HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
Plyguy63

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default Mopar big block mini starter and small alternator

Max wedge 415 hp 11 to 1 compression. Ideas for mini starter and small alternator. Using DMI lower alt mount with short shaft for small alt. Drag race only.
Plyguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,453 Times in 1,956 Posts
Default Re: Mopar big block mini starter and small alternator

Standard small 318/360 starter from parts store. Just in case you need one at the races. Small alt. from a light plant that has a field wire, E bay. Don't forget the small crank pulley.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
Frank Bialas

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Like Larry said standard is ok, but if you want to spin it a bit faster East Coast is ok. DO NOT us powermaster terrible fit and service issues. East Coast also makes a mini alt.never a problem, works for me!

Last edited by Frank Bialas; 03-03-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Frank Bialas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Dyno

Liked 605 Times in 177 Posts

I have used a Powermaster for 10 years and had no problems. I did send it in 3 years ago for a update and it starts my Hemi great. I am not sure any brand starter fits “great”.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Junk yard Toyota alternator, some older ones are v-grove later are serpentine. Pop off the pully and use the Morroso big pully or small crank one. One wire to switch, other to battery. I mounted mine low on the pass side up next to block. V-6 starter, spun a 15.9 to 1 engine over, fast. Wires are close but can be fixed easily, easy to see. Had $20 in both. If I knew how to post a pic I'd show each.
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
Frank Bialas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
I have used a Powermaster for 10 years and had no problems. I did send it in 3 years ago for a update and it starts my Hemi great. I am not sure any brand starter fits “great”.
Might just be me but had a terrible time just to get it to bolt up.First I changed the position/clock on nose so it would clear rib on hp block,then elongated top hole to move it out and away from ring gear because it kept slamming but not engaging, after a few more modifications got it to work. soon after when it knocked off 2 teeth from a brand new converter I called a company rep. no help just that i should of shimmed it correctly, I said I don't understand what shims? just my experience, supposedly you need to shim it out and away from bell housing/trans. Dyno surprised especially since you hemi guys use different adapters for various transmissions/setups OK! also keep in mind this was years ago I now see that they have changed their design on nose/mount etc.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Bill Grubbs

Liked 458 Times in 61 Posts

Brenda and I have used Powermaster starters and alternators since 1999 time frame, and have had only one problem and it was handled expeditiously. When we built the Superstocker I bought a starter that did not fit the headers that were built around the Stocker's starter (same P/N). When I questioned Powermaster why it did not fit they said there was a minor change in the starter. They sent a UPS pickup ticket and in less than a week the starter was back in my hands and it fit perfectly. No shims, no fuss, no muss. They even asked that when we would like to buy another/new starter give them a call and the starter would be configured with the connection studs placed wherever I wanted them giving me even more clearance.

Very rarely have Brenda and I had better service! It has happened (i.e. John Calvert, John Partridge), but very rarely!!!

Bill
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #8
Frank Bialas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grubbs View Post
Brenda and I have used Powermaster starters and alternators since 1999 time frame, and have had only one problem and it was handled expeditiously. When we built the Superstocker I bought a starter that did not fit the headers that were built around the Stocker's starter (same P/N). When I questioned Powermaster why it did not fit they said there was a minor change in the starter. They sent a UPS pickup ticket and in less than a week the starter was back in my hands and it fit perfectly. No shims, no fuss, no muss. They even asked that when we would like to buy another/new starter give them a call and the starter would be configured with the connection studs placed wherever I wanted them giving me even more clearance.

Very rarely have Brenda and I had better service! It has happened (i.e. John Calvert, John Partridge), but very rarely!!!

Bill
Hi Bill, I won't debate the difference in the experience we had/have with PM just stating my situation which I feel should have been handled differently. I don't know you or the combo you run but if you have a need for a big block mopar starter that I think is iffy send me a pm or an ups pickup ticket, again just saying cost me some grief, aggravation, and money on starter and new ring gear on converter.