HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Ford Class Racers

As Ken said, the NHRA specs are a little messed up for the 70 and 71 Torino. However, there is an opportunity with the '71. Although they mistakenly omit the 429/375 with the solid cam and 780, they still have the 429/370 hydraulic/Quadrajet rated at 355, and that is probably a pretty decent combination. They dropped both the 370 and 375 to 355 back in 2002 and the Mustang has been bumped to 360 since then, but not the Torino. The cam is pretty much a wash with the phony hydraulic lifters used these days, and thanks to the multitude of GM racers, the Q-jet is only a slight disadvantage to the Holley at this point. You don't have to find the original very rare Q-jet used on these engines, just the dimensions have to be right. Finding the D0OE-D intake shouldn't be to hard either, the D0OE-R heads are tougher to find unmolested.
If you wanted to go the 429 route, send me a PM as I have most of what you need, and it is just collecting dust.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Rose Racing

Liked 141 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
As Ken said, the NHRA specs are a little messed up for the 70 and 71 Torino. However, there is an opportunity with the '71. Although they mistakenly omit the 429/375 with the solid cam and 780, they still have the 429/370 hydraulic/Quadrajet rated at 355, and that is probably a pretty decent combination. They dropped both the 370 and 375 to 355 back in 2002 and the Mustang has been bumped to 360 since then, but not the Torino. The cam is pretty much a wash with the phony hydraulic lifters used these days, and thanks to the multitude of GM racers, the Q-jet is only a slight disadvantage to the Holley at this point. You don't have to find the original very rare Q-jet used on these engines, just the dimensions have to be right. Finding the D0OE-D intake shouldn't be to hard either, the D0OE-R heads are tougher to find unmolested.
If you wanted to go the 429 route, send me a PM as I have most of what you need, and it is just collecting dust.
OK THANK YOU but it will have to wait for the future as I dont have the cash at the moment but you are deffinately a future reference!
Rose Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
k.pascoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I think the NHRA might have it right on this one. Ford did not install any 375 hp Drag Pack Torinos in 1971. I'm a Ford guy and I've only seen '71 Mustangs with the Drag Pack. The option was dropped in '71 for the Torinos.
k.pascoe is offline   Reply With Quote