HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Stocker Head confusion

I am thinking it would require an usual style reamer.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unusual ? I dont know about that its a collet that holds a bit and a set screw from the top changes the angle of the bit , the bit looks like a small lathe tool, its hinged with a pin in the center of the tool you insert it, run the set screw in a bit which swings the tool (the cutting tool) out from the axis of the holder (collar), take some off, move the set screw in some more, take more off...etc. Good for "gutting" guides though.....

Half my tools Ill be honest I have no idea what they are called or what their original purpose was, this one I would say Guns, from the diamater and the source, my Grandfather, a watchmaker by trade, but clock and guns for a hobby, he also made a lot of his own tooling, but these are a set.

These were always in the upstairs of the barn which was all clocks and guns, when I lived with him it was My "Haunt" but...I dont see what use it is on a clock and Im familiar with most watch and clockmaking tools so my guess is gunsmithing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
I am thinking it would require an usual style reamer.
Hmmm...now that I think about it they do look like (but arent) a rifling bit like I used for hand rifling of muzzleloader barrels, those only have a bit protrusion from one side so they would be more apt to "walk" to the far side of the guide possibly galling it, but it would work if you were careful. Look on hand rifling tools for muzzleloaders maybe.....you can set the cut and instead just move it up and down instead of trying to rifle, the guide (then again that might work too lol)

Last edited by Chris "drooze" Wertman; 01-20-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
RULER

Liked 57 Times in 17 Posts
Exclamation Re: Stocker Head confusion

Lets see BBC close chamber heads trick valves, springs retainer check CC'S and correct then machine work and flow bench testing it's very easy to get 3k to 4k in a set and all this is LEGAL so to anyone that thinks they are getting ported heads for this money you are way off base and that's why people that think this way are where there at NOW!!!!!!!
RULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
mtkawboy

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

30 years ago my buddy and I bought a set of Racing Head Service 68 Z/28 Camaro heads for $695 exchange & thought we'd payed a ton for them. I took a look at the ports that were bead blasted to within an inch of their life & thought theres no way these things will pass tech but they did. My how times have changed. I guess that means we will never find another 68 Z/28 with numbers matching block & the rest of the motor in the trunk less intake & carb for $500 either. Oh yeah, had a teak steering wheel too !
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
283nova

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

whats the normal price for a pair of powerpack 283 heads for superstock (or stock) now?
283nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

283 The last set i had done cost 2600.00 welding and port work, cc and cut stud boss down 250.00 Valves, springs, ret ,locks.850.00 total 3700. plus the castings. J Hanig
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
K Stubbs

Liked 20 Times in 3 Posts
Unhappy Re: Stocker Head confusion

The expense doesnt stop with the heads, my LS1 stocker engine cost me $14,000 to build not including any dyno time.
K Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #18
Doug Blackley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

And no matter how much money you put in the motor you still need to put the time. money and effort into making the rest of the car right.