HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Southern Stock and Super Stock Association

Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up From Mike Crutchfield, Your D2 SRAC Rep Update #2

Hi All,
We we just finished another SRAC Conference call and here is the latest.
All this will be better defined within the 2013 rule book.
Stock :
In 2013 it will be OK for anyone running a 3 speed automatic transmission to run a 2 speed trans and if you have a 2 speed you will be able to run a 3 speed. Your option ( this was previously passed for super stock in my last update for 2013)
V10 Mo pars will be able to bore there block for Babbitt cam bearing ( I would assume any combination that doesn't have Babbitt cam bearings will fall in to this category, not just the V10's) Only standard Babbitt cam bearings allowed , no roller bearings.
Marks in the tops of pistons. If the valves has just taped the top of the piston and the mark is not measurable it will be OK as long as the marks are not in all 8 pistons. If the marks are measurable then the piston is illegal regardless if in 1 or 8 pistons.
Super Stock
It was asked to change the rule on boring your SS engine from .075 to .080 since the blocks were still good and due to economic conditions no sense in having to throw out a perfectly good block and spending $4000 on a new one. The NHRA Super Stock committee tied on a vote on whether to allow or not ( 3 to 3) so this has been passed up one level to the next committee to vote on. So we don't have a ruling as of yet on this.
It was asked that there be a rule to limit cars from switching from SS to GT by implementing a rule that says the engine and body combinations for GT be at least "X" years apart. THIS WAS REJECTED
General:
We discussed the indexes for the Super Car Shoot Out at Indy, because some think the index that has been set so quick or low that potentially some of the cars participating in the shoot out wouldn't qualify for eliminations. We were told the index is set and the class was not designed to accommodate all the new cars. It was established for the faster or quicker class cars. Also the AHFS will not apply for anyone participating in the Shoot Out for the entire event, qualifying and eliminations.
We discussed giving NHRA an option of modifying individual NHRA HP factors on combinations that were potentially way out of line. Meaning if NHRA missed the factor on a "new" car that they would have so many months to go back and re-factor that combination. It was discussed would that really be fair to the racer that built that combo based upon the original NHRA factor. Plus should it be limited to just new combinations. The over all opinion was that we should let the AHFS run its course. Also it was pointed out that within the language of the AHFS NHRA does have that option but we were told they don't want to exercise it. They also feel that is what the AHFS is designed for. So nothing will change with the AHFS
Any rule changes for 2013 all have to be submitted by the next week so NHRA has time to finalize everything. As always I would not change or buy anything as a result of this note until it is official and in writing from NHRA.
There was also a request to change to wording for accepted type of factory produced cars in Modified Stock to read the same as Modified. This will allow Corvettes that were previously disallowed because of the wording. Thanks very much to Dave Mohn and the support from Bob Lang taking this council to the next level with communication from NHRA to the SRAC.

On a personal note, I have been humbled for the second time this year. The first time when you elected me to serve another term as your Representative voice on the SRAC. Thank you for that opportunity. I hope I am serving you well.
The second time recently is when I was nominated and then elected to the MPMC (Motorsports Parts Manufacturing Council) select committee, a council of SEMA established specifically for companies involved in manufacturing functional performance parts used in sanctioned racing applications. The MPMC is dedicated to addressing industry-specific issues and to preserve and promote the motorsports parts industry.
Some of you have ask me why I would want to be involved in such positions that come with a lot of stress for no pay. I guess the answer to that is my wife and I have molded most of our adult life around drag racing. My hope is to make a difference to preserve drag racing as we know it while incorporating new advancements without damaging the core values

PS. I am still looking for new D2 racers that wish to receive my SRAC updates. Please forward this to anyone you know that is not on the list and have them send me there email address with there class and permanent number .

Thanks very much for your support

Mike Crutchfield
D2 STK/SS SRAC member
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote