HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
drag55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

1999 Supercharged Grand Prix GTP. Thoughts on running this in stock. It should fit AF/S. Thanks for any input. Ron
drag55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Ron,

We tried for years when Len Imbragno was the Sportsman Rep., to get the GTP's into the Classification Guide. By the time he actually did, four years later, we had sold the cars.

Rick and I thought they'd be neat Stockers, since our dead stock 2001 with 80 lbs. of luggage in the trunk, a half tank of unleaded regular (89 octane), and no prep what-so-ever ran a 14.90 at 94 mph at an 1100 ft. actual elevation track.

At the time we were having some discussions on the Grand Prix site with a bunch of "Experts", and we told them that they'd all go faster with more converter, more camshaft, and newer style electronics, all using the stock pulley. The new electronics should help even more. Rick got into some pretty good arguments about the benefits of those changes until one of the hop-up firms finally did exactly what we said and made astronomical gains for the time. I think they actually brought out a whole bunch of new parts to take full advantage of "Stocker-like" technology. We had sold ours by then, so we lost interest.

I do however have a good older style Posi-unit that was used for testing, and then rebuilt by Intense, and we never ran it. $225 takes it. John at Bullet was willing to grind a cam at the time.

The normal Stocker stuff helps the heads based on what I remember from the flowbench work at the time. Of course the FWD things tend to be inconsistent off the line, but the neat thing about a Stocker version of the GTP is that you could throw an exhaust on it and use it as a street car if you wanted to have a sleeper.

We still have our 2001 and have always liked those cars. Good luck with yours in whatever you do with it.

Jerry
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
drag55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Thanks for the input. If i go through with the project i will contact to buy the posi unit. Thanks again for your input. Ron
drag55 is offline   Reply With Quote