HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
Darrel Goheen

Liked 70 Times in 31 Posts
Default TH200 transmission question

For those that are using the 200 transmission....how many fiber plates are you running in the forward clutch? I had a broken fiber with no fiber left on it and two other plates burnt in a 5 plate pack. I ordered Alto red clutches to fix it but wasn't aware there were thick and thin plates. Of course I got the thick ones and had to make it a 4 plate pack. Wondering if it's going to last or if I should get the thinner plates and tear it back down? It's in a Stock LT1 car. Thanks.
Darrel Goheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,419 Times in 1,683 Posts
Default Re: TH200 transmission question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Goheen View Post
For those that are using the 200 transmission....how many fiber plates are you running in the forward clutch? I had a broken fiber with no fiber left on it and two other plates burnt in a 5 plate pack. I ordered Alto red clutches to fix it but wasn't aware there were thick and thin plates. Of course I got the thick ones and had to make it a 4 plate pack. Wondering if it's going to last or if I should get the thinner plates and tear it back down? It's in a Stock LT1 car. Thanks.
I hesitate to answer your last question because I would say you have other problems, internally. Five B-W type frictions should be plenty enough. Red Altos may just prolong the next episode, I fear.
How much clearance do you have now? Do you know what it was originally?
Old 08-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #3
Darrel Goheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I hesitate to answer your last question because I would say you have other problems, internally. Five B-W type frictions should be plenty enough. Red Altos may just prolong the next episode, I fear.
How much clearance do you have now? Do you know what it was originally?
I do not know what the clearance was originally. The trans was in the car when I purchased it. It had a thinner backing plate as well that was not re-useable. It measured .183 thick and so far haven't found one close to that thickness. Couple that with thicker frictions I had to remove one of them (4 instead of 5). I have about .040 clearance now. I try to obtain about .008-.010 per friction plate. I don't think the clearance is as critical in the forward clutch since it's always applied when in forward gear. 20 years ago I rebuilt transmissions for a living but not for racing use and probably forgot most of what I knew about them.

Last edited by Darrel Goheen; 08-21-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,419 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Goheen View Post
I do not know what the clearance was originally. The trans was in the car when I purchased it. It had a thinner backing plate as well that was not re-useable. It measured .183 thick and so far haven't found one close to that thickness. Couple that with thicker frictions I had to remove one of them (4 instead of 5). I have about .040 clearance now. I try to obtain about .008-.010 per friction plate. I don't think the clearance is as critical in the forward clutch since it's always applied when in forward gear. 20 years ago I rebuilt transmissions for a living but not for racing use.
Well, you are right, but something is making it slip and wear. Just thinking maybe it was way loose. Or, losing pressure somehow.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Chipper Chapman

Liked 141 Times in 63 Posts

Alto sells a "power pack" for the 200r4/200c, they allow you to get 5 in with a normal plate and 6 with a thin plate. But yes you need to triple check for the cause of failure too.
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Darrel Goheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman View Post
Alto sells a "power pack" for the 200r4/200c, they allow you to get 5 in with a normal plate and 6 with a thin plate. But yes you need to triple check for the cause of failure too.
I actually initially ordered that package but then realized it was for the direct clutch so I cancelled and ordered a master overhaul kit instead not realizing that the clutches were different thicknesses. That direct clutch package seems like it would have all the correct parts if I can't buy the individual plates separately. Thanks.