HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Towing with a 1/2 Suburban

I plan on buying an enclosed trailer soon and bringing the rest of my stuff to Las Vegas from Florida. Suburban has the 6400 lbs brake kit, planning on upgrading to 8400 lbs brakes, suspension wise if I am not mistaken is the lighest weight for a 1988....6100, 6400, 6700? Can not remember right now. With these brakes and suspension, what size enclosed would anyone recommend? I plan on updating brakes and want to get heavier springs and install over axle airbags. I was thinking with these mods and good towing tires, a 28 footer should be all my Suburban could handle. Towing out to Vegas from Florida, about 2400 miles give or take, with a 12 footer way overloaded U-Haul trailer, all together trailer and "junk" was guestimating 4000 lbs, give or take. Suburban has a 350, 700r4, 3.73 8.2 28 spline axles. A few years ago I saw someone towing a mid20 footer with a Tahoe so maybe I'm not that far off in my thinking. Suburban has been upgraded with a HUGE aluminum radiator, twin electric fans, power steering cooler, trans cooler, deep aluminum trans pan, motor has 35 lbs at idle, 55 lbs at speed, lets put it this way, if I put a hand on it, it got replaced and upgraded. Any thoughts? Plan on towing a stocker or super stocker. Also planning on using the front 8 foot for a lounge/sleeper area if thats the route I go.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: Towing with a 1/2 Suburban

I would not tow any enclosed triler with that setup. You are asking but nothing but trouble. The min I would go is a Dodge 2500 or equivalent better yet would be dodge 3500 diesel setup
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

David, a Suburban is what I have to work with so that is the route I'm going. I have towed up to 6000 lbs with this set-up before and did not have a problem but it was a short distance, from Tampa to Gainsville , about 140 miles, give or take. New 1/2 ton trucks these days can tow 10,000 and up lbs so updating an 88 Suburban should not be a problem. Bigger brakes all around, an axle out of a newer Silverado with a wider track, bigger axles and carrier , h.d. springs and an over the axle airbag system. Can't remember where I saw it but there is a kit to convert 1/2 ton diffs to full floaters. 28 foot enclosed is pretty big I will admit, but when the car, or truck stocker or super stocker is done, yes, I will move up to a bigger truck, if not a motorhome of some sort. Trucks of bigger size with trailer or a motorhome will prob. be required to go thru weigh stations, depending on size. Suburbans from my understanding don't. Not out of the question investing in a Trailer Toad, theres 2 for sale here, and prob. alot more on RacingJunk. I mentioned a lounge in the front 8 foot, it won't have a bathroom, maybe a fresh water and gray water tanks but just for a sink, just a microwave, small fridge and place to sit/sleep.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 517 Posts

not sure if that trans will hold up, i towed a 24' once with my 2003- 350, 1500 series van. don't think it was the 700r4 though. it did not like it at all. ok for short distance. just sounds kinda weak for such a long haul. and the toad works great for any situation as this....
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick lester View Post
David, a Suburban is what I have to work with so that is the route I'm going. I have towed up to 6000 lbs with this set-up before and did not have a problem but it was a short distance, from Tampa to Gainsville , about 140 miles, give or take. New 1/2 ton trucks these days can tow 10,000 and up lbs so updating an 88 Suburban should not be a problem. Bigger brakes all around, an axle out of a newer Silverado with a wider track, bigger axles and carrier , h.d. springs and an over the axle airbag system. Can't remember where I saw it but there is a kit to convert 1/2 ton diffs to full floaters. 28 foot enclosed is pretty big I will admit, but when the car, or truck stocker or super stocker is done, yes, I will move up to a bigger truck, if not a motorhome of some sort. Trucks of bigger size with trailer or a motorhome will prob. be required to go thru weigh stations, depending on size. Suburbans from my understanding don't. Not out of the question investing in a Trailer Toad, theres 2 for sale here, and prob. alot more on RacingJunk. I mentioned a lounge in the front 8 foot, it won't have a bathroom, maybe a fresh water and gray water tanks but just for a sink, just a microwave, small fridge and place to sit/sleep.

You are gping to be way over the 6000# with a 28 footer and a car. You seem to have your mind made up. Its just not eh towing capacity, if you get into any cross wind, your Suburban will end up on its side
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

David, you quoted me but you didn't read it. I did say I will be updating, I should of said I will be upgrading....Up Grading. Bigger springs, bigger brakes, over the axle airbags, stronger axle, also will go from 5 lug to 6 lug. Yes, trying to add parts to tow an extra 4000 lbs more then the Suburban is set up for right now, 6000 lbs, is going to be a huge expense and alot of time, but I think it will be worth it. As I said 28 footer is really going to be pushing it even with the UPGRADES, and as I said before, once racecar is done, I will buy a bigger truck or a motorhome.
Now, as for a crosswind, how do you explain motorcoaches and stackers not blowing over? Yes they are wider then a Suburban, but there also much taller. Other then towing from Florida to Las Vegas, I don't think I will be traveling that far for the first year or two when racercar is done, and by that time I will have something bigger.
If you think I am someone that has no clue, let me introduce my self. Hello David Lee, my name is Rick Lester, 42 years old. I have been racing since 1985, got my first win bracket racing second time out, got my super comp license at 17, road race for years, built many race motors, mostly Top Dragster in the 90s, I will admit not alot in the way of class racing, one of my racing heroes is the late Lee Sherman, have towed all over the U.S. with anything from a long bed 3/4 ton pickup with an open trailer to a TopKick with a triple axle 40some foot 5th wheel to a 18 wheeler, can't remember brand but it had a sleeper with a 50some footer hooked up and everything inbetween.
As you can see, I do know what I'm doing, and thats not saying you don't know either. I ask for opinions and help and you did just that, and I do thank you. If I upgrade to a bigger truck right now I won't be able to build a racercar, so you see where I'm coming from.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Keith, Before towing I will have the trans gone thru. Bought it used off of Craigslist for 100 bucks and so far its been great, but with the upgrades I plan on doing and the weight I'll be dealing with, I think I got my moneys worth. Lol..
Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
jim powers

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

i towed with a suburban back in the 80's and early 90's but it was a 3/4 ton suburban, and it really was not ideal even with a 24 ft trailers behind it, got interesting out on the turnpike on windy days or when getting passed by alot of 18 wheller traffic!!
jim powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

The ultimate problem is that split second you take your mind off driving and STOPPING BECOMES AN ISSUE. Getting it rolling down the road will not ever be impotant as handling and ESPECIALLY STOPPING. We have all been white knuckled enough to remember close calls. I have done the 1/2 ton tow thing and it was always a challenge.....there is no room for errors.
Rusty Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

There has been 20 plus year advancement in weight and handling since the early 90s, nowadays a 1/2 ton can handle more now then a 1 ton from 20 years ago. Did anybody read what I wrote? I said I will be UPGRADING. Look it up in a dictionary if you don't understand the meaning of the word. I know not to hook a 6000 lb max anything to a 10000plus gross trailer, the math doesnt add up, I know that. I know even with a properly equipt truck/trailer combo, somethings always going to happen, usually due to other drivers around you that have no clue how to drive.
Tell you all what, instead of beating around the bush and calling me an idiot, why don't you come up with ideas to help me like, "Call this guy, can make you a set of springs that will gain you 2000 lbs towing cap", or "Upgrade all you can, sounds like a great idea, but drop down to a 26 or 24 footer and just head to a hotel."
Just comparing a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 against my 1988 Suburban, I know its like comparing apples to oranges but if thats the truck I need to compare to, so be it. Dodge 2500 has a rear track of 68", Suburban is 66" if I remember correctly, and I know I can add a inch to a inch and a half to each side so width argument is a mute point. Wheelbase is another area I'm sure you all are thinking the Dodge would have an advantage, and in the case of a mega cab swb 160", crew cab swb 149", reg cab lwb 140" vs 1988 Suburban 129" so you got me there. Again apple to oranges comparision remember. So answer this, why can I not spend 3 grand to upgrade suspension and brakes to tow a 28 foot trailer? Willing to listen to intelligent answers only. Not out of the question to drop down to a 26 or a 24 foot trailer, did find a new 26 v nose with 7000lb axles. Yes I know 10400 lb axles are way better but looking to tow with what I have WITH UPGRADES.

Last edited by rick lester; 05-11-2012 at 06:44 PM.