VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: flat bed, open trailer

HP, what brand and where did you buy?
Old 11-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #13
Gmirza

Liked 210 Times in 82 Posts

A lot of nice open trailers out there. I just moved up to an enclosed after many years with an open U&W. Towed great and was easy to load. I would recommend the trailer have a decent tool box and 4 wheel brakes. Material is your choice, both have advantages and disadvantages.
Gmirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
BA1927

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

I have been using an all Aluminum open for the past few years and for my money if going in that direction the best trailer out there was my 19' Imperial full deck (all Aluminum) which I just sold to go back to an enclosed - but it was easy to load and unload - could tow our Dakota Stocker on it with a Dodge 1500 with no problem at any speed with no sway and no need for bars however the down side is all the junk we have to bring in bad weather it is a problem to try and keep things under cover and if you bring a scooter or bike no problem but if a golf cart is in your plans than you would need something longer to provide space to load a cart maybe sideways - just my $.02
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 IMPERIAL TRAILER FROM THE REAR.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	52659  
BA1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
HP, what brand and where did you buy?
Custom trailer sales in Ok city, told them what I wanted, they made it. 4395.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0-1.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	52660  
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #16
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Lightbulb Re: flat bed, open trailer

Not sure I would go with a tilt style but that's just rumours I heard when I was looking. I had an enclosed 24 Classic and it was the nicest enclosed for the $$$. My Buick weighs 3700 lbs and with it in the enclosed my Silverado 1500 could smell the hills. The 1/2 tonne is just too light and springs and brakes are marginal for that weight IMHO.

I went with an ATC alum 18 foot and it tows like a dream. Looks great, easy access and as said 50% fuel savings is exact. I get so many thumbs up when towing. This is a perfect fit for a 1/2 tonne pick up.

With that said I would like a 20 ft ATC alum enclosed as I am so happy with the open, It would be nice to have the car out of the elements some days, however it would mean getting a 3/4 tonne pick up and the costs to buy and everyday driving fuel costs go up so I am still sitting on the fence post. The open is hard to beat for close to home and I don't go far so this might be the deciding factor.

One last thought is the alum open is very easy to sell down the road and hold there value very good. I have a few people inline to buy mine if I sell.

How the H E double hockey sticks to you post pics on this form???

Good luck

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Smile Re: flat bed, open trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN View Post
Not sure I would go with a tilt style but that's just rumours I heard when I was looking. I had an enclosed 24 Classic and it was the nicest enclosed for the $$$. My Buick weighs 3700 lbs and with it in the enclosed my Silverado 1500 could smell the hills. The 1/2 tonne is just too light and springs and brakes are marginal for that weight IMHO.

I went with an ATC alum 18 foot and it tows like a dream. Looks great, easy access and as said 50% fuel savings is exact. I get so many thumbs up when towing. This is a perfect fit for a 1/2 tonne pick up.

With that said I would like a 20 ft ATC alum enclosed as I am so happy with the open, It would be nice to have the car out of the elements some days, however it would mean getting a 3/4 tonne pick up and the costs to buy and everyday driving fuel costs go up so I am still sitting on the fence post. The open is hard to beat for close to home and I don't go far so this might be the deciding factor.

One last thought is the alum open is very easy to sell down the road and hold there value very good. I have a few people inline to buy mine if I sell.

How the H E double hockey sticks to you post pics on this form???

Good luck
I dont' know about needing a 3/4 ton for a 20-24 ATC enclosed. They can be super light, I have the Raven with upgraded walls, 16 inch on center posts, a winch and commercial floor covering and its 3,000 lbs, the 20 foot featherlite was 1925 I think.

You have seen my v8 08 4runner and it tows the 24 foot enclosed ATC like a dream, 12-13 mpg towing if keeping the rpm's in the motors sweet spot. Open towing the featherlite would get around 13-13.5 towing best ever was dragpak at 14.7(good areodynamics), dakota could be under 13.

As a comparison the 24 foot steel Vintage bandit was more $ towing like 10 mpg, but it wasn't too bad all things considered.

Oddly my 20 foot all aluminum endlosed goldrush tows just like the Bandit, 10mpg-11mpg it might be getting nailed with drag with the 4runner.

The 2015 tacoma v6 towing the same 20 foot goldrush is in the 13MPG zone.

Diffferent tow vehicles do matter....the 93 one ton dodge magnum 360 with 4.10 rear doesn't care what trailer is back there, its going to get the same mpg, 10-11.

With careful driving a good brake controller, etc, you can do like I did the tow to Bradenton FL and back in January event free with a 1/2 ton, bigger, ie diesel would be even better of course, but not a got to have, super nice to have.

96 ford Diesel rollback I had would tow up the hill on the mass pike on cruise with the ac on at 70 no drama, miss that truck.

I towed a lot with the featherlite open 20' it was perfect for the smaller tow rig, even fun in the mountains, something not to be said about an enclosed wind brake!

Eric
Old 12-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #18
Neverenoughracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a Sundowner Ultra it tows great came with toolbox that looked like it belonged on the trailer. The craftsmanship is unbelievable. All aluminum and they have a great warranty
Neverenoughracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #19
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

I like the Sundowner and there is a dealer 60 miles from me in Canton Tx
Old 12-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #20
fordteacherguy

Liked 147 Times in 47 Posts

For single car tow I use a 22' Featherlite 3180. Great length for 1 car + golf cart. Weighs 1550 empty.
What was very nice are all of the standard Featherlite features....aircraft type adjustable tie down tracks...premium tires, aluminum wheels...self adjust brakes...torsion axles..removable fenders..low height..led lights...I love this trailer and how it tows.
fordteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote