HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Auto Meter Northern Class Nationals event planning

We have talked about it, kicked the idea around, hemmed, hawed, pondered, and pontificated about reviving the famous US Class Nationals concept for years now... really, ever since the inaugural event was completed. Having promoted a couple of successful big-money bracket races now, I'm distinctly aware of the massive amount of preparation and promotion necessary to make an event a reality -- and among those things is time. It takes time not only to reach all of our potential customers, but also to line up dates, sponsors, advertising, etc. It seems like the final step of taking the plunge and just *doing* it is always a little behind the timeline, and it just never gets done.

What I am proposing is to get the ball rolling now for a 2014 event. Let's hash out and test the concept first.

To complement the significant number of truly great S/SS Combo events and series out there, I believe having an event where Stock and Super Stock run separate, as well as having Class Eliminations, would provide a greater draw.

Northern Doorslammer Nationals -- Event format: My goal is to have a 2-day event, featuring Stock and Super Stock as separate classes -- really need to be able to draw 64 cars per class to be viable.

Friday: Parking & Registration. Potentially a track-run test n' tune.
Saturday: Time Trials and Class Eliminations. Minimum of Iron Tree trophies for each Class winner, and will work on sponsor contingency/awards
Sunday: Main event eliminations, minimum of $5,000/win, with round money starting 3rd round, similar level to a Sportsnationals event.

If y'all are on board, I'm willing to work for YOU, the racer.

Last edited by Michael Beard; 07-31-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: updated thread title
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Class Nationals event planning

Michael

It is a huge undertaking on your part, but knowing you and your accomplishments and what you can bring to the table I believe that you would be able to do it and do it well. There is a extremely short list of people that i feel that could accomplish it and you are on it in my opinion.

Location would be very important, not only from the competitor point of view, but also from yours. Having it centrally located may be the thing to do, but being able to appeal to a larger population of racers in a particular area is another.

I believe that you will have a large percentage of racers who have the desire, but maybe not have the where with all to attend, based on travel, time off, expense and such.

Good Luck and count me in.

RJ
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Bowling Green would be a great central location for a lot of racers. I will help you if I can.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
norm saibene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am game sounds greate i cant waite if you need any help just let us no
norm saibene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 331 Times in 131 Posts

With more than a year to prepare, I can't see why I should miss an event like this. A venue within 18 hours of Toronto would be preferred, but I'm likely to tow as far as it takes.......might even have the car finished by 2014.
Dave Turner #3110
D & E/SA ‘72 Mustang
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
5343stk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tri-State Raceway, Earlville Iowa

Tough to beat a track run by people who participate and support our class.
5343stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
boster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Class Nationals event planning

Michael , dont forget to consider MIR , the car count you need would be easy
Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Sam Murray

Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts

Mike, Norwalk if possible!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quite honestly, already looking at National Trail Raceway. Been studying on doing a No-Box/Footbrake and/or a door-car only Box race there for quite awhile, but I don't think the region is strong enough for any one of them to stand on its own at this time. I've done my homework on cost, availability, weather history, etc.,, already have a comfort level with much of the staff, and we have a lot of "support group" close by in the form of potential sponsor/advertising partners, I will threaten Nitro Joe to be there, etc. Whatever reputation Columbus once had, I think it is quickly turning around with two *very* good events this year between the LODRS and Sportsnationals. With a couple more repeat good experiences in the coming year, I think it can once again be a place to which people can look forward to going.

All that being said, I'd like to concentrate on the format of the event primarily. A given venue does have a particular draw, but I believe that the event and promotion weigh heavily on the scales: There's been some great ideas run at some great tracks that just never worked, for one reason or another. First and foremost, people have to care. There are certainly a number of awesome supertracks out there: Norwalk, MIR, Bristol, etc, but then you have uphill battles with scheduling and rental costs. With location, a race in one person's backyard is necessarily not in someone else's. There are a large number of variables to consider.

I'm leaving in the morning to handle our $20K Footbrake event at Coastal Plains this weekend, so I'll be out of the loop for awhile, but in the meantime, please feel free to throw a bunch of schtuff at the wall and we'll see what sticks.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited by Michael Beard; 11-22-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
bob3240

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks, Michael. I'm voting to have individual class elims at national trail.Win or lose , I like the heads-up racing! Bob Michael.
bob3240 is offline   Reply With Quote