HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #521
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: worst red light debate, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Oh man! I must have missed it also. I have read every one of the posts you wrote. I can't for the life of me recall the part about your stating exactly who the rule change would hurt! I know I and several others have asked continuously but I sure can't remember you or anybody else clearing that up. I have better things to do than to sort through 52 pages of posts looking for a non existing post. Please restate your answer for us idiots. Take your time. Maybe you can sway me back to your way of thinking! Thanks. Jim

I explained it in this thread a long time ago. I also addressed the reason it is not going to change. The faster car has a substantial advantage not only at the starting line but all the way down the track.
That's not theory, that assessment comes from direct personal experience.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #522
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
I don't understand why you don't campaign a A A /S car, which would never have to leave first. As long as you're going to squeeze the last drop of advantage out of this system, why not take it to the limit?

Bill,
Without a doubt, you are absolutely correct on this assessment. That's exactly what I did. Twice. Once in SS and once in Comp.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #523
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Parts View Post
I explained it in this thread a long time ago. I also addressed the reason it is not going to change. The faster car has a substantial advantage not only at the starting line but all the way down the track.
That's not theory, that assessment comes from direct personal experience.
Wow, thanks for your honest reply, Scott.
We need more of that here.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #524
Chuck Rayburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill,
I did a quick survey of pairs of stockers at national events in competition. Out of 1730 pairs of stockers going down the track in competition, the faster car "advantage" (if you really want to call it that) only happened 24 times. That's less than 1.4%.
You asked why the NHRA hasn't addressed this issue, well, there's your answer. How excited can anyone get over something that happens less than 1.4% of the time?
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed. I just lost another justification for spending a stupid amount of money on always being the faster car every round.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #525
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Rayburn View Post
Bill,
I did a quick survey of pairs of stockers at national events in competition. Out of 1730 pairs of stockers going down the track in competition, the faster car "advantage" (if you really want to call it that) only happened 24 times. That's less than 1.4%.
You asked why the NHRA hasn't addressed this issue, well, there's your answer. How excited can anyone get over something that happens less than 1.4% of the time?
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed. I just lost another justification for spending a stupid amount of money on always being the faster car every round.

You are talking about two entirely different things. As far as Bill's argument, the facts are very interesting in that the faster car pairings across the entire eliminator field don't support Bill's worse red light argument. However your reference to having the fastest or close to the fastest car in the field (A,B,C,D) is another issue altogether. A SS/A or B car has a much bigger advantage when paired against a SS/O car then a SS/K car would. The speed diffential of an oncoming SS/B car is much harder, and sometimes impossible to judge than someone you can see creeping up on you. The higher horsepower cars are also less susceptible to weather and altitude changes than the smaller engined cars. And the list goes on.

When I strongly believed that the faster classes had a big advantage, I pulled out 4 years of National Dragsters and noted how many times in Stock and Super Stock an A,B,C or D won the event or was in the final.
I bought my Corvette and started making my move from SS/K and L to SS/A and B the next week. I was runner up at my first National event with it in Memphis.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #526
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Xx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	7233  
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #527
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Xx
HALLAUJAH!!!

The King of the impertinent post is gone...

Last edited by bill dedman; 05-15-2011 at 02:50 AM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #528
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Rayburn View Post
Bill,
Chuck,
I DO appreciate the effort you put into researching this, and I am glad for your results... I have said all along, that the results you researched, the number of times the car with the worse offense was let off the hook, IS meaningful, but that is not the reason I wrote all this.

My contention is this: Until the (new) "worse red light" goes into effect (maybe never)
You will have inaccurate, skewed, results from a research effort like you just went to a lot of trouble to prosecute BECAUSE the second car to leave had NO reason to try to cut a light. He could leave ANYTIME... he ALREADY had won the race.

There are lots of instances wherein the two cars racing may be "close" Class racers, in that, one may be an L/SA and the other, an M/SA with dial-ins only hundredths apart, and the second-to-leave (quicker car) may not be able to tell before he launches the car, that the other car red lighted, but more often, there's enough time between the green lights that he can. In those instances, he may relax his launch and have a reaction time that is nowhere what it would have been, had he been pushing it, like it was still a race.

In that instance, his probability for a red light goes way up. That scenario doesn't happen with close dial-ins, utilizing the current rule.

When they withold the red light until both cars have left the line...

Only THEN, will we have true "EQUAL RED LIGHT JEOPARDY" and the playing field willl be truly level.

What we have now, skews the chances, overall, in favor of the quicker car.

I still believe that the "free ride (and commensurate advantages that go with a first red light system) should not be a part of starting line protocol for Handicapped racing, under any circumstances, (where the first to leave is not there by choice, but by necessity.)

And Jeff, in regards to the advantage" that the second-to-leave car enjoys with this system, I say shame on NHRA for allowing such a flawed system to persist for so many years.

Until "EQUAL RED LIGHT JEOPARDY" gives an advantage to NO ONE, there is still work to be done on these rules.

I built an H/SA '57 Chevy sedan delivery back in 1966. The 4-speed Hydro I put in it was not anything that ever came down a GM assembly line (in a Chevy automobile.) I knew that when I had to make my own rear motor mounts.

NHRA outlawed that combination, although I had built it to (hopefully) beat the 2-speed Powerglides.

I didn't figure I had anything to complain about when NHRA outlawed that combination, in about 1971. It was a never-never drivetrain out of pickup trucks that was never put (OEM) in a passenger car.

This, I feel, is the same deal. NHRA never intended the red light rule to be a permanent way of handicappping non-heads-up races, but they couldn't fix it at the time. (The breakout rules they fixed...)

Now, they can.... and they need to.

Just my 2-cents....

Last edited by bill dedman; 12-25-2015 at 08:18 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #529
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: worst red light debate, again!

Very well said Bill! Kudos! Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #530
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Very well said Bill! Kudos! Jim
So Jim,you going to email or call Glendora and pitch old Bill's proposal?Mark declined,
he says he's not a currant NHRA member.I assume you are.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote