HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
mwudel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1978 Malibu SS SS/GT

First of all let me start off by thanking any and all who reply to this post. I have been bracket racing for several years and am THINKING of jumping in the deep water of SS or SS/GT with a malibu i just bought ( already has a 9" in it with full street trim). Can't seem to find the "clasification Guide" for IHRA or NHRA, could someone tell me were this car would end up as far as class?? And second anyone on here that runs one willing to help a newbe out a little??

Thanks

Mark
mwudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts
Default Re: 1978 Malibu SS SS/GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwudel View Post
First of all let me start off by thanking any and all who reply to this post. I have been bracket racing for several years and am THINKING of jumping in the deep water of SS or SS/GT with a malibu i just bought ( already has a 9" in it with full street trim). Can't seem to find the "clasification Guide" for IHRA or NHRA, could someone tell me were this car would end up as far as class?? And second anyone on here that runs one willing to help a newbe out a little??

Thanks

Mark
Mark,
On the NHRA home page, pass your cursor over the "rules" tab. A drop down menu will appear and the "stock car classification guide" is on that menu. Where it ends up depends on what engine you choose. I know a couple of guys around here used to run the 78-82 Malibu in SS/GTA or SS/GTB, with 67-70 big block engines.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
mwudel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, Alan
Old 11-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #4
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Question Re: 1978 Malibu SS SS/GT

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/class...ion/index.html Mark this will get ya the guide. what engine do ya want to run? small block? big block? car can run anywhere from GT/LA to GT/AA
Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

Mark, you also need to be aware that a SS/GT car these days needs state of the art rear suspension to be really competitive, especially in the upper classes. Super Stock is not as simple as it once was. I'm not trying to discourage you, but rather to encourage you to get it right so you have fun, go fast, and are competitive.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
mwudel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was planning on SB but do have access to some real good BBC parts from a very competive combo.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Question Re: 1978 Malibu SS SS/GT

what small block do you want to run? and how fast/quick do you want to run....as in I have a 350 and would like to run 10's....that way we can find a class/combo that works for you. also do you bracket race? if so what times do you run now......if you can find a combo that's close to what you run now you'll be more comfy in the car
Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
Jeff Goss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What size tire can the car fit? I ran an 81 Malibu with a 250 horsepower 327. It had a 4gc carb and ran it with a 31.25 X 12.2 tire. I probably could have run it with a smaller tire, but with some marginal tracks I chose the larger tire.

If you run a big block, the torque you make with necessitate a 14 X 32 tire.

I built the car with a 9 inch and 4-link. You could run it with a ladder bar, but it isn't as adjustable.

With the stock suspension, you would need an anti-roll bar and adjustable control arms. Then, tire size would dictate the motor you could run.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
6990 SS/MA
Jeff Goss is offline   Reply With Quote