HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
tbirdlindsey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question stocker engine question

I've built my own motors for years but they all have been for other type racing but i know that building a stocker motor is totally different i'm sure - is there a source for info like clearances , rings , oil pumps , little tricks , etc. I would think that everything is done to reduce drag and increase power . I know there are engine builders that know what to do to get all there is out of an engine . The engine in the car now is a kuntz motor and i doubt i'll ever know anything like him but i have the pieces to build another motor and would like to try. And can anybody tell me what .015 to the crank would help and how is it achieved ? Thanks
tbirdlindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 495 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: stocker engine question

The only book that I know of that goes into some of it is "Engine Blueprinting" by ex-Super Stock racer Rick Voeglin. The .015" rule on crankshaft stroke allows builders to offset grind the rod journals .013" to gain a little more stroke, while indexing it as well and remain legal.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

If you have a Kuntz engine already but wanna do your own, I'd disassemble it and measure Everything in it.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
tbirdlindsey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well that's a good idea but it's being used at this time and i thought i'd try to have one ready to try .
tbirdlindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
terry1

Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Re: stocker engine question

The book I use is the cheque book.
Terry K
terry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdlindsey View Post
I've built my own motors for years but they all have been for other type racing but i know that building a stocker motor is totally different i'm sure - is there a source for info like clearances , rings , oil pumps , little tricks , etc. I would think that everything is done to reduce drag and increase power . I know there are engine builders that know what to do to get all there is out of an engine . The engine in the car now is a kuntz motor and i doubt i'll ever know anything like him but i have the pieces to build another motor and would like to try. And can anybody tell me what .015 to the crank would help and how is it achieved ? Thanks
If you log in, you can do a search: " stocker "crank, heads, cam etc. and find some great posts by some of the most knowledgeable people in the sport. Good luck
MJ
Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked