Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #101
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Crank Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
the master tech continues to try while failing again, to argue about what he thinks he knows, clearly subjects beyond his experience, over his head and above his pay grade!

My engine builder as well as many other nationally known engine builders install 3/8" 1 piece pushrods in the conventional headed BBC super class and bracket engines making upwards of 1100HP!

NO head rubbing, NO witness marks, NO broken pushrods on my current engine seeing 8000 in the lights every weekend, 36 weekends a season for the past 5 seasons, or my previous engine for 17 seasons! Not 1 broken pushrod in 22 years and over 5000 passes racing conventional headed BBCs with 3/8" pushrods!!!

You know, it's really not nice to slam a person's career. Obviously your making snide remarks about Joe being a master tech. I suppose that's not as "good" as being an engineer.
But your company resume' says your a "General Superintendent" and you "studied" Civil Engineering.
I once studied civil engineering as I was a civil draftsman...but I wasn't an engineer

Last edited by Jeff Lee; 09-07-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Jeff Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #102
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestStocker View Post
Every weekend???? Really???? Oh you are good???? You can post and race all at the same time???? Maybe you should focus more on racing............

Let's see... 5000 passes / 22 years = 227 passes a year
Let's see... 227 passes a year / 36 weekends a year = 6.3 runs a weekend

THATS REALLY IMPRESSIVE!!!!
I detect a little exaggeration too......Let's be real for a minute....I believe he uses a Sunset Engine.....They build good stuff for Super Gas And Super Comp cars. They are build to last forever (tug boat motor). He has a Super Gas car that he chooses to bracket race. He says he runs it 8,000 RPM, (I believe probably closer to 7100 based on his numbers) so I suspect he uses around a 4.56 gear.
You don't need a lot of valve spring for this RPM and I am reasonable sure that his engine is not running a cam lift that is anything close to a competitive Super Stock or Comp car.

So, at 8,000 RPM, Light valve springs and low lift (relatively speaking). - a 3/8 inch 120 trend push rod should last forever.

Let's be clear here....there is a huge difference between big cube "Super" engines and Super Stock and Competition eliminator engines. If he were to were to run his car in Comp, with all those cubes, would be like A/EA index......wait, his carb is too big.....So he would be around an A Altered/automatic......he can't run within 2 1/2 seconds of these guys.

So when he brags about having a "Rocket" and no crank trigger, no evac system, .....and he doesn't break parts, remember that it is all relative. I have the fastest riding lawn mover in my area and I have never broken a part.....(a little tongue in cheek for ya)

Last edited by SStockDart; 09-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.
SStockDart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #103
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,049 Times in 276 Posts

Guys, he thrives on the attention. Let it go.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #104
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan roehrich View Post
guys, he thrives on the attention. Let it go.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #105
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Damn, I tell the truth on here about half the time, and I get no where near the attention!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #106
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
Damn, I tell the truth on here about half the time, and I get no where near the attention!
Randy, you are way to honest to be on here.....lol
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #107
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks guy. But the bad thing is, no one will know which half I'm lying about! Ha!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #108
SuperStock 1890

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe I can talk about my experience with switching from a billet MSD optispark to a crank trigger while on the dyno. This may not be exactly what you are looking for but since you guys are throwing daggers back and forth maybe something about the topic would be helpful.

I was chasing a top end miss and changed all kinds of crap and it was still there. I had a new crank trigger in the box so I decided to see if it would help clear up the miss. I never even unstrapped the car from the dyno. Got everthing together and set the timing where it was in about an hour and was ready for a pull. There were no other changes. Guess what. I still had the miss. Still scratching my head I pulled up the data. From 4500 to 7400 I picked up 10-14 hp on a stocker except at the points of the miss. I rechecked the timing to make sure I did not find out something by accident. Still where it was with the optispark. Still had the miss but got a little more power. Cooled it down and did it over and same result.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #109
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

When I still had my chassis dyno I tested thing like that all the time. You can move the car off the rollers, move it out of the shop. Drive it back in, tie it back down on the rollers, and pick up or lose 5 or so RWHP. Same day also, the built-in weather stations aren't perfect.
I would certainly call that a valid test, and would certainly show up on the track.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #110
SuperStock 1890

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed,
The car did pick up while still missing.I did share with you the cause of my miss. After I got that out the car definitly picked up more. I did not think a crank trigger could do that much but I am not taking it off.