HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #51
yellow69z28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Cornhusker Raceway Park

Al, thanks for the comment on our You Tube site! I am just getting back into the swing with our restoratiion project.

The 1969 Mac's Chevrolet NRHA Divsion 5 Super Stock Camaro

Cornhusker 1969 Charlie Jacobs - Driver

Cornhusker 1973 Jim Hayes - Driver

In my paperwork collection I have a few original programs from Cornhusker from 1969 1970 and 1973. I believe I also have a few time slips.

I started my research in 2002. ( see the links below to a few forums including my recent You Tube page)

Yenko.net
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...topics/23662/1

Team Camaro
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198363

The aluminum Zl1 engine that was used to match race (gamblers?) in 1969 - 1970 by Al McNamara and Charlie Jacobs is in the engine section of the museum at Speedway Motors' Museum of American Speed in Lincoln Nebraska.

http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/default.dlp

My You Tube page:

I would like to thank Al Howe for bringing this great site to my attention!

Last edited by yellow69z28; 05-14-2012 at 09:40 PM.
yellow69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #52
jeffsracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yellow69Z28 Quote: [The aluminum Zl1 engine that was used to match race (gamblers?) in 1969 - 1970 by Al McNamara and Charlie Jacobs is in the engine section of the museum at Speedway Motors' Museum of American Speed in Lincoln Nebraska.]

Yellow69Z28, thanks for the pics and posting the progress on the Mac Chevrolet Car. My brotherinlaws brother raced ZL-1 #22 car that the above mentioned aluminum engine originally was born in. He raced it with a 396/375 HP L89 engine.

jeffsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #53
yellow69z28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsracing View Post
Yellow69Z28 Quote: [The aluminum Zl1 engine that was used to match race (gamblers?) in 1969 - 1970 by Al McNamara and Charlie Jacobs is in the engine section of the museum at Speedway Motors' Museum of American Speed in Lincoln Nebraska.]

Yellow69Z28, thanks for the pics and posting the progress on the Mac Chevrolet Car. My brotherinlaws brother raced ZL-1 #22 car that the above mentioned aluminum engine originally was born in. He raced it with a 396/375 HP L89 engine.

Jeff, I did hear that from Al McNamara when we were talking shop about this car a few years ago. What Al told me was that the ZL-1 engine was also raced in a 1969 corvette before it blew up and AL had it polished and placed in his Chevy showroom.

Do you know what VIN was on that 396? Was it from a Camaro or from that Corvette?

I was also told that they had a hard time selling #22 as a ZL-1 and swapped in a 396. But where did that 396 come from?

I also may have the original cowl air cleaner for #22, muncie and POP book that Al gave me in 2004. I will have to lookup your VIN number on the list.

I also may have a Photo of that car on Al's lot from 1969.
yellow69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #54
jeffsracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote: Do you know what VIN was on that 396? Was it from a Camaro or from that Corvette?

The 396 was from another 1969 camaro.

Al had quite the performance dealership back in the day in a little town called Crete Nebraska. Lots of performance cars. Thats pretty neat you were able to visit with him and get some history on your car.

Last edited by jeffsracing; 05-16-2012 at 12:56 AM.
jeffsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #55
cruiznlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69z28 View Post
Al, thanks for the comment on our You Tube site! I am just getting back into the swing with our restoratiion project.

The 1969 Mac's Chevrolet NRHA Divsion 5 Super Stock Camaro

Cornhusker 1969 Charlie Jacobs - Driver

Cornhusker 1973 Jim Hayes - Driver

In my paperwork collection I have a few original programs from Cornhusker from 1969 1970 and 1973. I believe I also have a few time slips.

I started my research in 2002. ( see the links below to a few forums including my recent You Tube page)

Yenko.net
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...topics/23662/1

Team Camaro
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198363

The aluminum Zl1 engine that was used to match race (gamblers?) in 1969 - 1970 by Al McNamara and Charlie Jacobs is in the engine section of the museum at Speedway Motors' Museum of American Speed in Lincoln Nebraska.

http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/default.dlp

My You Tube page:

I would like to thank Al Howe for bringing this great site to my attention!
No Problem, I never got to see the track, moved here from PA in 1981 thanks to the Air Force, have been here ever since. Would love to see the car restored and maybe make a few. passes down the track at Mid America Motorplex. In August they have the old geezers weekend car show & drag race, you should enter the car as is in the show and bring all your paperwork with you, There is a large group of people that used to race at cornhusker, I'AM sure allot of them will remember the car
cruiznlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #56
cruiznlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsracing View Post
Some more pics courtesy of Kim Schlegelmilch. Kim's Dad raced a 57 chevy at Cornhusker.

John Hagen

There is a 57 chevy that still races at mid America motorplex, looks allot like this 57
Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #57
cruiznlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the hood scoop is different but everything looks the same

Last edited by cruiznlow; 06-03-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #58
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Jeanie & I raced our '56 there once (thus the pic), don't remember what year?
We had gas rationing then, could only buy like ten gallons at a time?
Interesting trip in a one ton car hauler. LOL
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #59
fpcopo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yellow69:

The original air cleaner for the ZL1 is on my COPO. I bought it from the guy who owns the #22 car now. He would probably pay some good money for the protect o plate for the car if you have it. The original engine to #22 is in the engine restoration room at Speedy Bill's museum, we saw it and shot pics of the VIN on the block. It is polished and it was raced by Larry Eberhard in a 66 Vette who blew it up and sold it to Speedy who had it repaired. Bill won't sell it. The Camaro RD's Shaker was named after Nick Whitaker who they called Rubber Di*k, hence RD. They also called him Slick Nick, Easy Fix, Dick Gozinya. I can't figure it out but its true.
fpcopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #60
joe cool

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiznlow View Post
There is a 57 chevy that still races at mid America motorplex, looks allot like this 57
I'm not sure which 57 your talking about at Rolling Thunder but this car is out there a lot. It hung around Glenwood Iowa for several years and several owners back in the late 80's early 90's.I bought it in the fall of 92 and replaced the one piece glass front,(it was delaminating and busted up bad) with parts from a four door. Some trim pieces and the dash were salvaged,a 427 ,turbo 400 was installed and dana 60 and tubbed for 14x32. I raced it two years and sold it to Jeff Haggland who still races it today. I painted it and added the "JOE COOl" snoopy lettering . Jeff has improved the car and it definately runs better then when I had it.
I remember the paint was cracked real bad ,I assume it was Laquer and when we stripped it it was thick. It even had the original red and white under it. Thanks for posting it!
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote