HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
BigEdsGarage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mopar A Body springs

Just wondering what brand leaf springs some of you racers are running? I am running a bracket class 340 Duster, 3400lb 11.90 car and need to replace my old SS springs. Curious as to what else is out there to help the car 60' better. I suppose CalTracs are an option but was looking for just a spring right now. Also, does anyone run a rear slider box instead of using a shackle?

Thanks,
Ed

BigEdsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
George Mirza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed,
For the money you can't beat the SS springs. The 3000lb set should work good on your car. I run them on my Duster @ 3330 and they work great. Cal Tracs are better when they are set up right and Launchers work great if you can get a set that is the right weight for your car, which can be tricky. The only drawback to the SS springs is they wear out. Figure 300- 400 runs if you take care of them. Once the right rear starts to squat on the launch its time to replace them.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
BigEdsGarage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply George. I guess I will replace them with a new set of SS springs for the vehicle weight. CalTracs might be a future upgrade for me.

Any advice on clamping the front portion of the springs? Some say to do it, some say to leave them alone. I'm sure it is easy enough to mess with while at the track. I am currently running a snubber set 1/2" from the floor while the suspension is supporting the vehicle weight. I have been told that I have too much body rise and need to control it to improve the 60' times. Viewing pics I see at least an 8"-10" distance from the tire to the wheel opening at launch, 1" while at rest. I run Koni 90/10s with 6 cyl torsion bars in front and 50/50 Konis in the rear. Just curious if clamping the spring would help?

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
will prater

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

You may just want to replace the rear shocks with an adjustable one like the rancho and experiment with tighter settings to limit the body rise a little and see what the car likes. With my SS springs the car seemed to like 4 -5 inches optimum. When I went to the cal trac's with the split mono spring the car liked about 1" of rise for the best 60'.

I don't know if you remember me but you supplied me with several options on the paint scheme for my '68 dart. We haven't changed the paint yet but it is on the schedule for this summer. Thanks again.

wprater
will prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
George Mirza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed,
Will is right on with the Rancho's. I think you can only buy the 9 way adjustables now. You don't need the pinion snubber, it shouldn't hit the floor if the springs are good. One other thing to try is clamping the back of the main and second spring together, this should take some lift out. You may have more pinion angle than you need also.
But keep in mind, if you are bracket racing on marginal tracks you may need all the lift you can get.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #6
DustyLowell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have CalTrac's and the Mono-Leafs, 1.41 60ft times at 3200lbs. We noticed a huge difference over Luniac Super Stock Springs. 10.83 F/SA Duster.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
BigEdsGarage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Will, I remember, it was a silver-blue car right? Any other renderings needed just let me know, I'd be happy to help.

I am putting in a new custom built 8" converter soon and want to see how the car responds to that first. Then I will start messing with the suspension. My old SS springs are sagging and I really want to dial this thing in this year.

I will probably change springs and try a new brand shock. It would probably be best to see what they do and then try clamping the springs.
I have to wonder how much the excessive rise is taking away from the 60' times. I just hate changing too many things at once.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
BigEdsGarage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Will, I remember, it was a silver-blue car right? Any other renderings needed just let me know, I'd be happy to help.

I am putting in a new custom built 8" converter soon and want to see how the car responds to that first. Then I will start messing with the suspension. My old SS springs are sagging and I really want to dial this thing in this year.

I will probably change springs and try a new brand shock. It would probably be best to see what they do and then try clamping the springs.
I have to wonder how much the excessive rise is taking away from the 60' times. I just hate changing too many things at once.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Ed, email me. I probably got some springs (tri city and mopar ss). I also got a mono from Cal Trac. jefft@southlanddodge.com