HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
RandyB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Lt 1 ??

On average how many runs can you get out of a LT 1 Stocker motor before you should freshen it up. That?s if you don't hurt any thing.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
dean ribeiro

Liked 214 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: Lt 1 ??

depends on how fast you are looking to go? typically if you are not concerned with slowing up a little, 110-130 runs is a reasonable expectation before you should freshen things. I would keep a regular check on valve lash, oil condition etc..

Daen
dean ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

check with the Emmons boys i think they run thiers ba couple of years ,before they look at them 250 300.runs. J Hanig
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

[QUOTE=Jim Hanig;37538]check with the Emmons boys i think they run A couple of years ,before they look at them 250 300.runs. J Hanig
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
BobUnkefer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 98 Firebird I drove in D/FIA (@ 3875 lbs) for the Emmons the last 3 years had 306 laps on it when Jim freshened it earlier this year and would still go a second under in good air. Constant preventive maintenance and frequent changes of the Lucas oil and a fresh K & N filter certainly helped.
Jim Hanigs report on the engine after he went through it was that one rod bearing showed a very minor nick right at the edge. Other than that it was still looking good inside.

Unk
BobUnkefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

My LT-1 engine has basically the same ring package many bracket engines would have. It has a roller cam so there is no worries about lifter or cam wear. Other than possibly installing some new valve springs and checking over the rockers and pivots there is no reason an engine can't run as many laps as Bob and Jim say. I have built bracket engines that went 300- 400 runs and still looked fine inside and they had flat tappet cams, more compression and saw the same rpm levels.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Cam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rich:
How about valve springs on the same engine? Without over revving in the water box, how many passes are they generally good for? Who makes a good tool for checking seat pressure at the track?
Thanks,
Cam
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are a couple nice valve spring testers in this thread:
http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=6364
Old 08-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Rich:
How about valve springs on the same engine? Without over revving in the water box, how many passes are they generally good for? Who makes a good tool for checking seat pressure at the track?
Thanks,
Cam
I have very little experience with stock diameter springs on hyd.roller cams. I only mention springs as it is one area that might need attention. My own LT-1 has about 60 runs on it and I have occasioanlly gotten the rpm a little higher than I would like in the water. My experience with the Moroso type spring testers is that you need to have checked a new one for a reference as the numbers you get will be lower than actual pressure seen on a bench tester like a Rimac. I am doing a little checkup now on my engine.....leakdown testing and some valvetrain checks. Mostly just looking to see how things are after a number of runs. Changing valve springs is a very easy task and one we pretty much had to do very regularly in the "old days". I am new to modern day "stock eliminator" and the parts and reliability of them is also new to me. I have Bullet springs on my LT-1 and have some other stuff on the shelf........Comp cams and another brand as well. Springs are cheap and I like fresh stuff...we have some races coming up soon around here and the air will be cooler and I have more gear in the car so I like to know it's good to go....
Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 PM   #10
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I run my stuff 150 runs or so and then feel the need for some kind of plecebic repair to soften my guilt. I have always thought that my cars were more consistent with fresh engines but it probably had more to do with the density altitude in the Spring that anything else. I know some LT1 racers run 300 + without trouble and still run in the top half. Good maintenence and an air cleaner (a K&N of course) are probably key here.
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote