HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #311
Stewart Way

Liked 69 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Modified Eliminator Wars in the 70's

Same response on the other forum but as a Div ll tech man I seem to remember them being there and my 71-73 rulebooks show B C D and E altered in Modified and AA/FA AA BB and A in Comp but I can't remember any actual car. In 74 they were moved to Comp. I don't have any rulebooks for 68-70 and that seems to be when the Eliminators were set up. Did notice a pull out form in the middle of my 67 book for a mail in membership to NHRA. $8.
Would be interested in what you find for 73.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #312
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

Found a copy of some of the pages of a 1973 NHRA book MODIFIED ELIMINATOR CLASSES---B-C-D-E altered/ A-J Gas/A&B street roadster/A-H Modified production----will look for any entries maybe find an old listing of records that should do it--FED 387

Last edited by FED 387; 12-20-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #313
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

D/Altered Thames panel wagon.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #314
mopar68
VIP Member

Old 12-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #315
mopar68
VIP Member

Old 01-04-2019, 01:59 AM   #316
mopacltd

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts

Anyone on the west coast having pictures of my '70 a/sm black hemi cuda, please post pictures. Jason Bullet was painted on both sides
mopacltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 AM   #317

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
That's Terry Hoard's "Samurai Warrior" 70 cubic inch rotary-powered C/MC Mazda RX-3 SP. It appeared to be a nice, well-built car, and he did have some notable success with it. I think it ended up in Puerto Rico under adverse conditions. I think there has been at least one "tribute" type car built after it.

Although almost all class racers have a lot of...class, Terry was an unfortunate exception.

Right after NHRA killed Modified Eliminator, I switched from bracket racing my street/strip Nova SS, to bracket racing a street/strip Mazda rotary door car.

There was no internet back then, and Terry was the only guy in town involved in rotary performance. He ran a greasy little auto repair shop in a seedy part of Portland Oregon. Whenever I came to him for rotary performance stuff, he wasted massive amounts of my time preaching his Amway cult to me. He was always talking about "dreaming", and making millions of dollars pressuring friends and neighbors to buy strange soap. He had some employees that were fairly helpful, but Terry was just plain creepy. I found out years later, that the success he had enjoyed with his race car, was mostly the result of other people's work, to include a really nasty dispute over an intake manifold.

Initially, I just needed a header. So he welded me up a piece of junk with unequal-length primaries, on the shop floor, with no jig. Then he sold me a "racing" tune-up, with the promise that it would make my car much faster. It was performed out in the parking lot with used parts from a pile in a stolen shopping cart, and included "converting" the stock Nikki 4-barrel carburetor to manual secondaries by wedging a wood screw into the throttle linkage. That "racing" tune up, on my otherwise stock engine, involved setting up both distributors to fire right on top of each other, with enough advance to ensure the demise of my engine on the very first pass I made afterwards. When I told him what had happened, he was all to eager to try to sell me an engine.

About that time, I became aware of Racing Beat out of Anaheim California, and sent away for their mail-order Mazda rotary performance catalog. It had a significant amount of very helpful technical information in it. I was eventually able to put the car in Pro ET with the assistance of Racing Beat's equal-length header, exhaust megaphone, spark plug wires, underdrive crank pulley, clutch, bridge port templates, 4-barrel Holley intake manifold, and the aforementioned technical information.

Last edited by 6130; 01-04-2019 at 05:50 AM.
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #318
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Modified Eliminator Wars in the 70's

Nice comment about Terry Hoard. What you've said is pretty much the way I remember his domination of Modified Eliminator. If he was racing, he was probably going to win. NHRA tried altering the Modified Compact index and each time they did it, Hoard would just go faster. NHRA could not keep up.

I happened to be at the Fall Nationals, in Seattle, when Wayne County brought out their B/Gas Opel. The Opel weighed about 2000 lbs. and was powered by a pro stock style 302. A real monster driven by a fellow named, Hutchens. Both cars met in the finals. I think the Opel came out west to end Hoard's domination of the class.

Hoard would leave the line at 14,000 RPM, shifting a Nash 5 speed. What seemed like a "half hour later", Hutchens left and barely caught Hoard. Been to a lot of drag races, but to this day, it was the most amazing drag race I ever witnessed.

I did not know Hoard, but knew of him, also heard he was pretty interesting. I knew a few of the people that provide parts for the Mazda. Mazda also provided some interesting rotary technology.

Someone told me he used a 9" Ford with 7:50 gears, a really short drag tire and an under drive 5 speed to get the car moving. Pretty crazy stuff back then.

Lorenr
lorenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #319
killintime6968

Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Smile Re: Modified Eliminator Wars in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar68 View Post
Nice picture of the Checkmate 68 Camaro, This is the one I have.
killintime6968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #320
Ghost Missle

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Butch and the Duster on the cover of the next Mopar Collectors Guide.

Last edited by Ghost Missle; 04-03-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Ghost Missle is offline   Reply With Quote