HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Radial tire question

Thanks, Mike. I've never had that. I have a low hp car that always just dead hooks.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
Mike Rietow

Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Thanks, Mike. I've never had that. I have a low hp car that always just dead hooks.
This is low hp as well around 750hp, with aim to dip in the 5's 1/8 N/A 23 sbc @3250 pds 10 x 28 bias tire. New combo just for fun, no particular class in mind. We kinda stumbled on using the wheelspeed to our advantage, first time we took it out went 6.01 on a set of ten year old tires. A lot of wheelspeed w /no wheelstand. Took it from there using shock adjustments favorable for wheelspeed on new tires to keep the car off the bumper no wheely bars.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Thing about radials on a stick car, stick cars usually need to turn the tires a little at launch. Radials don't "recover" like bias slicks. I was with a friend who had a fast Pro Stock car, when he decided to try to make radials work. Last I asked him about it, he never made them work. When radials spin, from what I have seen, they spin. Bias tires I have had recover much better.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 03-22-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

FWIW,a few years ago a friend was running a 305 stocker stick car.I let him try my Hoosier 9x30 radials.Had them at 15-16 psi.I run 20-22 on my auto.Made 2 runs hooked on both,picked up just under a tenth and almost 1 mph over his M/T bias.The track had good bite that day. gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #15
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa612 View Post
FWIW,a few years ago a friend was running a 305 stocker stick car.I let him try my Hoosier 9x30 radials.Had them at 15-16 psi.I run 20-22 on my auto.Made 2 runs hooked on both,picked up just under a tenth and almost 1 mph over his M/T bias.The track had good bite that day. gsa612
When I did try this a few years ago, I had to run them down to 10-12 PSI, they didn't work at all at the normal 20 PSI range that the auto trans guys seem to run. Interestingly, I picked up nothing as far as ET goes which surprised me.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

Not a stick guy but good reading and learning. Back in the 70s I would go to the track with a good friend who had a 64 Vette M/P 277 cu in. They had to spin the tires (14x32) at 10,000 + rpm or it would stand on the bumper. Not too much science in clutches back then. I imagine a dead hook with radials would rattle teeth and pull your eyes back around your head, and very hard on parts.
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #17
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
When I did try this a few years ago, I had to run them down to 10-12 PSI, they didn't work at all at the normal 20 PSI range that the auto trans guys seem to run. Interestingly, I picked up nothing as far as ET goes which surprised me.
You would think at that low psi it would drive the rim into the ground making the tire oval,then unload on extension with the radial sidewall.You may have to change launch rpm and clutch settings and tighten the shocks for less "hit' to get it off the line clean.It would be more of a challenge on a higher HP combo. gsa612

Last edited by gsa612; 03-21-2019 at 12:38 PM.
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
Mike Rietow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Thing about radials on a stick car, stick cars usually need to turn thebtires a little at launch. Radials don't "recover" like bias slicks. I was with a friend who had a fast Pro Stock car, when he decided to try to make radials work. Last I asked him about it, he never made them work. When radials spin, from what I have seen, they spin. Bias tires I have had recover much better.
Someone will bridge the gap. They always do. It's essential-intrinsic.

Last edited by Mike Rietow; 03-21-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Mike Rietow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #19
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

Mike, not bashing your product but have you checked with NHRA about the legality of this for Stock & SS? The reason I ask is that I proposed something similar to this quite some time ago and was told absolutely not. They said that anything that affected the release of the clutch linkage would not be legal. I think their issue is that this kinda gets into the delay box gray area. Jim
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #20
Mike Rietow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
Mike, not bashing your product but have you checked with NHRA about the legality of this for Stock & SS? The reason I ask is that I proposed something similar to this quite some time ago and was told absolutely not. They said that anything that affected the release of the clutch linkage would not be legal. I think their issue is that this kinda gets into the delay box gray area. Jim
By-product- ramification of rolling up sleeves unambiguously, possibly. Unless new tire technology solves the equation. Although once that happens, it's no longer an advantage, dominion.

If you're referring to me.