HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 06-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 392 Times in 181 Posts
Default Dragster maintenance

how hard is it to maintenance dragster ? and when buying a used dragster what should I look for ?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Dragster maintenance

Maintenance on a dragster is easier than it is on a door car, it's all just right there in the open. But, like any drag car, you need to do a bunch. Tighten everything, check everything else, change fluids, lash valves, etc, etc. The more you check and maintain, the fewer problems you have.

IMHO, you should never buy a used race car without an experienced person along. Cracks in the frame are a big issue, for an example, and having someone along who knows where to look can't hurt. And just what looks good and what doesn't look right. Find a friend who knows what's what and get them to come along.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
Maintenance on a dragster is easier than it is on a door car, it's all just right there in the open. But, like any drag car, you need to do a bunch. Tighten everything, check everything else, change fluids, lash valves, etc, etc. The more you check and maintain, the fewer problems you have.

IMHO, you should never buy a used race car without an experienced person along. Cracks in the frame are a big issue, for an example, and having someone along who knows where to look can't hurt. And just what looks good and what doesn't look right. Find a friend who knows what's what and get them to come along.
As usual, I agree with Chris, I also wouldn't by a used car with out a chassis sticker and I would avoid buying one that didn't have a 9" ford rear end 12 bolts and dana 60's are ok but having had an 8-3/4 chrysler they are not as strong also make sure it's confortable (sit in it for more that 30 seconds).
Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill's right, I forgot that. Sit in the car. Strap in. With a helmet on. Make sure you can reach and see everything. Can you shift? Are the pedals in a good spot? And stay there for a while. Like 5 minutes. Are you comfortable? Can you get in and out easily?

There are two styles of dragster seating, one more upright and one more "laid back". I can't stand the laid back style, mostly because I'm big and with a helmet on I can't see things as well. But some people love it. A matter of taste.

Don't rush this part. Looking cool is one thing, winning is more fun and that requires being comfortable.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

look underneath does it have scrape marks, these things can hit the surface a lot! check for cracks! at our track last night a dragster broke in half at the finish line. again look for cracks at all welds and attachment points.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Tweaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this thread is good as I will be soon doing the same looking for a used turn key dragster.

What else is good to look for and check? What was provided so far is great. When looking for turn key what else can be checked with the motor n such to try to insure it doesn't blow up on the first pass and to make sure I'm not buying some guys weak motor/trans in his TK car. Does anyone down here live in FL I could use a mentor for moving to a rail.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tweaker

I would suggest that if you buying it turn key that you request to see it make a pass if the car has good MPH the motor is probably OK but there are no guarantees I have seen brand new stuff break on the dyno before ever leaving the shop!
As far a mentor goes I’m in Illinois and Chris is in Washington State so the only help we can offer you is by phone or internet but if you have any more specific questions, I (and probably Chris) will try to help you.
I would suggest that you stick to the more popular (chevy) stuff as it’s cheaper and more readily available than Ford or Mopar performance stuff. (But if ya gotta have a something different well that your preference, just keep in mind it may cost a little more.)
You also might want to look in the NHRA rule book there are a bunch of SFI standards that the car and your protective equipment need to meet and most have expiration dates.
Some of these include the Chassis, the seat belts the Trans shield, the flex plate shield, the flex plate, Balancer your clothing, your helmet, your gloves the hydro test date on the co2 bottle.
If you going to a driving school ask if it’s possible to get a physical first and get your license passes done at the school.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 388 Times in 82 Posts

Ryan Ondrejko's dragster is for sale turn-key! Ready to GO!
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Baer View Post
As far a mentor goes I’m in Illinois and Chris is in Washington State so the only help we can offer you is by phone or internet but if you have any more specific questions, I (and probably Chris) will try to help you.
All good advice, Bill. And yes, I'm happy to help, as much as someone from the farthest possible point from Florida in the contiguous US can help
Old 07-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
Tweaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys the information is very helpful. I appreciate it. I wish you guys lived close! lol
IHRA #2X41
http://khracing.projectrhyme.com
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote