HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Jim Woods

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: $$$$$$$$

I agree, I think the time is right for another class nat'ls. nhra rules would eliminate the ihra class cars, who in my opinion should be included , after all they would have some different classes and therefor be entitled to class runoffs as well. This could be accomplished with more action and less speculation. I would be willing to help out , anyone else?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Butler View Post
Alan,
You are right about the banding together. Most racers have a selfish agenda and they might not even be able to admit it.They own a car they know.
Agenda: They have a car worth money and are afraid someone will change the overall rules just enough to put them at a disadvantage or make them change their class of competition or make a change which changes the importance of their beliefs about Drag Racing in the sportsman group.(arent the rules moving all the time anyway)
1)Manufacturers money or postings : as number of classes goes up (or stays HIGH like now) Too much $ to post for all class winners on a product if cars only buy a product one time and make it last for several seasons.Most want it to go to a racer not NHRA so with large posting some is lost to the NHRA pool.
2) As long as the racer gets to have a massive number of class choices and combinations this will not change.BYE runs still get contingency. If not the racers would move to a contested class on their own.
3) With no draw for a crowd of spectators ,stands are empty for bracket racing of CLASS cars at points meets and Nationals. No exposure of product names for advertising. Less important use of money than Dragster ad or magazines.
4) Sportsman racing has gone from racing a smaller number of classes with Names for the winners (Because of publicity and spectator knowledge) to dilution of the racing which decrease some class win importance or publicity since it is rarely done or minimally seen.
5) Due to the results of trying to get more entrants and pay less advertising NHRA has convinced themselves Sportsman racing is a Participant sport. Make a class for everything it is only Dial in anyway.The more classes accepted in the gate the more entry money. Result not many in a class so limit class racing at the event. ( the viscious circle)
That pools the cash and limits the people who deserve to split the pot of money into one elimination.
5)Fix it? it can be done but uncomfortable and unpopular to think of the things needed.
I doubt over 10-20 guys on this site would accept the changes even if they thought it would work.Agendas!
Dick,
I'm not so sure a lot needs to change so much in Stock and Super Stock.If anything,they need to raise the event quotas.This is the current entry list stats for Pomona.

02/05/2009 - 02/08/2009 - Kragen O'Reilly NHRA Winternationals

Category Quota Entries % Full
Top Fuel Dragster 24 7 29.2%

Fuel Funny Car 24 11 45.8%

Pro Stock 26 17 65.4%

Top Alcohol Dragster 24 19 79.2%

Top Alcohol Funny Car 24 24 100.0%

Competition Eliminator 50 15 30.0%

Super Stock 80 80 100.0%

Stock Eliminator 80 82 102.5%

Super Gas 130 112 86.2%

Event Total 462 367 79.4%
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ORIGINAL TANKER View Post
I agree, I think the time is right for another class nat'ls. nhra rules would eliminate the ihra class cars, who in my opinion should be included , after all they would have some different classes and therefor be entitled to class runoffs as well. This could be accomplished with more action and less speculation. I would be willing to help out , anyone else?
You are correct.A BIG SS/S race that combines NHRA/IHRA cars could probably draw huge fields if the payouts were good and it was an all run field.The U.S.Class Nationals had 187 Stockers for the first round.A ladder was still created.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #14
Crisco

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

Jim and Jim with the S/SS Association have a good thing going. I only see it getting bigger. We had alot of fun in Gainesville @ the Super Chevy show. It paid out good and almost everybody entered won something.

One problem I do see though is alot of your S/SS guys will not race outside of the NHRA/IHRA. They have to much money in their cars to "bracket race" them is one excuse I have heard. I wonder how many S/SS guys would show up for a $10,000 to win race with a good payback?

Last edited by Crisco; 01-12-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: $$$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
I wonder how many S/SS guys would show up for a $10,000 to win race with a good payback?
Maybe we will get the chance to see later this year? Sad to say though a lot wont come to something like that because they wont earn any "GRADING POINTS".
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: $$$$$$$$

Crisco , If you need anything from the N.C east coast ,let me know. Sounds like you got something on your mind. Jim , I will see you in Fla in about 3 weeks .
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #17
Crisco

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Talking Re: $$$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny waters sr View Post
Crisco , If you need anything from the N.C east coast ,let me know. Sounds like you got something on your mind. Jim , I will see you in Fla in about 3 weeks .
Who me? I'm always thinking about something.
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

The fact the field is full is important. Still interested. Plenty of cars who want to attend and race.
Are they running class? of the 80 cars in either S or SS how many would be bye runs or unfilled classes with the number of classes currently available. How many people would be attracted to watch the bye runs. They will be there to see Class Racing requiring at least 2 cars. Thats the part they would enjoy. Yes there are die hards who understand, and appreciate the Class cars and enjoy the dial in eliminator.
(No I am not proposing this but) What if there were10 classes of Stock or 10 classes of SS and it happened that each had 8 cars to run off in Class? Do you think the appeal at all levels of spectator, racer and sponsor could be improved? I DO. Then on to eliminator with the added PRIDE of having won class and contingency(because more sponsors could afford to pay winners of classes)
Thanks.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I think the originator of this thread has a very good point, does it really matter to most of the racers that they are competing at an N or an I race? I hear alot about so called agendas, not quite sure what is meant by that other than the desire to win which I think most all racers have. I'm sure there are some people out there that are concerned with protecting their class, that's fine but really WHY DO WE RACE? For the money,for the trophy or for the self satisfaction of making a vehicle do something that no one else can? Myself I could care less if the race were put on by Oprah it's the competition and the desire to make it better that keeps me going. Face it what other sport reqires so much effort and expense and returns so little? I think a independently run series would be great I can hardly read a thread post that someone isn't going on about how badly they feel their being treated by N or I, so why keep going? what is it about racing that makes us go to a race where we know we're going to leave feeling we were wronged? Plain and simple I think for most it's the competition, what else could make us keep going back just to be "slapped around by the santioning bodies? I know there are some people on this message board that would have the contacts and desire to put something like a "Class Nationals" together I'm not one of them, I would however offer my support to it. If everyone would just check their ego's we are basically very expensive bracket racers. Wish someone would put as much effort into providing a viable solution to what appears to be a universal complaint " no respect, low payout, ran as filler ect." than to just keep repeating what the problem is. Joe
Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #20
Jim Woods

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Smile Re: $$$$$$$$

Joe,
you are correct, the ssssa was formed due to those concerns, there are also many other associations with the exact same values. It is up to the racers to support these organizations. there will always be people who would find something to complain about no matter what. life is too short to be unhappy and miserable at what someone feels is not right, Either adjust things and enjoy it or get out, Most racers want to have fun again going to the races. When I started out it was a blast , then it got to the point where it owned me and it was like a job and I thought if I didnt race , then they would cancel the race if I didnt showup. Low and behold business stopped me from racing for a couple of years, when I returned I enjoyed it more than ever . The stock/superstock racers are truly the heroes of our sport and deserve to be the attraction and not the filler, It is very refreshing to hear fans come up to the ssssa officers and tell us what a great time they had watching s/ss battle it out. Many times i've been told how really nice and cordial the s/ss racers are. So lets all band together and keep the class racing fun for everyone.