Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts
Default My Junk 96 Firebird LT1 Stocker Project

My initial goals were to
1. complete the car
2. Pass Tech
3. Be able to run the index or better

I am almost done now. This is the second one I have built. The first was destroyed along with my entire shop in a Tornado 2 years ago so that did not help the process. I should have started this thread a long time ago. But thought I would post some pictures as I have time to do so for anyone who might want to see it. If you see something I have done that is not Legal or Correct. Please feel free to point out my mistakes. My biggest Fear in the whole deal is that I will make a mistake building it. And get a years vacation and my name in National Dragster for it. I am 99.99999% sure its right especially the engine as I do not have the equipment to do machine work so it had to be farmed out to those that can do that work. Other than machine work I have done it all myself so there is no one for me to blame but myself if its not right. And that's kind of how I like to do things. Right now I pretty much just have the wiring to finish and install some interior panels, Align the front end and it should be ready to go start shaking it down. My original plan was to strip the car and do all of the body work from the get go. But after sitting in 2 different body shops for long periods of time with no work done. I said screw it and painted the engine compartment and a few other pieces myself and started building it. Its not going to set any records and will not win best appearing even if I took it to a show at the salvage yard LOL. But I have to start somewhere and this is what I got. Its been a long process. Mainly because I am still bracket racing one of my current cars every weekend. Plus I have multiple businesses to run at the same time. So I often times go days, weeks or even months last winter. Where I just have no time to work on it. I should have most likely just bought a car that was done and ready to race. Although I did try that and got ripped off, went to court and won. And I need to start the process of garnishing his wages and seizing any assets he might have to get the money back I won in my lawsuit. But that's another story for another day. I have had TONS of help from so many people along the way its hard to remember them all. But most of them are people who while I have not met in person. I "met" them through Class Racer. So to avoid the chance of leaving someone out. I will just say thank you to everybody who has helped me. I secretly blame Ed Wright for the bug that got in me to do this. I went down to have one of my bracket cars tuned on his chassis dyno. And he was nice enough to take me up and show me his SS car. That was all it took to set the hook and get me started down the path to a Stocker. So here goes hopefully these pictures will load. I was hoping to make the divisional at Bowling Green in a few weeks. But have had absolutely NO time in the last 5 days to even look at it. So we will see about that. If not maybe I can make the race at Ohio Valley or the Fall Classic at Indy in October. It really just depends on free time and how the car acts once I get it to the track. My other 2 cars are also LT1 cars and one uses all the same suspension stuff that is in this car so that will help speed things up there. The big unknowns are the converter and engine tuning. And God only knows what else will pop up once I get it running. So here goes please dont laugh to hard when you see it. I will try and post a beginning picture of my $675 Ebay car I started with and how it currently sits and then fill in the blanks with more pictures as I have time.

Edit: I know I cant run it in D with this hood. I was originally going to run the steel hood because I was having trouble finding a factory ram air hood. But I found this one a few weeks ago over by Louisville KY. So I need to call and order some different letters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Firebird as it sits today.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	20492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue firebird day I got it 2.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	20493  

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 08-06-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: My Junk 96 Firebird LT1 Stocker Project

Rob, great job, nice work and don't worry all they can say at tech is get those things fix before the next race unless your number one qualifier at Indy.lol keep at it and I look forward to seeing the finish product.CLAUDE RUEL
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Rob, I've seen enough of your stuff to know it won't be junk.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

more photos. The goofy red switch covers are not going to be used. They were on that panel when I got it. I was not very good at taking pictures as I went along especially when I was stripping the car. And they jump all over the place but I will try to keep them in some kind of order if possible. Plus they are on 2 different computers and several phones so as I dig them up I will post them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	engine bay before paint 2.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	20498   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture of blue firebird 2.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	20500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine bay after paint.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	20504  

Name:	Dash.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	20505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine in my office.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	20506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frons suspension.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	20507  

Name:	mocking up fuel cell and weight box.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	20508  

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 08-06-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
Liked
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

and some more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Body parts from donor cars 2.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	20509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll Bar 2.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	20510   Click image for larger version

Name:	lt1 K member 2.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	20511  

Name:	RS Front suspension 2.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	20512  
Liked
Old 12-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Because I'm wondering what its worth. Will go 6/10 under B in good air. I've got lifters and some other parts to change. So maybe better. Last race I ran in it was Gateway Divisional in 2015. Got busy working. Then I got hurt in early 2018 and have not been able to work or race since. If the doctor drops the hammer on me. And says racing is over for me. Or God forbid something happens to me during one of these procedures. I'd like an idea of what its worth to help my wife sell it. I'm going to try to get lifters changed and run it on chassis dyno to check tuning. Then put somebody in it(if I cant do it) for a few passes in the spring. So we know for sure what it will run before officially listing it for sale. Plus I'm still praying for a miracle at the doctors office to happen. So that said. What do you think I should ask for it? In the event I sell. Toter and Stacker will go after this sells. Other cars will probably stay for sentimental reasons.

Strange rear
Dual Aerospace calipers on back
Single Aerospace on front
Strange Master Cylinder
S&W suspension stuff in the rear (torque arm, subframe connectors, pan hard, LCA's)
TH350 with auto 1-2 shift
ATI converter
Precision Performance Shifter
Global west in front A Arms
Afco Double adjustable on front
Singles adjustables on the back (have doubles to go on it)
Spohn steering rack
6 point Wolf Racecaft roll bar
Aeromotive pump and filters
Modern Heads
1409X valve springs
Headman headers
Roller Rockers (I think they are comp cams just cant remember right now)
Comp cam and pushrods
CP pistons
Manley Rods
Crank was Race prepped for a stocker
Total seal rings
LVDR Schuman oil pump
SFI flexplate
Holley Commander 950 with 2 spare ECU's and 2 laptops
ATI balancer
East Coast Auto Electric alternator
Meziere electric water pump
Optima Red Top Battery
Aeromotive Fuel sample valve
Simpson Belts (need to check dates)
Kirkey Seats
Autometer Gauges
Aluminum Fuel cell
2 Aluminum Weight boxes
Probably more that I cannot think of but hopefully you get an idea of what it is.

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 12-05-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,662 Times in 850 Posts

Sorry to hear about your long climb to hopefully get back in the saddle. You might have seen Tom Goldman’s WTB thread but if you’re in the same ballpark as Chet Fincke’s car then you might call him to discuss. Sounds like lots of good parts.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Stock-Sup...1&np_offset=63
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote