HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts
Default Master Cutoff Switch

After returning from a month "down South" working Div 2 races including both the Baby Gators and the Gatornationals I must comment on an important issue I found missing on a lot of racecars.

As stated in the 2019 NHRA rulebook, master cutoff switches MUST be clearly marked for the OFF position. That means both the left-right lever style and the push-pull type.

It would seem simple to turn the switch off if an incident happens on the track. But let's look at it a different way. After an incident on track the first person to arrive at the scene will turn the master cutoff switch to the off position. The second person arriving may not know that the switch has been turned off and turn it the other way which would turn the system back on. This can happen when the switch is NOT clearly marked.

The other one is the push-pull type. Everyone knows that push OFF is the way these switches work....or do they. Marking with a PUSH OFF label will assure that in an incident the power gets turned OFF. All it takes is for one person to pull the switch and the system is reactivated.

Marking your master cutoff switch is a simple yet very important way to let everyone know which way is OFF.
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,582 Times in 1,279 Posts
Default Re: Master Cutoff Switch

Thanks for the heads up Travis....that’s some valuable info right there....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

It would only make sense for a push-pull type of lever to turn the power off when pushed, as in backing the car into a wall. But, common sense has not been too common for many, many years........

Any car I work on has that switch properly marked, I never want anything to happen to one of my friends or customers, as well as myself and family members driving one of our cars!
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
CMcAllister

Liked 734 Times in 204 Posts

Rulebook states "push" must be the off action on a push-pull type mechanism. And most of the levers on switches I'm aware of go CCW to turn off if it's mounted that way. Also states it must be marked.

I'm a fan of having some type of secondary cable or other way of operating the master from the driver's seat, for both safety and convenience.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,410 Times in 1,948 Posts

I have one in the car next to me that kills everything, just in case!
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
I have one in the car next to me that kills everything, just in case!

Ditto.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
Ditto.
This Might be part of the problem, you get in an accident, shut your power off, first guy there thinks he’s turning it off and has turned it back on...
It should also be mandatory if you have one inside the car it moves the lever outside the car also, which I’m sure most people already do
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,410 Times in 1,948 Posts

The disconnect inside the car will not be affected by the outside disconnect being in the on position. The outside disconnect feeds the inside disconnect.

w
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #9
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
This Might be part of the problem, you get in an accident, shut your power off, first guy there thinks he’s turning it off and has turned it back on...
It should also be mandatory if you have one inside the car it moves the lever outside the car also, which I’m sure most people already do
When I had a push-pull system, I had a cable running from the trunk switch to a lever in the cockpit, Pushing the lever physically moved the rod on the back bumper. Since emergency persons are trained to move that switch, they could possibly turn the car back on. My current setup is a rotary switch on the back deck that cuts all power between the battery and the car. The power feed into the cabin is through a continuous duty Cole Hearse solenoid connected to an aircraft switch on the console to energize it. If something goes haywire I can slap that switch and kill all the accessories and ignition power. There is still one hot wire in the cabin (the battery cable) but the juice isn't going anywhere. It's a quick way of shutting off the ignition and fuel pump without flipping multiple switches.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

If I have battery in stock location and add a second battery in back do I need a master cut off switch?
I think I don't but asking as I need to add a battery.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote