HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #21
Lynn A McCarty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Quickest "Real" Pontiac

When we decided to build a Grand Am the factory shipping weight was 2770. After it was built an unnamed person claimed the factory shipping weight was higher. Melba from GM who was the only person left after the auto crises re-upped the GM racing specification & got it changed back. It was changed again and everyone gave up. Now all the guys who spent money on Grand Ams have to run a higher weight than what GM SPECIFIED. The Big 3 do it all the time with the racing platforms by deleting air cond, etc, etc for cars designed for racing venues. As one can see with the new cars, none of them match the reg passenger car shipping weights. Maybe we will go after it again.

Last edited by Lynn A McCarty; 02-27-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Lynn A McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 AM   #22
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts

don't forget lynns GTCA ran 9.41 at a 141mph. his 60ft was bad on that run, when he puts it all together look out everybody!!!

some cars have pontiac engines in them but if theres a bowtie on the bumper we kinda ignore it... lol! when GM started putting the sbc in the firebirds it mad us all mad. sooooo we just changed them back in GT. We have Don Kennedy the father of GT superstock racing to thank for that! kind of ironic that you have to retrofit a pontiac engine into a pontiac body to run a real pontiac... well thats the way it goes.... its not whats correct, its what is legal racing fans...

i did like the corvette with a tunnelport Bill Foder use to run though, it was wicked fast in IHRA

stace

Last edited by PONTIAC'S REVENGE; 02-27-2014 at 01:09 AM.
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:20 AM   #23
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: Quickest "Real" Pontiac

"Mind the diversion?" Not at all,, in over 60 years I've had more than a couple diversions,, this is just the latest, and one of the most educating.
Thanks to all who have responded, I've enjoyed reading this thread,, please continue if you will. I've got plenty of info to show my buddy who asked the Pontiac question of me.
Ron,, I guess you didn't "get it", but Bob's crack about the Drag-Paks was actually pretty funny.
I'm certainly hoping some of these fast Pontiacs,(and now Buicks too,"real or fake") will make the tow to Columbus in May for the Northern Class Nationals, an event I'm planning on attending. Thanks again everyone.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

Ron,, I guess you didn't "get it", but Bob's crack about the Drag-Paks was actually pretty funny.

Well Danny you are taller than me so I guess it went over my head.

Lynn - Is that another of the famous NHRA "enhancements" so often talked about here on Class Racer???
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #25
Lynn A McCarty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It does seem so confusing that Stacy drove all the way to CA and had to put 110lbs in his car, then get a heads up race 3rd or 4th round. They didnt do fuel check on that run I dont think, so inconsistency is disheartening. He cut a perfect light and still lost. Without the 110 lbs easily won. Of course if he would have done a few things he could have stepped the car up, but he thought everyone was covered. Still it is a great place to race, NHRA mostly does a great job, they try hard...they just arent perfect, but neither are we. They have always listened to things that make sense albeit sometimes things take time. Why they use Google instead of what Melba & former managers said from GM Racing is a bit confusing.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #26
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Can anyone tell me the fastest GTO?
Hope it would be a 69 Ram Air IV

Lynn, I'm glad you and yours run true Pontiacs.
I hope you use the SD distributor I sold you many moons ago in good health.
Chris
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #27
Lynn A McCarty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ok View Post
Can anyone tell me the fastest GTO?
Hope it would be a 69 Ram Air IV

Lynn, I'm glad you and yours run true Pontiacs.
I hope you use the SD distributor I sold you many moons ago in good health.
Chris
It was a sad day when I cracked that 455 Super Duty block. They were so much stronger than the passenger car blocks. We now can run the aftermarket blocks. Many competitors have argued there is no power in such an endeavor, but inquiring minds want to know! ;-) We believe they are full of it. So, this year we are doing to find out!

Last edited by Lynn A McCarty; 02-28-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #28
Lynn A McCarty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Bill Rink is the NHRA "fastest" with his 74 GTO. Bill Eadelis' 70 RAIV GTO is the fastest ET wise. We must also mention John & Keri Angeles' fastest RAIV Firebird and Art Peterson's beautiful 69 GTO.

That RAIV GTO is heavy and runs low 10's! stock block, cast iron heads, actual not bogus intake runner CCs. He only turns the 400: 6500 RPM where we turn the 428: 8700 & the 455: 8300.

Last edited by Lynn A McCarty; 02-28-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Quickest "Real" Pontiac

I remember a few years back, up here at the NW Nationals during a rare ( for us) late evening Saturday Qualifying session when Keri's Firebird launched into a monster wheelstand that had us all going "Holy $#*t!". We were sitting about the 330 mark and the nose was still way up when the car went by us. It was unreal,,,,, deffintely a cool car.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #30
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn A McCarty View Post
Bill Rink is the NHRA "fastest" with his 74 GTO. Bill Eadelis' 70 RAIV GTO is the fastest ET wise. We must also mention John & Keri Angeles' fastest RAIV Firebird and Art Peterson's beautiful 69 GTO.

That RAIV GTO is heavy and runs low 10's! stock block, cast iron heads, actual not bogus intake runner CCs. He only turns the 400: 6500 RPM where we turn the 428: 8700 & the 455: 8300.
Thanks for the updated info Lynn. Since my buddy started this thread it has become a sorce of great info. Good luck on future endeavours with your car (skipping the 8's). I am finding out there MANY really fast Pontiacs out there. It still impresses me that quick numbers are put up by these cars that most people misunderstand. Pontiacs are not small block chevys!!!
I agree that the NHRA is a good place to race. I think it was better when Wally Parks was in charge. He had great people around him and wanted the organization to run smoothly.