HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Towing with a Class C Motorhome...

I am looking for some feedback from racers using the shorter Class C motorhomes and towing an enclosed trailer.

I have seen lots of them in the pits and am looking to buy one and am reading lots of conflicting info about using them...

I have a 26 foot trailer and a dragster so the weight is not as high as many out there running door cars and fairly heavy Stockers.

I know about the rear frame being weak on many Class C's....and expect to have to reinforce it back there right out to the hitch..

I am looking at very short Class C's.....with well under 8' overhanging the rear axle.

Any good info would be appreciated.....Thanks...
Old 10-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 517 Posts
Default Re: Towing with a Class C Motorhome...

Sounds like you have done your homework. I loved mine, it was a 2005 class c ford E450 chassis only 24' the overhang was very short compared to most. I did tow a 30' triple axel trailer with everything thrown in. very heavy, so I bought and used a trailer toad. I don't think you would need one with not much weight. also it was the V-10 lots of power but drank gas like crazy, 6mpg anyway you would try, still 6mph. personally i like the 454 chevy better, i get 8-10 now with the class A.
The decision of any motorhome over a pickup will be more than justified when you have to sit in a rain delay or days long events. can't beat the security of being that close to your racing property overnight either. other benefits, shower, refrigerator, tv, bed. on and on...
winterizing them is fairly easy.
nice to have a built in generator.
Also a great escape when the wife gets cranky lol.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Thanks Keith. I had a Lance pickup camper for 10 years. Worked great and with a Duramax pickup was an easy ride anywhere. I limited my racing in the past but have hit more races and for more days and hope to keep doing them. The camper had everything but space and was just to cramped to be comfortable....Sold it.....not rushing into anything but I do not have room for anything but a small class C....

My Duramax gets 10-11 towing with the camper and trailer.
My former pickup was a 454 and got about 10 with the same camper and trailer

Gas is cheaper than diesel by about 50 cents or more and it used to be the opposite.
As soon as I bought a diesel.....those 2 fuels flip flopped on price difference....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 10-27-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I agree about the price of diesel, I about peed my pants this past weekend leaving VMP when I saw it $3.27 but I like the durability of a diesel especially when towing. I know you pay more but I think in the long run you are better off. As far as the Class C I have seen quite a few especially lately and have noticed alot of them using trailer toads but you may not need one only pulling a dragster. I will say stay away from the Ford 460, I had one in a Class A and it eat me up in gas was told by many afterwards I should've been looking for a V10 when I was thinking the opposite. Good luck on your search.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Rich
I have a small (28') class A motor home work horse chassis with a 496 vortec and Allison trans it gets between 9-10 mpg (a little less if I run 75 or faster! )pulling a 30' tag with a dragster and golf cart etc in it (~7000#)
I too was concerned about the overhang behind the rear axel so I purchased a trailer toad from Jok Nickolson and it tows great as it takes most of the weight off of the RV. The only down is side since the axel pivots you have to get out and lock it to back up.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 11-13-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
theman440

Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

I just got done reinforcing my Minnie Winnie, it has a 10ft overhang (from rear axle center to reciever) I'm currently towing with an open trailer but I'm confident it could handle 7-10k pounds total weight now (with weight distributing hitch) Im going to put air bags on it too. You also have to think about the side forces while turning - all that weight is trying to bend the *** end of the camper. I have adressed that issue also - if interested PM me and I'll get you a sketch and material list of what I did.

Jeff
'66 Coronet #10771 - bracket puke
"the Flying Brick"
theman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

I sent you a PM Jeff......
Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

I would look at it a little differently, 1st look at the wheelbase and overhang. You would be surprised different wheelbases available in same length motorhome. Then If it is something you are going to have long term, purchase or build your own trailer toad. I had a nice class A 32ft long wheelbase with about a 6 foot overhang that had factory frame to the hitch(not added onto). We welded 1/4 steel plate to box the C Channels, added gussets, and diagonals. Towing 28 ft dragster trailer to all Division 1 races and Charlotte a couple times from Phila area started to notice slight movement (1/4 inch ) in rear portion. If I was to do it again, would definitely do a trailer toad. Spoke with a couple of racers that had Toads and they said much better stability on highway. Take a close look at the toad and there is very little tongue weight load.
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

I am doing some frame and hitch work this weekend. Add some metal where I can to try and make it as good as it can be. My overhang is longer than I would like but longer wheelbase Class C's have the same amount of overhang since they are also longer out to the hitch.
A toad is out of the question for me I think. No way I could park it in the space I have to work with backing up with one. I have a friend who built his own and has a Class C. I will have to ask him about his and how he is able to park it at his home.

I am doing all I can to make it work for now without the toad as others I spoke to have had success with one.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
Gary Merrick

Liked 196 Times in 27 Posts

Rich,

I used to have a Class C with a 24' trailer and a trailer toad. I had the same problem as you as far as not having enough room to maneuver into the driveway with everything attached. Since the toads do not like backing up on pavement (the tires on the toad scuff really hard when the axle is in the locked position for backing), I decided to make a single wheel dolly set-up that would attach temporarily on the front of the toad.

When I would get home, I would drop the trailer in the street. So then I would remove the toad from the motorhome, put the dolly wheel on and attach a handle to the front of the toad, put the toad in the garage with ease, move the motorhome to where it needed to be and then hook my pick-up to the trailer and put it where it belonged. It was a lot of extra work, but I always felt it was worth the effort to use the toad and protect the motorhome.

Gary Merrick
Gary Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote