HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Ray Menard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question CO2 Bottle Pressures

For my air shifter, I've been getting the bottles filled by my local "paintball dealer" (usually around 800 psi). When the pressure gets down to around 600 psi, I get it re-charged. It's very cheap to fill (<$3.00) but my concern is the time (my dealer is 15+ miles away). Also, what if the pressure gets below 600 psi during an event?

My question is...how low can I go (min. psi) without affecting the quality of the shifts?

Thanks for your help,
Ray Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
SlickVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: CO2 Bottle Pressures

Most regulators lower the pressure to about 100 psi i believe so as long as you don't go below that you should be ok.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Are you using a 10 oz bottle??? If so it should be between 1200-1500 pounds pressure when full---Weigh it totally empty and again after you fill it to make sure that you have a full tank. Note the weight difference between a full and empty tank--The shifter will operate OK between 50-110 pounds pressure----Temperature also has a lot to do with how much pressure you actually have in the tank---if it shows 1200 and it is 80* outside when the temp drops to about 60* you might only end up with 800-900 pounds----Try using nitrogen it is less susceptible to temeprature change but it costs more to fill it too---After you fill the tank and reinstall your regulator ALWAYS put in a new gasket-The plastic ones will work OK but they really are too hard to seat well--Ask the guy who fills it to give you a handfull of them--whenever you turn on the air bottle always turn it fully on helps cut down on leaks and if you are driving down the return road turn it off no need to keep pressure in it if you are not using it less chance of leakage too----You should be able to get a few weekends out of a 10 oz tank but you really need to have a spare "just in case"----Some of my observations from my experience at the track---Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Ray Menard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: CO2 Bottle Pressures

Thanks Guy,

Thats exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Ray-2 things first if you do use Nitrogen either DO NOT go crazy on filling the bottle or look for a heavier walled bottle--Nitrogen uses a much higher pressure than CO2---Second I have a couple of extra NEW DOT-1800 10 oz bottles if you would like to buy one $50 + UPS Maybe an extra regulator NEW too-$130 bottle & reg-- let me know--
Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Ray Menard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: CO2 Bottle Pressures

Thanks FED,

I do have 2 bottles with regulators that I mount side by side in the car. Switching to the 2nd bottle can be done in the staging lanes.

Thanks for the offer.