HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #91
sstk100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Cornhusker Raceway Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpcopo View Post
yellow69:

The original air cleaner for the ZL1 is on my COPO. I bought it from the guy who owns the #22 car now. He would probably pay some good money for the protect o plate for the car if you have it. The original engine to #22 is in the engine restoration room at Speedy Bill's museum, we saw it and shot pics of the VIN on the block. It is polished and it was raced by Larry Eberhard in a 66 Vette who blew it up and sold it to Speedy who had it repaired. Bill won't sell it. The Camaro RD's Shaker was named after Nick Whitaker who they called Rubber Di*k, hence RD. They also called him Slick Nick, Easy Fix, Dick Gozinya. I can't figure it out but its true.
I was friends with Nick Whitaker back them. I'm pretty sure it was a guy named J. Bridgewater that actually bought the Mac Chevy originally in about 1971? (I know some details of the purchase) I'm pretty sure he bought the car when he came back from Vietnam. I went to high school with Bridgewater.

It looks like "Bridgewater" and "Whitaker" on the side of the car , as shown in the previous picture of the"RD Shaker" Mac Camero. I don't know how or why they might have became partners in the Camero. I used to run around and party with them in the 60's and about when Raceway Park was opened....then it later closed after the drivers strike

Bridgewater was partners with another guy, in a 55 Chevy before the Camero., and I think (not sure) it was before he went to the Vietnam, and raced for a short time at Omaha Dragway.

I know Whitaker had an L-88 big block in a 1964 or 65 Chevelle a few years prior to the Camero. I drove the Chevelle a few times at the old Omaha Dragway.

I had raced an NHRA stock class 56 Chevy at Omaha Dragway about the same time, but got married, had kids, and got out of racing to work, and go to college...and the rest is history as they say.

I remember when Whitaker had bought a new 1967 Chevy II with a 327 - 350 HP, 4 speed....silver with black interior. Very cool ...and fast ! I loved that car. It would be a collector's car now.

I have a few funny stories about Whitaker (not racing related).... some not appropriate for this forum, but has a little bit to do with some of his nick names.
I had a 29 Ford coupe that was stored in Whitaker's garage for a while, but his wife said it had to go, and it was sold.

Last I knew Whitaker was a mechanic for the Omaha Police Dept, but that was in the 1970s and I have no idea where he or Bridgewater are now.

Those were the good old fun times.

Last edited by sstk100; 02-19-2013 at 09:21 AM.
sstk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #92
cruiznlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here is a photo of the Macs Chevrolet in thr pits at Thunder Valley Raceway SD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cornhusker19.jpg
Views:	1797
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	16279  
cruiznlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #93
cruiznlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is another photo of the 55 from page one, not sure where the photo was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cornhusker24.jpg
Views:	1793
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	16470  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #94
cruiznlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiznlow View Post
Here is another photo of the 55 from page one, not sure where the photo was taken.
After checking all the photos it does appear that this was taken at Cornhusker raceway, the buildings in the backgorund match other photos on this site.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #95
aspen5816

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is Cornhusker, 144th Street in the background. Saw my first race there in 1970, was there for the final race, the WWCS race in Sept 73
aspen5816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #96
cruiznlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen5816 View Post
That is Cornhusker, 144th Street in the background. Saw my first race there in 1970, was there for the final race, the WWCS race in Sept 73
found the photo on a facebook site, think it was called powerglide magazine. I also saw a photo of a blue and white opel on there, got to try and refind it as it also raced at cornhusker.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #97
cruiznlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

need help with this, found this trophy on ebay, it was listed as an original trophy that cornhusker gave out to class winners. it has already sold so I am not able to inquire about it
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #98
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiznlow View Post

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #99
joe cool

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Mike Daly's car was remade a couple of years ago, I don't think it was the original car, but I could be wrong, it seems I saw it on the H.A.M.B forum but I don't go there anymore so I can't reference it.
Nice pics from everyone, a nice way to remember the old carefree days.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #100
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

It was a tribute car:

Last edited by cad; 03-03-2013 at 12:48 PM.
cad is offline   Reply With Quote