HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Bob Alberty Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Third Gen "F" body Front Suspension

What works?

I currently have everything unbolted from the front suspension laying in the floor, hard parts blasted and painted,about ready to start gathering new parts and going back together, have been looking around at different sites and parts, but I dont know what to do up front. It is an 84 Z/28 camaro.

The car is completely stock forward of the firewall, chassis wise, with the exception of a pair of lakewood 90/10 struts, swaybar removed,and a manual steering box, was 130,000+ miles stock, so an upgrade / rebuild was in order..(overdue) Have been running the stock unaltered V-8 front springs, have a set of springs to go back in it from a V-6 car to try and get the nose down some for apearance ..

The rear is my first attempt at building a door car, and it is 4 linked with diagonal link, Qa-1 single adjustable coil overs and 14x 32's. It's a bracket car, runs ten flat with a big block glide combo, and weighs 3250 with me in it. She was carrying the front end about 18 inches high about 60 feet out, then after adjusting the rear suspension,it would pick up about 2 inches and set right back down, but I want to go back the other way, for one the fun factor, and two, it seems to inconsistantly turn the tires about one rev after touching back down at it's current setting.

I guess my question is more directed at the stocker guys, concerning the front suspension / steering, as I'm not looking to stray far from the oem ideas,

What would you do with it, meaning components , and any assembly tips for when I start going back together.
Bob Alberty Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Third Gen "F" body Front Suspension

Bob I would suggest simply moving the lower ball joints forward about 1/2 an inch by modifying the lower control arm mounting holes. This will allow positive caster adjustment with the car at a nosedown angle.
V6 springs should be ok, how much weight on the frt end? alum. heads batt. etc.
I don't think anything other than stock components in good shape is required
Thanx Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Bob Alberty Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Trevor,

It is an alum headed big block, I have taken everything I can off the nose as far as weight, but still has a steel hood on it.

I am a machinist by trade, and plan to build the control arm bushings, had thought of moving the left front forward, and the right rearward for a bit of stagger in the front ( my funny car / dragster background coming out in me ) but you say it is better to move them both to the front?

About the bushings, My plan was to make them from 316 stainless ( inner ) and titanium ( outers )
Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Bob Alberty Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering, I have the front suspension back together, what about some caster / camber numbers to try and achieve.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bob sorry for the delay, I checked actual settings before posting.

Caster 3* positive
Camber 3/4* positive
Toe out 1/16

These are basically stock settings. I would also recomend dilling an extra hole to pin the upper plates once cas/cam are set.
Thanx Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote