HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Vehicle contact

Just wondering if anyone remembers a rule about not touching a vehicle in competition after it has pre-staged?

It may just be old-age (I suffer from a mild form of CRS ) but lately it seems that there is a larger "gaggle" of crew (and owners) at the starting line during final rounds at some of the more recent NHRA events. I'm not talking about the folks who play "toreador" during a burn-out, either, jumping out of the way at the last instant! Ole'!!

While watching the FS1 broadcast this past weekend I noticed at least a few instances of crewmen touching the vehicle while it was staging, and one where the driver had already lit the stage bulb (the announcer noticed it also!). I knew that there was a rule on the books about no vehicle contact during a burnout, but this latest occurrence had me puzzled. Are they going to wait until someone gets injured before something is done?
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Default Re: Vehicle contact

My understanding is **** you cannot hold the vehicle while doing a burn out***---also they do allow A(ONE) crewmember to adjust the wheelie bars or to turn on the *data recorder switch* or to "assist "(waving) the driver in pulling forward to the approximate pre stage line ---Not sure what you are referring to by "touching"---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

I saw at least 1 crew-person "touch" the back of a car "after" the driver had staged. The instance was noticeable enough for Alan Reinhart to remark that it was "a little late to adjust the parachute".

There was also a crew-person on a Pro-Stock Motorcycle team who appeared (at least to me) to put his hand on the wheelie-bar as the bike left the starting line. It was the second time I noticed his close proximity to the bike during the event.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is a "trend" that should be looked at by Race Officials.
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

**** repairing/readjusting anything after you are in the PRE stage mode I would think is a NO NO---touching the wheelie bar sounds like a good way to lose a limb not sure what he is trying to accomplish with that maneuver---seen a lot of crazy things over the years but not touching a wheelie bar while staged or pre staged----FED 387
Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

I am guessing that what you are seeing is someone activating the data recorder. The switch is usually on the rear of the car and is not activated until both cars are prestaged in order to not run out of record time. This is a common practice and not illegal.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
FED 387
VIP Member

Not sure what the chute deal is all about unless the crewmember noticed that the chutecable might be just about ready to come out ... other than that I personally think that it's sink or swim time. The race is beginning no more further adjustments allowed or what ever it is he was doing FED387
Old 09-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts

I wonder if this guy was activating a data recorder:

6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Skydog

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Silverman View Post
Just wondering if anyone remembers a rule about not touching a vehicle in competition after it has pre-staged?

It may just be old-age (I suffer from a mild form of CRS ) but lately it seems that there is a larger "gaggle" of crew (and owners) at the starting line during final rounds at some of the more recent NHRA events. I'm not talking about the folks who play "toreador" during a burn-out, either, jumping out of the way at the last instant! Ole'!!

While watching the FS1 broadcast this past weekend I noticed at least a few instances of crewmen touching the vehicle while it was staging, and one where the driver had already lit the stage bulb (the announcer noticed it also!). I knew that there was a rule on the books about no vehicle contact during a burnout, but this latest occurrence had me puzzled. Are they going to wait until someone gets injured before something is done?
Remember the Blue Line deal NHRA had, good idea that didn't last long.
I agree with all points.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Silverman View Post
I saw at least 1 crew-person "touch" the back of a car "after" the driver had staged. The instance was noticeable enough for Alan Reinhart to remark that it was "a little late to adjust the parachute".

There was also a crew-person on a Pro-Stock Motorcycle team who appeared (at least to me) to put his hand on the wheelie-bar as the bike left the starting line. It was the second time I noticed his close proximity to the bike during the event.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is a "trend" that should be looked at by Race Officials.
I saw the chute deal too, weird. The PS motorcycle, I think they are marking the track (at the bar wheel) when the bike is staged and they do it rather quickly, it does look like they're grabbing something. I noticed it too.