HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,228 Times in 595 Posts
Question AHFS - Good or Bad????

With all the discussion in another thread about setting National Records in Stock or Super Stock I thought why not ask this question. Is the AHFS doing it's job or not??? Many people would like to set records but are penalized for going 1.20 or more under their index. In looking at the current records in both stock and super stock I see some that are more than 1.20 under the index, yet the cars are still in that same class. I am not here to criticize those racers because they have worked hard (in most cases) to get their cars to perform at that level.

I realize that many combos have never been run so performance is a question mark going in. A prime example is Larry Hill's V/S pickup at Indy last year. That truck went well over 2.00 under the index and now is in R/S. No record set with the truck, but now is where it belongs. My hat is off to Larry (and all who helped him) for showing the true potential of this combination. Are there other combinations that are in the same boat (so to speak)??

I am 65 years old, so have been around for awhile. I have many friends that race stock and/or super stock, and this subject has been discussed many times over the last few years.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Talking Re: AHFS - Good or Bad????

Doesn't look like anyone is in a hurry to open this can of worms, Ron.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exclamation Re: AHFS - Good or Bad????

the system aint **** new cars dont get hp give all combos their factory rating back and be done race there is the can of worms open

Last edited by Mickey Whaley; 06-24-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: dgaf
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Lightbulb Re: AHFS - Good or Bad????

It has taken longer than most would like but the system is working .Many new combos have been hit several times and are now inline.Along with that several old combos have been given horsepower back to put them inline with everyone else .All that plus at almost every race someone hits the -1.20 under deal .
Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: AHFS - Good or Bad????

Carguy49:

Alot of those records that are more than 1.20 under were set at National Opens where the AHFS does not apply.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Re: AHFS - Good or Bad????

yep the gong show and the price is right think of a numbber and tell me what it is?
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Doug McCue

Liked 13 Times in 2 Posts

A new thought or maybe not. Quit putting hp on fast cars, let them be fast. Enhance those cars that have to compete with the fast cars. Hmmmm maybe or not?
Doug McCue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Gary Parker

Liked 373 Times in 50 Posts

Racer A spends a lot of time and hard work to make his car fast.. His reward, get more horsepower and put weight in the car. Race B Does not work on it that much. Spends as little as possible, His reward, take horsepower off and take weight out.. Wish there was an easy solution, but I do not see it....
Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

The AHFS is slow to work, at best, because NHRA rarely, if ever, truly puts the emphasis on performance in Stock Eliminator and Super Stock any more. Therefore, as adeptly stated by Mr. Parker, it is pretty much a penalty paid by guys who work hard and spend money to go fast, and there are no real rewards. So long as that is the case, situations where it works will be rare.

If you were interested in doing a search, this subject (AHFS), or subjects (AHFS and performance rewards, or lack thereof), have been discussed at length, multiple times, sometimes for 10 or more pages.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #10
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Needless to say 'Needs Work'. Dynamic classes such as Stock and Super Stock that change often with new allowable parts or rule enhancement or just smart people working on their cars which are regulated by Static numbers; not moving 1.00 under trigger, 1.20 under instant, .850 under each period just for a few. Both should be moving all the time and based on averages for the classes or combos. It would not be very hard to do this, and adjust some things as it becomes necessary. So far there has been little interest on NHRA's part for change.