HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Rose Racing

Liked 141 Times in 55 Posts
Default Ford Class Racers

Hi im planning out a 1970 or 1971 Torino Stocker and im thinking about what Ford engine would work best and what do you run in your Ford Stocker or Super Stocker and what would be the best bang for the buck?I keep thinking 351 Cleveland and what Tranny do you run and what works best?I keep thinking clutchless Liberty or plain Automatic?Im sure some Ford guys on here would enjoy discussing this or atleast im hoping you enjoy this topic? THANK YOU anyways
Rose Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Ford Class Racers

I`m not sure if the Torinos were the same, but in the Mustangs, the 70s had to use the autolite 4300 carb, while 71 & up were able to use the aluminum intake and Holley 780. The 70 also had a smaller cam, so if you do chose a Cleveland, you may want to find a 71 grille. I always thought that the 429s were rated kinda high, but I believe they had some HP taken off not too long ago. I`m a stick guy, but those Torinos are pretty heavy.......
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,172 Times in 1,236 Posts

If you can get NHRA to correct the Stock Car Classification Guide, the 429/375 rated at 360 would be a very good combo. It would a natural E car if you claim it as a Cobra Torino. The Problem is they don’t show the 375 engine. Having owned two of these cars, I know they came with the 429/375. What makes this a better engine than the 370 is the 375 gets a solid cam and 780 Holley. If you can get NHRA to correct the guide it would be an easy 8 under combo. The 71 Mustang with a 429/375 is rated at 360. This engine was available in all Torino’s, Mustangs, Montego’s and Cougar’s in 1971.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Rose Racing

Well im also considering Super Stock by the way if anything in Super Stock would be easier?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Forget SS unless you own a bank, Stocker's are enough of an expense to build. SS is over the top. Much cheaper to buy a car than build as you will soon find out.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pagano View Post
Forget SS unless you own a bank, Stocker's are enough of an expense to build. SS is over the top. Much cheaper to buy a car than build as you will soon find out.
^^^^^What he said^^^^^
In my humble opinion. If you aren't emotionally attached and haven't really invested anything in the ride you have you might be better off to find a later model Mustang and go SS/GT with one of the new pushrod paper motors. To me that would be the easiest and most affordable way of getting out there. But either way I would go with a stick if you want to have fun and enjoy the time going down the track. Now if your wife, girlfriend or daughter is going to be driving it then I would recommend the automatic. I'm in the process of building a 69 Fairlane Cobra 428 CJ 4 speed car to run stock with and these old cars are not the best avenue for a top notch competitive car against todays newer stuff. If this car didn't mean so much to me and my family I would definitely look into something else that the aftermarket supports and that would have a strut front end with a shorter wheelbase and more aerodynamic. Something to think about. But I do like the 70 and 71 Torino's. I race in a local Stick shift circuit with a friend of mine that runs a 70 1/2 Falcon which is the same thing as the Torino and he's got it working pretty good but these old cars are tricky and challenging at times.

Best of luck to you.
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

What i did just this year was sold my 1969 mustang cj car and bought a ford stocker,and once i found out all of the things that were needed to to get this car to run like it does i am glad that i bought a car rather than trying to build one, the car's that run way under the index or really complicated and expensive.
astikhossw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Rose Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Cobra View Post
^^^^^What he said^^^^^
In my humble opinion. If you aren't emotionally attached and haven't really invested anything in the ride you have you might be better off to find a later model Mustang and go SS/GT with one of the new pushrod paper motors. To me that would be the easiest and most affordable way of getting out there. But either way I would go with a stick if you want to have fun and enjoy the time going down the track. Now if your wife, girlfriend or daughter is going to be driving it then I would recommend the automatic. I'm in the process of building a 69 Fairlane Cobra 428 CJ 4 speed car to run stock with and these old cars are not the best avenue for a top notch competitive car against todays newer stuff. If this car didn't mean so much to me and my family I would definitely look into something else that the aftermarket supports and that would have a strut front end with a shorter wheelbase and more aerodynamic. Something to think about. But I do like the 70 and 71 Torino's. I race in a local Stick shift circuit with a friend of mine that runs a 70 1/2 Falcon which is the same thing as the Torino and he's got it working pretty good but these old cars are tricky and challenging at times.

Best of luck to you.
thank you I am running a bracket 72 Pinto that runs 10.0s right now I do not just wanna run Stock I wanna do it in a fun exciting way and im not really all that concerned about being top dog or being competitive as I simply wanna have fun and running a new mustang isnt very fun or exciting for me but running a kool old school Ford Torino that you dont see everyday would be very much fun for me and half the fun for me is building the car and tinkering figuring out what works and what doesnt I already have a car that works and works very well as we bought the Pinto complete and I would build the Torino to tinker with and mess around with and run divisional and local events as I refuse to run .90 classes I hate delay boxes.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Racing View Post
thank you I am running a bracket 72 Pinto that runs 10.0s right now I do not just wanna run Stock I wanna do it in a fun exciting way and im not really all that concerned about being top dog or being competitive as I simply wanna have fun and running a new mustang isnt very fun or exciting for me but running a kool old school Ford Torino that you dont see everyday would be very much fun for me and half the fun for me is building the car and tinkering figuring out what works and what doesnt I already have a car that works and works very well as we bought the Pinto complete and I would build the Torino to tinker with and mess around with and run divisional and local events as I refuse to run .90 classes I hate delay boxes.
I can respect that. Do you already have the car? Where are you located?
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Rose Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Cobra View Post
I can respect that. Do you already have the car? Where are you located?
No not yet right now im focused on my Pinto but im looking for a Torino at a descent price at the moment and Sandusky Ohio