HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 02-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts
Default Re: Boss Block and Stock Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast View Post
Ok just relax i had the same thing happen to me. Filled it up on the dyno poured out i looked like idiot. Had a machine shop put cast iron rod pressed in the block to fill those holes. Cost me $600 i think but all has been good, this is a stocker with e7te heads been this way for years now lots of runs on it. In the catalog there is fine print about this didn't see this till after the fact. Have pictures on an old phone can send you. Will be a couple of weeks till i get home, racing in Arizona right now.
Thanks James. I'm sure you understand my frustration over something that was totally avoidable. I read the small print and never in a million years would have guessed that the reason the block doesn't work with the heads is because of a change in the water jackets that serve no purpose. Anyway thanks and good luck in Arizona.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I had access to 68 J Code heads for $100 and this undid it. Can't blame Ford, though. They make it clear in the Product listing on the Ford Performance Parts website:

"Designed for M-6049-X306//X307/C3/D3/Z304DA cylinder heads. Not designed for production 302/351W or M-6049-Y302/Y303/X302/X303/X304/X305 cylinder heads"

That block worked OK on AFR 1399 heads with gaskets made for the 6010 block. They are GT40 castings. Gaskets must be straight on the exhaust side to keep the water where it's supposed to be. I'm switching classes with n351 iron heads and double checked with Mike Delahanty first. Used to be director of Ford Short Track Racing, so he knew the head.Got an answer lickety split! Rely on your peers.

Looks OK so far.

Don't go all BowTie on us, now...

James: Good luck and have fun. Hope to see you in the combo this year - SS/CS.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
I had access to 68 J Code heads for $100 and this undid it. Can't blame Ford, though. They make it clear in the Product listing on the Ford Performance Parts website:

"Designed for M-6049-X306//X307/C3/D3/Z304DA cylinder heads. Not designed for production 302/351W or M-6049-Y302/Y303/X302/X303/X304/X305 cylinder heads"

That block worked OK on AFR 1399 heads with gaskets made for the 6010 block. They are GT40 castings. Gaskets must be straight on the exhaust side to keep the water where it's supposed to be. I'm switching classes with n351 iron heads and double checked with Mike Delahanty first. Used to be director of Ford Short Track Racing, so he knew the head.Got an answer lickety split! Rely on your peers.

Looks OK so far.

Don't go all BowTie on us, now...

James: Good luck and have fun. Hope to see you in the combo this year - SS/CS.
That's the thing. GM and Mopar to a certain degree go out of their way to help racers. Ford never has even with Glidden. Apparently they havent figure that out and they also havent figured out the people that race fords usually buy fords for their daily drivers. Ive probably spent at least a half a million over my lifetime buying ford products and for what? How many of us have done the same thing?

Why is it so difficult for Ford to understand that if they put some effort into supporting drag racing they might actually get something in return. They don't support the guys who race fords without any help from them. How many guys have record setting cars that they developed over years and even decades and have gotten no support from ford? Not a block, not a set of head, not even a manifold or a few grand to help them out.

GM has been there for their people and thats why people race GM products and buy GM cars and trucks and so do their family members.

On another note. The N heads are great heads. But just like everything, Ford changed the casting so now you can't raise the roof like you could before with the early casting. If the roundy round guys weren't able to raise the port roof then they could have either milled it out from the top or left it there. The drag racing guys could still raise the roof if the material was left where is should have been left. Now that's gone. They could have even helped promote the N-head in CS and get guys out there to dominate the class but never did. They left them to do it on their own and only a few guy have. Now its to late since you can use aftermarket heads in CS.

The lack of vision at Ford has no end. It wouldn't have cost them anything to leave the N-head material where it was or to just drill holes in the Boss block like they have for 30 years with their others blocks. It just seems they go out of their way to stick it to drag racers unless you put up the cash for a new Cobra Jet. Lets see how long that lasts.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote