HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
StockerRook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Trans shield Clarificaion

Was trying to clarify if a stocker with an auto tranny needed a flexplate and trans shield. The rule books says for any car running 10.99 or quicker or 135 or faster, except in certain stock and super stock classes. In the stock section, I dont really see anything except for people running manual transmissions. I hope it runs quicker than 10..99 but it wont run 135 or faster.

I know in other classes it has a section that specifically states an auto needs a shield , but stock was kind of vague. Thanks to anybody that can clarify this.

Chris
StockerRook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,044 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: Trans shield Clarificaion

The rule in Stock is 9.99. Or at least it was.

If you want or need a rule clarification, it is always best to get it in writing from Glendora, and keep it with the car.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question to N.H.R.A. Technical services

Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 3:09 PM
To: #Technical Services
Subject: Flexplat and transmission shields for Stock Class Cars

Re; Flexplate and transmission shields for Stock Class running faster than 9.99 seconds

Dear Mr. Bachelder;

Are the Stock Class cars running 9.99 seconds or quicker exempt from the requirement of a Flexplate shield and Transmission shield?

Thank you

Peter Ash

Reply;

Peter Ash,
NHRA Rule Book Page 6 Section 10A: Transmission case must be OEM or Aftermarket OEM Replica from a standard automotive application as found in the Official NHRA Stock Car Class Guide. Aftermarket case must meet SFI Spec 4.1 and 30.1

OEM case does not need to meet this requirement.

Bruce B.

Last edited by Peter Ash; 02-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Peter Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

rule book says ANY car running quicker than 10.99 AND/OR135 mph must have both shields (flex/trans) and a ALSO SFI flexplate REGARDLESS OF CLASS unless the rule book specifically allows it--General regulations back of the rule book buried in the Auto Trans section--ya have to look for it---NO shields necessary if ya have an APPROVED aftermarket trans case BUT ya still need the flexplate---2012 NHRA rule book--Section 20 page 12 sub-section 2:14 spells it out for ya-- basically if ya can run faster than 135 MPH or quicker than 10.99 YES
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ash View Post
Question to N.H.R.A. Technical services

Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 3:09 PM
To: #Technical Services
Subject: Flexplat and transmission shields for Stock Class Cars

Re; Flexplate and transmission shields for Stock Class running faster than 9.99 seconds

Dear Mr. Bachelder;

Are the Stock Class cars running 9.99 seconds or quicker exempt from the requirement of a Flexplate shield and Transmission shield?

Thank you

Peter Ash

Reply;

Peter Ash,
NHRA Rule Book Page 6 Section 10A: Transmission case must be OEM or Aftermarket OEM Replica from a standard automotive application as found in the Official NHRA Stock Car Class Guide. Aftermarket case must meet SFI Spec 4.1 and 30.1

OEM case does not need to meet this requirement.

Bruce B.

Basically he didn't answer the question!
You asked about flex plate and transmission shields and he talked about trans cases so I guess the question is still open.

JimR

Last edited by treessavoy; 02-21-2012 at 01:21 AM.
treessavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

it aint open look at my post there's yer answer--Bruce did not either read the ? or he answered the ? wrong---if ya go quicker than 10:99 or faster than 135 REGARDLESS of which class yer in ya need a shield EXCEPT if ya have an approved aftermkt case OR yer class is exempted(porsche/vw)---what dont ya understand here???????????????????--- ya also need a SFI flexplate !!! understand ???
10.99 or quicker SHIELD/PLATE
135 or faster SHIELD?PLATE--

FORGET BRUCE read the rule book its in there
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
rule book says ANY car running quicker than 10.99 AND/OR135 mph must have both shields (flex/trans) and a ALSO SFI flexplate REGARDLESS OF CLASS unless the rule book specifically allows it--General regulations back of the rule book buried in the Auto Trans section--ya have to look for it---NO shields necessary if ya have an APPROVED aftermarket trans case BUT ya still need the flexplate---2012 NHRA rule book--Section 20 page 12 sub-section 2:14 spells it out for ya-- basically if ya can run faster than 135 MPH or quicker than 10.99 YES
What about the quote "(except some Stock and Super Stock classes as noted under Class Requirements) " in General Regulation # 2:14. I think the original poster was also inquiring about this quote in rule 2:14.

Last edited by Peter Ash; 02-20-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For some clarification I posed a more specific question to N.H.R.A. Technical Department

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:03 PM
To: Bruce Bachelder
Subject: Re: Flexplat and transmission shields for Stock Class Cars

Dear Mr. Bachelder

Thank you for your quick reponse to my inquiry.

As I am not quite sure your answer gives me all the information I may require, I wish to rephrase my question.

In Section 20, Page 14, Rule 2:14 of the General Regulations. Does the phrase(except some Stock and Super Stock classes as noted under Class Requirements) exempt a Stock Class Car using an OEM Automatic Transmission case, running 9.99 seconds or quicker and 135 miles per hour or faster, from the requirement of an SFI approved Flexplate Shield and an SFI approved Transmission Shield ?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Peter Ash

ANSWER: YES IT DOES.

Last edited by Peter Ash; 02-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks, Peter.

JimR
Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ash View Post
For some clarification I posed a more specific question to N.H.R.A. Technical Department

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:03 PM
To: Bruce Bachelder
Subject: Re: Flexplat and transmission shields for Stock Class Cars

Dear Mr. Bachelder

Thank you for your quick reponse to my inquiry.

As I am not quite sure your answer gives me all the information I may require, I wish to rephrase my question.

In Section 20, Page 14, Rule 2:14 of the General Regulations. Does the phrase(except some Stock and Super Stock classes as noted under Class Requirements) exempt a Stock Class Car using an OEM Automatic Transmission case, running 9.99 seconds or quicker and 135 miles per hour or faster, from the requirement of an SFI approved Flexplate Shield and an SFI approved Transmission Shield ?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Peter Ash

ANSWER: YES IT DOES.
But what should be noted by all responsible racer types is that even though it may not be "required" it is suggested and should be used for the sake of ones safety and others......no dragpak should should be on the track without shields...required or not.....as a old chemistry professor told us.......you can do anything in life once(as we mixed acids).....Sure you could take a stock steel drum 904 and run it behind a 6.1DP or 6.4 DP but if it lets go at 2.75X7,000 RPM, but you might only get to experience that misadventure once!