HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 AM   #71
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts
Default Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Exactly. I have a lot of difficulty having any respect for the intelligence of anyone who falls for that scam.

The planet has been warming and cooling for millions of years. In my lifetime, we've been told that we'll all freeze to death, and that we'll all melt in the sun. Literally, in the seventies, they were warning us of the coming ice age. It's ludicrous.
And don`t forget, the "Experts" said we were going to run out of oil by the mid 70s too! And according to Al Gore, shouldn`t New York be about 10 feet under water by now?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #72
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisman Racing View Post
This blame the millennials act is getting old. As a said millennial that loves super stock racing, let me defend my generation.
I don't see how what is proested today is all that different from what was protested in the sixties. And if you can't grasp global warming, I have zero intention of educating you.
And yes, it's not a car culture. But that fad was already dying before we started getting adisposable income. But I don't hear generation x getting the blame. The unsustainable model you complain about happened on the baby boomer watch, not ours. Motorsports used to be at the cutting edge of technology. Driving innovation into the auto sector. Now technology has left drag racing in the dust. We are spending tens of thousands of dollars at trying to refine 19th century technology. Do you think that much time and effort went into steam drive technology in the 1930's? I am going to see s/ss as we know die in my life time. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can.

Side note. I would be interested in seeing how fast Allen Johnson could make a vehicle go down the track. No rules, no limitations, probably no driver, just how fast is possible.

The millennials "act" is not an act. It is entirely real and YOU, not your generation, are in a minority, as a lover of cars and drag racing. You generalize to "defend" your generation, implying that the millions of people who perceive the majority of millennials as whining, self-serving, live-with-Mom-and-Dad, America-hating crybabies are wrong, and that because you like drag racing, all millennials do. And your snide comment about global warming is typical of your generation. No substantiation provided for the statement, just a sarcastic implication that if global warming isn't universally "understood" and accepted, those people who still question its legitimacy are idiots, for whom you can "do nothing". And precisely who in the hell are you? What qualifies you to teach anyone anything about global warming? Why in the world would anyone listen to you, if you did deign to try and educate them? You speak with completely unearned authority, presenting opinions and gossip-science as fact. And finally, nobody said millennials are solely responsible for the decline (and soon, death) of motorsports, but they have done virtually nothing to help.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #73
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Nicely put!
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #74
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
And finally, nobody said millennials are solely responsible for the decline (and soon, death) of motorsports, but they have done virtually nothing to help.
As a side note , motorcycles sales are at a new low among millennials, and the industry won't be able to sustain, at the current rate. I suppose the sales of electric scooters are UP ,though.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #75
rocketolds400

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
The millennials "act" is not an act. It is entirely real and YOU, not your generation, are in a minority, as a lover of cars and drag racing. You generalize to "defend" your generation, implying that the millions of people who perceive the majority of millennials as whining, self-serving, live-with-Mom-and-Dad, America-hating crybabies are wrong, and that because you like drag racing, all millennials do. And your snide comment about global warming is typical of your generation. No substantiation provided for the statement, just a sarcastic implication that if global warming isn't universally "understood" and accepted, those people who still question its legitimacy are idiots, for whom you can "do nothing". And precisely who in the hell are you? What qualifies you to teach anyone anything about global warming? Why in the world would anyone listen to you, if you did deign to try and educate them? You speak with completely unearned authority, presenting opinions and gossip-science as fact. And finally, nobody said millennials are solely responsible for the decline (and soon, death) of motorsports, but they have done virtually nothing to help.

Wow. He literally agreed its not a car culture...

So what qualifies you to attack him? What qualifies you to attack a generation? Seems to me he was responding to an unprovoked and overly generalized attack on a generation that you posted first.... but anyways...

Back to the topic, I think JohnRodericks' post about the money and failure to adapt as a root cause is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoderick View Post
Fundamentally, I believe NASCAR and the NHRA have failed to effectively adapt to more competitive advertising and entertainment markets.

Drag racing is still popular, its just that people have other events that bring more excitement and value for the dollar than the NHRA.
rocketolds400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #76
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Well the thread has drifted a bit but suppose the dialogue about how different generations have far different perceptions is pertinent. Today we’re witnessing ceremonies honoring the life of our 41st President. Part of the greatest generation who leaves a legacy of service and responsibility to country, family and others. Many of my generation grew up in a raging Cold War when warning sirens were for far more grave events than tornadoes. We remember the Cuban missle crisis and when JFK was mourned. We were directly affected by the Vietnam war and the erosion of trust in our institutions. So perhaps we do view subsequent generations as “soft”. With the exception of those impacted by post 9/11 conflict they’ve largely escaped much of what we dealt with so often. The muscle car era sure was a great time for us though, a distraction from weightier events and one we want to continue. Sometimes we can be a little fierce in holding onto a passion that helped us and don’t think social media and other such “activity” is a worthy substitute. And while change is a certain and even healthy thing it can’t abandon the backbone that made NHRA great, otherwise it will simply fade away to be replaced by some VR fad that will in time run it’s course as well.

Don’t subscribe to much of the global warming hyperbole. Nature can sweep us aside in a flash. But do believe we’re stewards of this earth and thus admire Teddy Roosevelt, who shared John Muir’s view that if a single dollar could be earned by stealing from the earth people would line up to do it. Along those lines George H.W. Bush shepherded the Clean Air Act. That kind of stewardship is one of the “core values” that Roosevelt and Bush shared. Great presidents both.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #77
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketolds400 View Post
Wow. He literally agreed its not a car culture...

So what qualifies you to attack him? What qualifies you to attack a generation? Seems to me he was responding to an unprovoked and overly generalized attack on a generation that you posted first.... but anyways...

Back to the topic, I think JohnRodericks' post about the money and failure to adapt as a root cause is spot on.

Drag racing is still popular, its just that people have other events that bring more excitement and value for the dollar than the NHRA.

I didn't "attack" his generation, and certainly didn't attack him (how could I, when he hadn't yet posted his response to my original message?), and I doubt that anybody who reads my post would come to the same conclusion you did. I made some general statements about millennials in my original post, some of them admittedly sarcastic, but was careful not to "attack" them. But if I had, my qualifications would be age, education, work and life experience and the ability to understand what I read and see, on the street, on the news and on television. People don't generally impugn another person, culture, country, etc. without any reason, and this is no different. I made an amply demonstrated observation (i.e. millennials don't participate in the car culture to the degree that previous generations have), and his response (and apparently yours, as well) was that I'm picking on him and his generation and that because he likes cars, all of his millennial brothers and sisters do, as well. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar...
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #78
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
I didn't "attack" his generation, and certainly didn't attack him (how could I, when he hadn't yet posted his response to my original message?), and I doubt that anybody who reads my post would come to the same conclusion you did.
Sorry. Can confirm the interpretation of rocketolds400.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #79
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisman Racing View Post
This blame the millennials act is getting old. As a said millennial that loves super stock racing, let me defend my generation.
I don't see how what is proested today is all that different from what was protested in the sixties. And if you can't grasp global warming, I have zero intention of educating you.
And yes, it's not a car culture. But that fad was already dying before we started getting adisposable income. But I don't hear generation x getting the blame. The unsustainable model you complain about happened on the baby boomer watch, not ours. Motorsports used to be at the cutting edge of technology. Driving innovation into the auto sector. Now technology has left drag racing in the dust. We are spending tens of thousands of dollars at trying to refine 19th century technology. Do you think that much time and effort went into steam drive technology in the 1930's? I am going to see s/ss as we know die in my life time. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can.

Side note. I would be interested in seeing how fast Allen Johnson could make a vehicle go down the track. No rules, no limitations, probably no driver, just how fast is possible.
Just one correction, its 20th century technology. The 19th century would've been the 1800's and we spend all this money refining the old technology because that's what Stock/SS is all about.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #80
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Us old guys a laying in the trenches waiting for the replacements that will never show, sad
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote