 69 camaro
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #18
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

The other real advantage to the 401 aluminum head is you don't spend tons of time and money hunting virgin closed chamber cast iron heads. GM stopped producing the 291 cast iron head about 5 years ago, and the others decades before that. Some of them (the 291 heads) are still around for a decent price. But if you go hunting the others, you can pay $1K for what amounts to worn out junk, and as much as $3K+ for good stuff, and that's BEFORE you do a valve job and mill them. We may build a 396 over the winter, depending on how NHRA treats the combination this year. If some of the guys keep hammering it, and NHRA hits it hard, we'll just stick with the 427.

Alan Roehrich

Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #19
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

We did a little researching in the pits at Seattle this weekend and had a nice conversation with Cal and Mary Ann Method who had her Nova in "A" trim for the divisional. They had a "359" intake on the car and the GMPP aluminum heads. The feeling there was that another hit might negate the advantage of the aluminum heads and they might go back to the cast iron heads. Of course many racers have built up inventories of parts over time and can change back and forth as the need arrives. I guess for racers starting out with this combo it makes sense to go out of the GMPP catalog, at least to get the new car up and going.
My 2 cents.................... Danny Durham