HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts
Default Re: H/Stock 1957 Chevy "In-Bomber" Omaha NE late 60's

Hanging around Flightland and then Cornhusker, I always wondered the meaning (if any) of "In-Bomber" and "Good In-Tension", assuming that the "Tension" car meant all the grief that went along with our drag racing addiction

Some of the great car names I remember:
Color-Me-Gone
Red Light Bandit
Yoo Hoo Too
Toyko Rose
Southland Flyer
Grumpy's Toy
Quarter Pounder
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
DragwayRipper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DragwayRipper

Randall- do you remember seeing the car in action? From what I have gathered the "In" was emphasized because the cars ran Rochester injected 283's, the In-Bomber with a solid lifter cam and Good-In-Tension with a hydraulic. The Martin Bomber Plant, famous for building WWII bombers is in Omaha, the In-Bomber's home town, maybe some connection? No one seems to remember who came up with the names, or the In-Bomber/Embalmer play on words (notice the green hand with syringe and drops on the door).
-Dean
DragwayRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
DragwayRipper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back to the top...

-Dean
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
Jodi P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Plaza Shell Wagon that you are speaking about was not a replacement but was a borrowed car. The arangement was made months earlier. My mom and dad were the proud owners of that wagon. In fact, I am looking at a photo on my wall of the yellow wagon. They towed in a snow storm to get to Talsa from Virginia, Minnesote. If anyone was wondering about more detailed information, please let me know or call 218-741-2385 Gus
Jodi P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Gus,

Thanks for that information, but, now I am really confused about what went on at the '67 Tulsa World Finals race.

I was only there on Sunday, for eliminations.

I heard, when I got there, that the ~TENSION~ white '57 from Omaha (a car I'd seen run at Des Moines Dragway) had been involved in a pit accident with Jackson's Scratcher B/SR, and was too damaged to race.

I assumed (incorrectly, apparently) that Fred Anderson, who was the only person I'd ever seen drive that ~TENSION~ white 270HP/4-speed Chevy, had borrowed the yellow Plaza Shell car (ex-Jere Stahl wagon) to fill in for the damaged Tension Team car the day after the accident.

Looks like, in the information I have been able to dig up, that Wally Nissen, in fact, drove the yellow wagon in competition, (not Fred) making it to the final round, before red-lighting to George Cureton's '56 Chevy sedan delivery.

In the intervening years, I have seen a picture of the Jackson Street Roadster, taken after the accident, and the front end is damaged. But, I've never seen a picture of the Chevy (after the accident.)

I'd just like to know how much of what I think I "know" about this, is true, and how much of what I think I know is wrong.

As the owner of that wagon, can you help me out, here?

And, what ever happened to that wagon? It was one of the earliest attempts (and, a VERY successful one!) to 'science-out" a Stocker. Jere did a masterful job with that car!!! It belongs in a museum...

Thanks for any information!!!!

Last edited by bill dedman; 10-26-2009 at 09:26 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Can't believe there's nobody on here that was at the '67 World Finals in Tulsa...

Heck, that was ONLY 42 years ago.....
Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #17
Jodi P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill,

I do remember that there was some kind of accident but honestly have no clue why they had their car there. They were entered but were entered with my car. The Plaza Shell Yellow Wagon. Wally was the registered driver for that race with my wagon. However, he was not suggestful in making a good pass. I guess my car like me driving and I did make one pass at that race to qualify. Wally drove during eleminations. Yes, he did make it to final round and then went red. Only minutes before it rained.

The wagon is around. It is near my home town and sitting in a barn. My family and I would like to purchase but the owner will not sell it.

Where are you from? Do you currently race?

Those were the good old days... Great racing...

Gus
Jodi P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #18
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Jodi,

Thanks for all that information! What I am curious about, now, is whether Fred Anderson was there, and was he supposed to drive that white "~TENSION~ team '57 4-speed car, with the 270 HP motor.
And,if so, why didn't he? He was an excellent driver, as I remember it.

I was working Tech at Des Moines (IA) Dragway in '65-'66-'67, and I remember the ~TENSION~ team arriving at the strip in WHITE COVERALLS, looking very "professional," and it reminded me of Roger Penske ("Mr. Clean") and how much attention Penske always seemed to pay to appearances... It was pretty impressive!!! Ahead of their time...

I thought that White '57 belonged to Fred, burt I guess not.

"Where am I from"????
Well, it's...... complicated, but, since you asked...

1938-1950 Ft.Smith, Arkansas
1950-1953 Butte, Montana
1953-1964 Little Rock, Arkansas
1964-1980 Des Moines, IA
1980-1988 Walnut Creek, CA (San Francisco Bay Area)
1988-2004 Hayward, CA (San Francisco Bay Area)
2004-2009 Conway, Arkansas

Just a hilbilly, whose come home.... lol!

No quarter mile strips in Arkansas, so I attempt run a bracket car, when I can, at the strip at Centerville, about 60 miles from where I live. I have no trailer, so I've kept 3.55 gears in my car so I could drive to the strip. Now, I've invested in some 4.10 gears and better axles, and bought a piggybank for a trailer fund.... Dunno when that will come to fruition, if ever...

The car is a '72 Plymouth Valiant 4-door sedan (!) with a 360 Magnum that has a Vortech blower and a blow-through 750 Holley. Based on what I've been able to run with some worn-out 8" tires on a very cold day, it should run mid-11's at about 119 mph in the quarter, if I get the new gears in it and it will hook for me. I did buy some new 9" X 28" M-T bias-ply slicks, which should help my 60-foot times, if not my MPH... Eighth-mile was 7.59 @ 93.63, spinning all the way through 1st gear...

I can't afford a class car, but this thing keeps me busy....

Thanks for asking!

I hope you can re-acquire that wagon; it's a significant piece of history!!!

Last edited by bill dedman; 10-28-2009 at 11:59 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
DragwayRipper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fred Anderson drove the In-Bomber to victory at the '68 NHRA Nationals, so I would not be surprised to learn that he drove Tension at some point, though Good-In-Tension was his actual car.

We are nearing the completion of a full restoration of the Patrick Bros. In-Bomber to "as raced" in 1969. Good-In-Tension was just sold at auction for an absolute bargain price. It had been restored to a stock, street '57 though, and bore no resembelance to it's jr. stock heritage, nor little proof in my opnion. Tension may still exist, I am currently tracking it down.

If you guys have any interest in jr. stock racing, check out the York Nostalgia Nationals this year in July, www.yorkus30.com ....The In-Bomber will be there along with other jr. stockers and original drivers.

-Dean
Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
DragwayRipper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back to the top...

Still looking for any old photos or footage! Thanks,
-Dean