Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default 69' amx

R/T,
Check out the AMC forum site.
The 69' AMX was, I think, was intended for SS/G with a 390/340HP rating.
Of course, it did not fly, was properlry re-factored to, I think 405HP.
I think they bounced from SS/E, to SS/D to SS/C.
The 390/315HP car was classed in SS/J in 69', and/or F/S.
Good article about the special 'Crane' heads set up for that engine.
PC
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: 69' amx

The Crane heads were ported w/ 2.08/1.74 valves and were OEM installed. They were only applicable to the cross-ram 390/340 engine.
As far as I know, they were the only OEM ported cylinder heads.
Engine package included the dual 585 cfm Holley's on an Edelbrock STR
intake & domed pistons, headers and a dual-point distributor.

The 390/315 received standard production car cylinder heads.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

The '69 AMX 390/ 315 has always been a 10.00 factor right at the top of E /S and SS/I.........At one time , the SS AMX engine was the most heavily factored HP in SS , even more than the Hemi's and BB Chevies@75 HP over the rated HP .......Tom
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

The article about the special "Crane" heads for the 69' AMX S/S car,
was that they utilized Mopar 440 valves.
The 69' 'Crane' heads were good, but in 1970 the 'dog-leg' design
exhaust ports flowed much better, than the flat-style 69' heads.
Does that sound correct Jeff.
I guess, AMC wanted to utilize the 70 'dog-style heads' for the 69 S/S cars,
but could not.
They would have to build another (50) 70' AMX S/S cars. Instead they offered 70' front-end conversion kits and replacement trim components and dashboard units. NHRA would not legalize that conversion, due to the
fact that the 70' AMX frame had a longer wheelbase than the 69' car.
I think thats in the ballpark.
Either way, AMC got somewhat screwed.
PC
Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Wheelbase for 1968 - 1969 - 1970 AMX's are all the same, 97". You may be confused in that the overall length changed a few inches as a result of body overhang. But the wheelbase remains the same on all 2-seat AMX's.

I assume AMC sent out the 1970 sheetmetal, tail lights, dash, seats, etc. (even a 1970 VIN plate!) to the owners of the original 1969 SS/AMX's more because they wanted a new for 1970 product in front of the public.

The 1970 production heads are an improvement over 1969 and earlier production heads but in a SS application back then, I believe the 1969 ported Crane heads were better than a 1970 production head (remember, this was back when SS did not allow porting). Note: AMC did not send out new "dog leg" 1970 cylinder heads to the racers, only body change items.
The SS/AMX's were fast right off and continued to be so well into the 1970's. Several years ago the dog-leg cylinder head was approved as a superseded part; long after the cylinder head porting rules took affect.

The fact is, AMC was the poorest of the auto manufacturers. They could not justify building another 50+ cars (at a loss) in 1970. So they thought they could get around the NHRA mandate that all cars be "assembly line produced" by replacing the relevant parts with full corporate approval. Again, note AMC provided NEW 1970 AMX VIN plates! Clearly, this was the intent of the manufacturer that 1970 AMX SS cars were to be recognized and raced along with 1969 SS/AMX's. But rules are rules and once NHRA saw what was going on (and it wasn't a super-secrete deal either), they put a stop to it and advised all racers that if they wished to race an x-ram AMX then it would be a 1969 model. Numerous owners who made the conversions with AMC's blessings along with new paint jobs, parked the cars in disgust (gee, does anything ever change?). A friend of mine has one of those cars. It was raced in 1969, converted per factory recommendation and subsequently parked. The only good thing is the 1970 VIN plate allowed easy MVD allowance for this once "race only SS package car". The car accumulated 70,000 in street miles before my friend bought it and restored it; back to race day 1970 with 1970 parts still intact. It is #3 of 52 produced.

Now, however, an interesting argument could be made to re-instate the 1970 AMX as a x-ram car due to the new "crate motor" cars in S/SS.
This was, and no doubt about it, AMC's intentions.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Jeff,
You couldn't have described those details any better.
I always figured, that after the factory cars suprised everyone at the 68' Winternationals, they would not let the factories per say, run the show.
ie; (Not 50 produced)
68' Cobra-Jets (not factory-production until April 68)
68' GSS 440 Darts (just who had them in January 68')
340 Cuda's and Darts (factory rated at 275HP)
Even the 67' R/O Plymouth's and W/O Dodges (does anyone really believe there were 55 of each produced)
They started cracking down, just before the 68' Springnationals. Made Plymouth and Dodge show the sales documents for 50 sales (each) of the factory SS/B Hemi cars. They were made legal about a week before the June event at Englishtown.

Last edited by Paul Ceasrine; 06-23-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Jeff has it right. ...There is a '69/'70 down near Lancaster ,Pa. .....the owner showed me the documentation.....The later '70/'71 3196291 head casting superceeded the original rectangular port heads, I believe in the mid '80's ..............I have an original, damaged, Crane head . The porting was nothing spectacular by todays standards, but in '69 it was probably better than the best Modified Elim heads ......Tom
Old 06-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Maybe you don't know that Crane offered ported & polished cylinder heads in their catalog during this time period. There were two versions of SBC heads that could be purchased for around $500. Many Modified racers ran those heads in the late '60s & early '70s. Crane had a production facility set up to manufacture the heads in quantity so it makes sense that AMC contracted with them for the heads. Very much cheaper than new castings.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

I knew about the Crane Chevy heads, but didn't realize they were available as early as '69. .....I always thought they were from around the mid '70s. ...I remember the speed shop I delt with getting a set for a twin turbo Don Hardy Vega the owner was building around '75. ........Make you sad to think of the fate of a company like Crane, that pioneered so many things........AMC did make some very special head castings for the NASCAR program. ....I managed to have 2 sets of these over the years,and thy did some things that were not seen on aftermarket heads till many years later. ....The intake floor and roof were raised up substantially , the top of the intake runner was flush with the valve cover rail. ....The decks were about .125 thicker than a production casting. ...the finished set I had came from Traco ,and were angle milled 1.5 deg, giving the head a 16 deg valve angle and a 42cc chamber,and a 230 cc intake [178 stock] in 1974 !! ..........Tom

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 06-24-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Tom Goldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
Wheelbase for 1968 - 1969 - 1970 AMX's are all the same, 97". You may be confused in that the overall length changed a few inches as a result of body overhang. But the wheelbase remains the same on all 2-seat AMX's.

I assume AMC sent out the 1970 sheetmetal, tail lights, dash, seats, etc. (even a 1970 VIN plate!) to the owners of the original 1969 SS/AMX's more because they wanted a new for 1970 product in front of the public.

The 1970 production heads are an improvement over 1969 and earlier production heads but in a SS application back then, I believe the 1969 ported Crane heads were better than a 1970 production head (remember, this was back when SS did not allow porting). Note: AMC did not send out new "dog leg" 1970 cylinder heads to the racers, only body change items.
The SS/AMX's were fast right off and continued to be so well into the 1970's. Several years ago the dog-leg cylinder head was approved as a superseded part; long after the cylinder head porting rules took affect.

The fact is, AMC was the poorest of the auto manufacturers. They could not justify building another 50+ cars (at a loss) in 1970. So they thought they could get around the NHRA mandate that all cars be "assembly line produced" by replacing the relevant parts with full corporate approval. Again, note AMC provided NEW 1970 AMX VIN plates! Clearly, this was the intent of the manufacturer that 1970 AMX SS cars were to be recognized and raced along with 1969 SS/AMX's. But rules are rules and once NHRA saw what was going on (and it wasn't a super-secrete deal either), they put a stop to it and advised all racers that if they wished to race an x-ram AMX then it would be a 1969 model. Numerous owners who made the conversions with AMC's blessings along with new paint jobs, parked the cars in disgust (gee, does anything ever change?). A friend of mine has one of those cars. It was raced in 1969, converted per factory recommendation and subsequently parked. The only good thing is the 1970 VIN plate allowed easy MVD allowance for this once "race only SS package car". The car accumulated 70,000 in street miles before my friend bought it and restored it; back to race day 1970 with 1970 parts still intact. It is #3 of 52 produced.

Now, however, an interesting argument could be made to re-instate the 1970 AMX as a x-ram car due to the new "crate motor" cars in S/SS.
This was, and no doubt about it, AMC's intentions.
wouldn't they have had to change the frt suspension too?
68-69 was different from the 70 amx's..
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote