Liked 1,595 Times in 371 Posts
Default Re: Continuing the quota discussion

With past world champions
2018 division champs
Top 10 in the world 2018
You have your 64 +. Car fields. Problem solved
Being the divisionals are for Everybody
We as racers need to start run Class at divisionals
I mean divisionals are a circus index..racers track host race..jr dragsters leds
We are watching all this stuff With Nothing For Us.
They don’t want us at National Events we are too much work
Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Continuing the quota discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
The problem is MONEY. The pros and TV bring in the money and we cost nhra time and money, even though they are still a not for profit and need us to help keep that status.

Now in keeping with the nhra's desire for money, each Sportsman entry should be viewed as a commodity that it sells to a captive membership. One way to influence nhra's thinking may be to set all the quotas at 64 for national events save Indy. Then once the quotas are full nhra could add dollars to the entry fees. Lets say a race fills at 7 grade points. The value of the nhra entry commodity would increase for racers who want to enter with 6 grade points. Add $100.00 per grade point until a maximum of 90 entries have been sold for each category. In short, it falls on the racer. How damn bad do you want to race? It may cost a racer almost $700.00 if he/she has 3 grade points and the race is still open at 3 grade points. Like I said, how bad do you want to race? This way nhra is still living up to it's charter and the rest is on the racers, as far as entries are concerned. And you still have to park in the boonies!
NOT that "F" ing bad !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #13
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
The problem is MONEY. The pros and TV bring in the money and we cost nhra time and money, even though they are still a not for profit and need us to help keep that status.

Now in keeping with the nhra's desire for money, each Sportsman entry should be viewed as a commodity that it sells to a captive membership. One way to influence nhra's thinking may be to set all the quotas at 64 for national events save Indy. Then once the quotas are full nhra could add dollars to the entry fees. Lets say a race fills at 7 grade points. The value of the nhra entry commodity would increase for racers who want to enter with 6 grade points. Add $100.00 per grade point until a maximum of 90 entries have been sold for each category. In short, it falls on the racer. How damn bad do you want to race? It may cost a racer almost $700.00 if he/she has 3 grade points and the race is still open at 3 grade points. Like I said, how bad do you want to race? This way nhra is still living up to it's charter and the rest is on the racers, as far as entries are concerned. And you still have to park in the boonies!
I like this too! Normally I wouldn't pay the extra money, but when I'm having people fly across the country to watch me race, it would be nice to be certain I could enter.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

The real problem with the quotas is the amount of classes they have now running the national events. Back when I started the classes were
Too fuel
Funny car
Pro Comp
Pro stock
Comp
Modified
Super stock
Stock

Now
Too fuel
Funny car
Alcohol dragster
Alcohol funny car
Pro mod
Pro stock
Pro stock motorcycle
Too dragster
Top sportsman
Comp
Super stock
Stock
Super comp
Super gas
Super street

To make this happen NHRA has taken away quota from stock and Super stock to make room for these newer classes.
One other observation on my part. Provisional entries should never counted toward the quota seeing how they don’t need grade points to enter.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #15
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

Unfortunately one problem I see is the withdrawal of racers at the last minute. The reason this is a problem is NHRA sets quotas based on previous attendance. Many times I see stock and super stock not at quota on the last day of entry because of all the withdrawals. It is a never ending downward spiral for quotas.

Only solutions I see is no refunds for withdrawals (sucks if you break your car). Hot rod drag week is a $400 pre entry and if you withdrawal no money back. Many big dollar bracket races are the same way.

alternate Change withdrawal dates. Make it 3 weeks before event or you do not get money back, so there will be time for others to change schedule so they can take off work and enter.

I would also like to see pit spaces assigned by amount of grade points. This way racers do not have to take off a whole week to get in line for stacking on monday to race on friday, especially since there is no thursday tech

Last edited by rognelson777; 01-14-2019 at 12:04 PM.
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #16
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognelson777 View Post
I would also like to see pit spaces assigned by amount of grade points. This way racers do not have to take off a whole week to get in line for stacking on monday to race on friday, especially since there is no thursday tech
I arrive at events as late as anybody. I have never been denied the opportunity to race because I didn't spend days in stacking.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

I would say top to bottom all of the racers with provisional entries try to enter after the field is full. Very few forget and enter before that final Monday the week of the race. So in effect the racers with provisional entries are not counted until the quota is full. Hats off to former World Champs, top ten in national points, last years race winner, and divisional champs for waiting to enter .

Last edited by Larry Hill; 01-15-2019 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Change closed to full
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #18
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Larry, This is from the NHRA website. No one can enter after the field is closed.

Provisional entries must enter the event online at www.nhraeventreg.com
prior to the deadline date/time (1:00 PM
Pacific time Monday of race week). Provisional entries WILL NOT be
accepted after the event deadline date/time. A provisional driver that enters an event and then withdraws, will NOT be allowed to re-enter.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #19
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
Larry, This is from the NHRA website. No one can enter after the field is closed.

Provisional entries must enter the event online at www.nhraeventreg.com
prior to the deadline date/time (1:00 PM
Pacific time Monday of race week). Provisional entries WILL NOT be
accepted after the event deadline date/time. A provisional driver that enters an event and then withdraws, will NOT be allowed to re-enter.
I think what Larry meant was that provisionals are usually nice about letting the quota fill before they enter so their entries don't affect the car count. They still get their entries in before the deadline, just after the quota got filled.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #20
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

Dan I changed closed to full. How I wrote it was incorrect thanks for the correction.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote