HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Is this a mistake?

Nothing new here - just more bogus Horsepower and weight numbers with a fake hood here and there. Oh and now the OEM's want to sell us their crate motors for Stock. Some how this crate motor deal is offered as a way to save Stock. Stock is doing just fine without the greedy OEM's stomping on it. And it could do much better if nhra would stop trying to ruin it.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Let me ask a question here, please.
The Drag Paks came with a trailer axle stuck under the back, just so they would roll around, yes?
The new Challenger street legal cars came with an independent rear suspension, yes?
So the VIN cars would have to use remnants of the original swing arm, plus the same original mounting points as the IRS. You know, like the early Corvettes have to do, yes?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #13
Dyno

Liked 605 Times in 177 Posts

IRS Corvettes are allowed to use a solid rearend, 12 bolts.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #14
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
IRS Corvettes are allowed to use a solid rearend, 12 bolts.
"plus the same original mounting points as the IRS. You know, like the early Corvettes have to do, yes?"
Old 04-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #15
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

The IRS Vettes are allowed the solid rear housing, but it has to meet the specs on flange width and on the mounting points of the IRS swing arms. The cross spring even had to be mounted in a position close to stock. Shock location and mounting points were supposed to be in or near stock location. It was that way at one time. How do I know? I started jumping through all the hoops to build one in very legal form. (2001)
Who is to say what it is like now.

Last edited by Adger Smith; 04-22-2017 at 12:21 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 AM   #16
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
The IRS Vettes are allowed the solid rear housing, but it has to meet the specs on flange width and on the mounting points of the IRS swing arms. The cross spring even had to be mounted in a position close to stock. Shock location and mounting points were supposed to be in or near stock location. It was that way at one time. How do I know? I started jumping through all the hoops to build one in very legal form. (2001)
Who is to say what it is like now.
I'm thinking a precedent has been set. It's also been set with the use of TH400 and glides in non GM vehicles and a 9" ford rear in a copo. The doors are open.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:32 AM   #17
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

The only different is they change the glass & add glove box in drag pack car and the motor is out of a street car. Rule book says no 4 bar set up in normal stock. That is what I was told, I`m no expert on this.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #18
Jim Bailey

Liked 571 Times in 107 Posts
Cool Re: Is this a mistake?

Hate to say I told you so ...But, "I TOLD YOU SO". ... Eight years ago when Mopar announced the Drag Pac factory race car, ( This was before the Cobra Jet and Copo ), - I SAID," This is a perfect time for NHRA to make AA/Stock an all paper car class. These factory built race cars - Shelbys, Nascar Hemi's, and ALL FACTORY BUILT RACE CARS, should ONLY be able to run AA/Stock. -"You all laughed"...! Four years ago - I SAID, " If you guys think that Factory Built Race Cars will be kept out of conventional Stock Eliminator you're examining your tonsils from your back side, AND, you won't wake up until there's a under factored new car in your class."You all laughed". (That guy's smelt too many nitro fumes they said)... Well here we are!.....And this isn't over by a long shot ... The Copo's aren't even involved -YET- with their showroom engine combos ------ If you can't beat 'em , join 'em.
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #19
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

It's all just turned into ET-2 anyway. No more tech, no more teardowns, not even any acknowledgement of National Records. Next is going to be Edelbrock intakes for everybody! And I told you so on that one.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
I'm thinking a precedent has been set. It's also been set with the use of TH400 and glides in non GM vehicles and a 9" ford rear in a copo. The doors are open.
They're changing the terminology, it's a "Strange" rear, not a Ford, same with the 700 cu in "Chevy" engines, no more, they're called Sonnys or whoever built them, there's no factory parts on them anymore they say, same with the trans, ATI whatever. What I'm saying is there's no specific factory products anymore just use the "racing" part on your car. Three guesses on how this started, can we say NHRA sponsors. Im not to concerned on what they let run, just put the right HP on them from the start, most, if not all, are way to soft. Look at what cars are usually the #1 qualifiers
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote