HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts
Default A Cheating Bunch

"Of course, I say that with a smirk and a smile on my face… all kiddingly naturally."

https://dragracingedge.com/featured-...heating-bunch/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210214_0001-2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	56788  
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
Ok stocker

Liked 101 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: A Cheating Bunch

Went my son was in Boy Scouts they had the derby cars built from kits. They stressed the weight had to meet. We showed up with a car that met weight and all the rules. The more experienced adults knew they were not actually going to weigh the cars. We came in last place. Lol
I picked up one of my sons friends cars. I bet it weighed 10 lbs. That’s when I learned a valuable lesson.
Ok stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts

There was something I read a while ago about the "soap box derby" cars. The cars are held up at :start of the ramp by a metal plate. Someone figured out where to mount a magnet so that when the plate dropped down, the magnet would help give a good hole shot and win.
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
BG56

Liked 274 Times in 100 Posts

If you stick around after the Pinewood Derby is over you'll see the Real fast cars come out. The organizers and 'informed' parents had cars that were built to run fast, no asthetics. Aside from polishing the axles and 'rounding' the wheels, all you need is a 3/4" wood dowel hollowed out and filled with weight (lead). Weight mounted as low as possible and alignment was very important . I won't get into the CNCd wheels and axles, but of course there was not a scale to be found either!
BG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Cool Re: A Cheating Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG56 View Post
If you stick around after the Pinewood Derby is over you'll see the Real fast cars come out. The organizers and 'informed' parents had cars that were built to run fast, no asthetics. Aside from polishing the axles and 'rounding' the wheels, all you need is a 3/4" wood dowel hollowed out and filled with weight (lead). Weight mounted as low as possible and alignment was very important . I won't get into the CNCd wheels and axles, but of course there was not a scale to be found either!
One of the best things about cub scouts for myself and my son and the extended family. Back when I was a kid, 76/77 I went to the new england regionals with my built in the basement special. Looked bad, hauled ***, and certainly weighed, graphite on those wheels, and only having 3 out of 4 down, along with Irish coins in the rear were the trick for me. Still proud of that bad boy.

I couldn't compete with the 100% dad built toys that rolled in there.

When my kid was of age, I followed the same formula, he built it, decorated it, I tweaked it on the weight front and setup, three wheels down, etc, used my big dollar digital scale at work to be 100% legal. He did well all three years with his home built toys, earned whatever he got, now he's a Marine, where as the saying goes earned, not given.

Eric
Old 02-17-2021, 08:23 PM   #6
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

cheating is when you specifically disobey something that is in black and white.. example, nitrous oxide is not allowed in prostock and you hide it in the drysump tank. using the rules to your advantage, innovative!. formula 1 at one point limited fuel tank size, one team found out they could put 20pct more fuel in if they cooled fuel significantly. unforseen problem. race delayed while cars on grid and fuel started overflowing as it warmed up
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #7
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kissel View Post
There was something I read a while ago about the "soap box derby" cars. The cars are held up at :start of the ramp by a metal plate. Someone figured out where to mount a magnet so that when the plate dropped down, the magnet would help give a good hole shot and win.
This was a great story. I had to think for a minute what it was a accomplishing.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #8
Cbrinson47

Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Talking Re: A Cheating Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by john kissel View Post
there was something i read a while ago about the "soap box derby" cars. The cars are held up at :start of the ramp by a metal plate. Someone figured out where to mount a magnet so that when the plate dropped down, the magnet would help give a good hole shot and win.
sounds like stock elim racers !

Last edited by Cbrinson47; 02-18-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Cbrinson47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #9
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok stocker View Post
Went my son was in Boy Scouts they had the derby cars built from kits. They stressed the weight had to meet. We showed up with a car that met weight and all the rules. The more experienced adults knew they were not actually going to weigh the cars. We came in last place. Lol
I picked up one of my sons friends cars. I bet it weighed 10 lbs. That’s when I learned a valuable lesson.
KY seems to be ahead in some areas of country.. We have always had to show ID to vote even though half the people there working had/have knew me my whole life..still had to show ID..
When I was in Cub Scouts which has been 45 years ago now....I won our Pinewood Derby.or should I say my Dad did LOL ...Dad had weighed at the grocery store then had screw in weights if needed adjusting at the race.... our cars were weighed before the races then set directly on the track for that round..
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:02 PM   #10

Liked 917 Times in 239 Posts

For those who were involved with Cub Scouts, you know its a parent/scout project. For the most part, the parent ( usually some over competitive father) spends hours prepping axles and wheels and puts the weight in just the right spot.

A good friend of mine who works for Penske racing was involved with his son in a scout troop that almost every father was involved with a NASCAR team. They ended up instituting an “impound “ policy after weigh in because the cars would be reengineered between weigh in and the race. He told me there is nothing more competitive than 20+ nascar dads trying to win a pinewood derby race. Lol

Just to add, all 5 of the cars Doug posted a pic of won fastest in rank, and top 3 overall in troop in all5 years we raced. :-)

1342 SS/GT

Last edited by 1347; 02-20-2021 at 09:05 PM.
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote