HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: indy tech fiasco's

>> I am not sure even why we are worried about every one else, because you should run your car, according to the rules set forth, and not worry about every one else.

Wow... That would be true if the rules set forth were being administrated equally and properly. If there is a concern that such is not the case, then I think people have a right to be concerned!

Take Patrick out of the equation -- from what I've read, I agree with you. There were others in the barn that were in question. Are you saying that folks shouldn't worry about someone being passed who was in fact illegal?

To me, the worst Indy teardown story is still regarding a gentleman who was tossed for actually having STOCK heads. (Figure that one out.)
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
FlyingW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ONE person did not decided Doug Patrick's fate at Indy. There were multiple tech officials that looked at and check the head. We are not talking about improper weight of pistons, a ring flange being to high, or any of the other problems... we are talking about a descrepency in measurements of over 2CC's. If there had been a consistant wrong measurement then the fault would lay soley on Doug and Bob Dennis, however when you can not duplicate a measurement of liquid, how can you say that person is wrong... the fault at that point lies with NHRA tech officials.

If they would have been able to duplicate numbers just once then this would not be such a big deal. However, please do not judge the entire situation and classify someone in the same category as those that come in with pistons to light, or ring flanges that are not right, especially when it is not their fault that the tech officals can not get a proper reading.

I am not one for people that cheat either, and I would not defend someone who I knew to be 100% wrong. However, I will defend someone who is getting crucfied for nothing.

Jeremy Waibel
B/SA 2231
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Daran Summerton

Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Jeremy take some advice and stop posting on issues you have no idea what your talking about. Doug did great in the eliminator and I'm very happy for him. Leave it be...
Daran Summerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #14
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

jeremy,
i agree about a 1/2 cc is only slightly wrong... and charley bob got what he had coming for the pistons... but the POINT here is... wrong is wrong... at least it used to be

anyway... i think you all get my opinion, like it or not.

jack mccarthy
Old 09-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
FlyingW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daran Summerton View Post
Jeremy take some advice and stop posting on issues you have no idea what your talking about. Doug did great in the eliminator and I'm very happy for him. Leave it be...
If you look at them I was the one that started the post of Doug being 100 % legal !!! I am very proud of him as well I think that he showed a great representation of Division 2.
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #16
Chris Hill

Liked 238 Times in 25 Posts

The "liberal enforcement" of the rulebook is one of the main reasons I stopped racing a few years ago, and will be the main reason why I will not race much after this point.

Let's start a list of items NHRA tech has scewed up on:

1. Doug Partrick allowed to race after having too small by 0.5 cc combustion chamber.
2. 4-angle valvejobs in stock, can't remember who.
3. A 440 cid engine with 400 main journals, Steve Wann.
4. Aluminum heads on originally cast iron, Bill Hawk.
5. Single 4bbl head on originally dual four bbl, 67 Shelby
6. Closed chamber heads replaced with open chamber heads (or vice versa), 396 BB Chevy Rectange ports.
7. Year model 1998 Lt-1 engine, they were actually LS-1's.
Chris Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hill View Post
The "liberal enforcement" of the rulebook is one of the main reasons I stopped racing a few years ago, and will be the main reason why I will not race much after this point.

Let's start a list of items NHRA tech has scewed up on:

1. Doug Partrick allowed to race after having too small by 0.5 cc combustion chamber.
2. 4-angle valvejobs in stock, can't remember who.
3. A 440 cid engine with 400 main journals, Steve Wann.
4. Aluminum heads on originally cast iron, Bill Hawk.
5. Single 4bbl head on originally dual four bbl, 67 Shelby
6. Closed chamber heads replaced with open chamber heads (or vice versa), 396 BB Chevy Rectange ports.
7. Year model 1998 Lt-1 engine, they were actually LS-1's.
Chris,

1. NHRA Rule book, Section 19.6.2, Page 264, Paragrah 2: Margin of error is 1% of 1cc. There is not a burrettte that is that accurate, not even electronic.

2. 4 angle valve jobs are illegal according to the rule book.

3. There is no rule in Super Stock that prevents the use of the 383 block as a 440 block. What if you bore the mains to a 400 size? If you look, the rules apply to the conecting rods journal size and not crankshaft.

4. Aluminum replacement aftermarket heads have been approved for many, including Ford and Chevy.

5. Dual 4bbl.; blame NHRA and not the racer. They did what NHRA allows anyone to do; show documentation. The same pratcice has been used to incorporated other engines in the class such as the Olds 350 EFI that was used in the Cadillac.

6. Closed chamber vs. Open, blame again NHRA and not the racers.

7. LT-1 engine use; NHRA allowed it.

In a nutshell, NHRA makes the rules and the call, not the racer.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Chris Hill

Liked 238 Times in 25 Posts

SS Div6,

Please read all the words.

Chris
Chris Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Chris i have explained time and time again why the LT1's were made legal for the 98 Camaros and Firebirds,,,,,,,,let it rest son, your bitching isn't going to make it go away! Bitching about NHRA and the Tech issues isn't going to help either, believe me, i have been there and done that. The Tech guys are trying their damnest to do their Job!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
Bud Lefevre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=FlyingW;39731
I know when I go to National events and even divisional races, VERY few times have I had time to go down to the tech barn to be nosey and see what was going on ?
Jeremy Waibel
B/SA 2231[/QUOTE]

At the Indy U S Nationals, on tear down day unless your running a SSer also, you have nothing to do.