HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #61
Barry Polley

Liked 538 Times in 222 Posts
Default Re: NHRA "FIXED" Factory Showdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
You guys are bewildered about the high cost, $400000 for FS Racer.
Or for that matter any Stocker today.
You give accolades to a person building a Dime Racer.
These Cars are slower than Pure Stockers!
You diss CM and PS even though they are cost effective Stockers.
You all wave your arms up and down how NHRA may kill S/SS.
Because it is a lot more difficult to govern and tech.
There is nothing Stock about our Stockers..
It is SS with a smaller cam and tire now with Solid Lifters.

Now you wish I go away because ....!?
Topics about FS and... most folks are tired of hearing about a cost effective stock or SS race car. That would be a bracket car and not a good bracket car. Race within your means and don’t complain about it. It’s still a performance based class last time I checked. That is what’s most appealing to me..

Last edited by Barry Polley; 03-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Barry Polley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #62
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

I think as time goes on these cars will gather more sponsors and it will cost less for the individuals participating. Do you think DSR or Force Racing cuts a check out of the company to enter these races or pay for the parts or repairs? Sponsors do. Do you think the 50,000 or whatever prize money they win really pays the expenses for a weekend and shows a profit? Probably not.

The bracket guy and sportsman pay most out of their pocket go these races and complete for the big money. But if they don’t win and loose in the later rounds does the money really work out? Racing for and winning are 2 different things. I’m not sure it does or not.

When the sportsman racer shows up with a 500,000 plus rig not including the car or anything else how much does he have to win to make it worth it?
Maybe racing with a little less overhead makes the math work better.

This is about showdown racing. It’s not about turning a profit from prize money. It helps the engine guy sell more engines, the company advertise on a bigger stage with more exposure. The individual driving to expand his opportunities and advancement. There’s more to it.

I’f you are racing for a career or to become financially stable I wish you luck. Maybe try out for the Yankees, Cowboys or Bruins on the off weekends. Just in case that doesn’t work out. Very few have the talent to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomo View Post
I think the big question is why can a guy with a 10,000 dollar bracket car race in any part of the country for 10,000 to 20,000 on just about any weekend with next to no fans and a guy with. 200,000 dollar car racing in front of sold out crowds in a factory supported class is racing for 1500.00...just maybe the racer needs a little bigger slice of the NHRA pie...if your lucky enough to win any class in the biggest racing organization in drag racing NHRA ...it should at least pay your expenses for the weekend when you look at the fact that there are bracket races paying more for one race than NHRA pays for there world championship kinda takes the shine off there championship...Hell street outlaws race for 40,000$ an episode with full tv coverage and they have a fan base and TV ratings...and I know for a fact that those cars can be built a lot cheaper than a factory stock car...Love NHRA racing just think it's time racers get a little slice of the pie

Last edited by Todd Hoven; 03-20-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Todd Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #63
BG56

Liked 274 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
I think as time goes on these cars will gather more sponsors and it will cost less for the individuals participating. Do you think DSR or Force Racing cuts a check out of the company to enter these races or pay for the parts or repairs? Sponsors do. Do you think the 50,000 or whatever prize money they win really pays the expenses for a weekend and shows a profit? Probably not.

The bracket guy and sportsman pay most out of their pocket go these races and complete for the big money. But if they don’t win and loose in the later rounds does the money really work out? Racing for and winning are 2 different things. I’m not sure it does or not.

When the sportsman racer shows up with a 500,000 plus rig not including the car or anything else how much does he have to win to make it worth it?
Maybe racing with a little less overhead makes the math work better.

This is about showdown racing. It’s not about turning a profit from prize money. It helps the engine guy sell more engines, the company advertise on a bigger stage with more exposure. The individual driving to expand his opportunities and advancement. There’s more to it.

I’f you are racing for a career or to become financially stable I wish you luck. Maybe try out for the Yankees, Cowboys or Bruins on the off weekends. Just in case that doesn’t work out. Very few have the talent to do it.
You have to admit $1500 is laughable (and embarrassing). Yeah they choose to do it for whatever reason, God bless em. I posted in the off-season requesting payout info and the consensus was what's been stated here. But for NHRA to post a picture of the winner with that paltry check? Ooof.
BG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #64
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG56 View Post
You have to admit $1500 is laughable (and embarrassing). Yeah they choose to do it for whatever reason, God bless em. I posted in the off-season requesting payout info and the consensus was what's been stated here. But for NHRA to post a picture of the winner with that paltry check? Ooof.
No it should be more for sure. This is not the only organization with the current payout situation

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/nasc...-cars-run.html
Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #65
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Well Jerry, I guess that you've never heard the old saying "If you want to make a small fortune "doing add your own venture" then start with a large one.
So you have "money managers" taking care of your racing investments?
Must be a 21ST Century thing...
Billy, I have heard the old saying numerous times,and I do not have a "money manager",
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #66
George Fitzpatrick

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts

NHRA Contingency $300 and $100 winner/runner up, that adds more to the winnings.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #67
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Fitzpatrick View Post
NHRA Contingency $300 and $100 winner/runner up, that adds more to the winnings.
I guess it depends on what you're driving. Not anymore for me.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #68
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
Billy, I have heard the old saying numerous times,and I do not have a "money manager",
"Money manager" aka...."wife" lol. gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #69
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Looks like the FS Showdown cars will be slowing down ( at least the 2019 COPOs and 2019 Cobra Jets....

From the NHRA tech department.....

NHRA Technical Department Makes Parity Adjustment to the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown

Based on SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown performance numbers from the first race of the 2019 season, the NHRA Technical Department is increasing the supercharger top pulley size on the 2019 COPO 350 combination from 3.350 inches to 3.500 inches and the 2019 Cobra Jet 327 combination from 3.250 inches to 3.500 inches. This will decrease the 2019 COPO 350 combination supercharger overdrive from 147.5 percent to 136.6 percent overdrive or 10.9 percent. Additionally, this will decrease the 2019 Cobra Jet 327 combination supercharger overdrive from 146.2 percent to 128.6 percent or 17.6 percent. As a reminder, no other changes may be made to all approved superchargers, including, but not limited to: (upper or lower pulley sizes, gear ratios, cases, rotors, etc.). All other permitted combinations in the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown will remain unchanged. This rule change will go into effect immediately. NHRA reserves the right in the future to make additional rule changes to control performance and maintain parity in the category.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #70
B.D.D.2

Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Damn I wish Pure Stock was back.
Getting it set up to make STOCK is $10000.
Another $10000 to make it competitive with other care in class
And that is cheap.
To really make it all up requires frame up restoration to benefit from all the rules. Weight shifting, special bearings, REM, metal treatment. ETC

The concept of Stock left reality a long time ago.

They are Comp cars with a smaller cam.
This guy is STILL talking about pure stock!? Let it go man....its over. I thought this thread was about FS????