Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Stocker Pistons....Pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Unterseh View Post
Jeffy, Jeffy, Jeffy, I agree with you on the ring seal,,, 100%, but the assembly has to weigh a certain amount, no matter what piston, rod, ring set up. I've run fast with FACTORY .030 pistons.... oh wait... that is what I'm still running, and even in the new motor too !!!!!!!!!! You are telling me and the rest of the world that you can't run fast with heavy pistons nowadays?????... tell that to me one more time, and Harry, and Jon, and Fred, and many, many others. I'm putting together a motor for the car that I think/hope will run fast. I challenge you to bring out the AMC/Mopar with stock rocker arms, stock rearend... mine has both. ... Name the date, track and time... I'm there. ready, willing and able. Lets see how far under you can go... no scoreboards,,,, just timeslips.
Ricky, Ricky...RICKY! I thoroughly reviewed my comments on this subject and nowhere did I say anything about weight. I discussed ring seal, ring grooves, wrist pin position and the shape of the skirt (none of these were specific technical data merely issues that modern pistons have an advantage of. Your results may vary, consult with your favorite piston manufacturer and engine shop for specifics), but I did not say lighten a piston. You sound like a Presidential candidate trying to put words in my mouth! Like Mitt said, "you can have your race car, you can have your own trailer, but you can't make up your own facts!"
But heck, since your running a turbo charged stocker, you might want to run a thicker / heavier piston with the ring groves moved down an extra hundred thou (or more) to better survive the higher than stock boost you have to run to go so far under the index. As a former turo-racer myself, I know how much an extra 10 or 15 pounds of boost can make! Oh, I guess I shouldn't bring that up...
You should mention that in your challenge. You'll run stock boost (what is that on a 301, 4#'s?)....I'll have NHRA legal rockers and the corporate rear end that's allowed by every other stocker thank you. And yes, I'll be glad to race you against our indexes. You can do it with stock boost or peg the boost gauge boost. Make it two out of three and steam coming out of your head gaskets or milky oil disqualifies you

I just hope we have a local track still open

Last edited by Jeff Lee; 10-10-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Jeff Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Rick Unterseh

Liked 31 Times in 7 Posts
Talking Re: Stocker Pistons....Pontiac

Jeffy, Jeffy, Jeffy,,,,,, As a "former Turo racer myself" you should know that boost isn't everything.... it's a measure of restriction !!!! too much boost and you go slower,,, Factory was 6-9 Lbs. and I'm not running much more than that !!!!!!!!! so Bring it
Rick Unterseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Stocker Pistons....Pontiac

Boys, Boys, Boys........Can't we all just get along??????

This is a question for Brent.....

I didn't see a part number on the TRW pistons that you planned on running?????

I don't know combo you want to run, but for a 400 the only legal TRW is a TRW L2440

Just thought that I would ask.............

Bob