HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
ItsyBitsySpider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default OEM computer confusion

I'm new at this so be kind. I can't figure this out, the rule book has me confused, it says:

9A STOCK: support group-
Original OEM computer may be replaced with aftermarket computer.
Data recorders permitted.
Other than OEM or OEM-replacement computers prohibited.

WHAT? Can I replace my OEM computer or not? I'd like to get an all in one system like F.A.S.T. or whatever's legal?

B/FS Dodge 4 cyl turbo, fuel injected. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: OEM computer confusion

Yes you can. Take a look at the ViPec unit. It does everything you need and more.
Plus it's a lot cheaper.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I dont know whats "good" for your combo, but it needs to be "Approved" from what I understand the online list is out of Date.....the last time I looked it didnt have the big Stuff 3 or another system we were considering, even though both were approved, I knew the BS3 should been on the list, but the other one was questionable. BUT it had recently been added so we were good. I called Bruce Bachelder at the NHRA and he checked and sent I think (ill look) an updated list....if I can find it Ill pm it over.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsyBitsySpider View Post
I'm new at this so be kind. I can't figure this out, the rule book has me confused, it says:

9A STOCK: support group-
Original OEM computer may be replaced with aftermarket computer.
Data recorders permitted.
Other than OEM or OEM-replacement computers prohibited.

WHAT? Can I replace my OEM computer or not? I'd like to get an all in one system like F.A.S.T. or whatever's legal?

B/FS Dodge 4 cyl turbo, fuel injected. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Marty Buth

Liked 149 Times in 34 Posts

Go to NHRA.com and click on the competition link. Under that link, click on the NHRA approved products. When that link comes up, you will find all of the accepted aftermarket computers. It is well down the list, but it is there. I got the computer I use approved. The approval went real smooth. I think FAST is on the list.
Good luck!

Marty
Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You have a PM
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
magnumv8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get a verification on the system configuration....the new "approved" list of aftermarket ECU's does NOT give you this info for YOUR combination....as an example I did the research and decided on a system and was assured it was a legal system after spending a great deal of cash to get it I found out that it wouldn't run with a single coil ignition system...the manufacturer had a letter from NHRA stating it was approved but, NHRA had a rule (unwritten at the time and may still be) that you could not run more coils on an engine than was OEM....I was told by the head of tech at the time (a couple years ago) that you could run fewer coils but not more than what originally came on the engine, NHRA would NOT let me use it....I lost my butt on this deal because of the loss I took and I still had to buy another system that would run my combo and still be under the "approved" rules....the aftermarket ECU listing for approved systems has a large number of manufacturers on it now compared to what there was even a couple years ago

Definitely "get it in writing" because I had to wait til the tech department checked with the field techs to see how they were enforcing these issues because there still seems to be some things that each division and track techs as they see fit, a letter or fax with the "stamp of approval" on it can save your butt....this also applies to more than aftermarket ECU's

If your engine was OEM with one (1) coil that is all you can run and make sure that the system you choose will support it(FAST is no problem, Electromotive TEC3r used to require their own ignition and did not support a single coil ignition unless they have upgraded it, as an example)....

D L RAMBO
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
ItsyBitsySpider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thank you guys, keep the advice coming. This has all been very helpful and I really appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm....sounds like the left dosent know what the right hand is doing sometimes at the NHRA, I talked to Bruce Bachelder about just that issue (number of coils) and was told, as I had already seen I must run the OEM number of Coils, (its in the Rulebook)

Jake out at Glendora and I are supposed to talk but I havent had a chance to as some "coils" are really multiple coils in the same package (ford edis) for example.....so If I have a COP system that has 8 coils can I run 8 edis packs ? (I want a seperate coil for both plugs , 16 total) OR how does it count.

Bruce told me the rule was put in the rulebook originally because when the COP systems came out people dumped em for a single coil....

Obviously the opposite of what you were told.

Apparently Jake (?) is the NHRA electronics expert at Glendora....so may be worth a call to him ? Other techs defer to him on these items from what I understand.

The FAST system uses a piggyback COP system, ok, but I WAS looking forward to the new DFI system (supposedly all that and the cats pajamas) but it wasnt ready so we went with another "Top Secret" but approved system and I had custom code written for the Firmware at my own expense to handle the Hemi crank and cps sensors......but I gurantee Ill be the only one running the system

To me a single coil system seems like a drawback and waste of some great dwell potential, especially if you ditch "wasted spark" on the newer stuff.....

If you want the SICKEST , and I mean SICKEST coils out there for a COP system with built in igniters, forget the aftermaret stuff, the "Yukon" GM coils are cheap on Ebay and sink about 120k out.......

They have a external heat sink on em........(Ive got about 10 or so new ones and plug connectors from another project if you need em, Ill let em go for what I paid, I think $250 for the coils and 8 pigtails) an "igniter" means the coil is hot all the time and you throw it 5v(?) to trigger it....nice setup....

Cant run em on the hemi because I would need 16 of them....not legal

So Im having some custom coils done for it ..... yuck.....but its what I have to do....so.......unless I can find something over 80kv on the import side the hottest Ive seen are around 40.....BAH !

If youre a DIY type that is.....here is a video, Ive done this same test, these things scare you......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5754251&hl=en#

Cheers

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumv8 View Post
Get a verification on the system configuration....the new "approved" list of aftermarket ECU's does NOT give you this info for YOUR combination....as an example I did the research and decided on a system and was assured it was a legal system after spending a great deal of cash to get it I found out that it wouldn't run with a single coil ignition system...the manufacturer had a letter from NHRA stating it was approved but, NHRA had a rule (unwritten at the time and may still be) that you could not run more coils on an engine than was OEM....I was told by the head of tech at the time (a couple years ago) that you could run fewer coils but not more than what originally came on the engine, NHRA would NOT let me use it....I lost my butt on this deal because of the loss I took and I still had to buy another system that would run my combo and still be under the "approved" rules....the aftermarket ECU listing for approved systems has a large number of manufacturers on it now compared to what there was even a couple years ago

Definitely "get it in writing" because I had to wait til the tech department checked with the field techs to see how they were enforcing these issues because there still seems to be some things that each division and track techs as they see fit, a letter or fax with the "stamp of approval" on it can save your butt....this also applies to more than aftermarket ECU's

If your engine was OEM with one (1) coil that is all you can run and make sure that the system you choose will support it(FAST is no problem, Electromotive TEC3r used to require their own ignition and did not support a single coil ignition unless they have upgraded it, as an example)....

D L RAMBO
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote