HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts
Default Mustang Fox Body Stocker Backspacing

I have to order rims for a stocker that I'm building ('91 Mustang), and need some information on rear wheel size and backspacing.

I'm running a C-4 with a 2.92 first gear, an 8" converter and 5:14 rear end gears. Tires are Hoosier 9" X 30" radials.

The rims I want are Weld Aluma Stars, but I need to make a decision about rim width. What is the general consensus around width size for this tire in this application (8, 9 or 10 inch)?

Searching the internet, I see that the recommended backspace for a 10" rim (for example) is 6.5". However, Aluma Stars do not come in 1/2 inch sizes (they are available in 6 inch, 7 inch, etc. backspacing only). The same goes for the other rims widths (no 1/2" backspacing).

I'd like to do this once (especially, considering the sticker shock from these rims), so any help would be appreciated. One thing for sure is that I don't want to wheels and tires to stick out of the wheel wells.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
west coast

Liked 129 Times in 49 Posts
Default Re: Mustang Fox Body Stocker Backspacing

Look at Billet specialties they are light and probably a better price. Use your summit discount with price help. These are what I use see pictures on auto imagery 6052 or Jim or James Boyce. Mine are on 8 wide with 5 1/2 backspacing will have to double check on that.
west coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Notch1320

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you using drum rear brakes and do you intent to ever upgrade to an aftermarket disc?

My car was running drum rear brakes, 15 x 10 with a 6" BS. 29.5 x 9 and the inner fender well is "clearanced" with a BFH along with the outer lip trimmed/rolled. I have a set of 15 x 10 (6.5BS) that I planned to use once I added aftermarket rear brakes as most kits will add a 1/2" to each side width wise. Running that tire, I had to widen the wheel opening below the belt line (side molding) of the car.

I know another racer ran the 15 x 8" wheel with 5.5BS and a 30 x 9 slick with no clearancing needed. He was on drum rear brakes as well I believe. I can send you pictures of mine to include the wheel opening work that I did.

Also, if you are ordering from Weld, ask about having the beads knurled. I want to say its about $100 per wheel, but is a pretty cool feature and will help tremendously with keeping the tire from spinning on the rim without the use of screws or glue.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Notch1320; 06-30-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Notch1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Thanks guys.

Great call on the Billet Specialties rims. That helps a lot.

Shawn, I'll drop you a line. Yeah, I'm using Strange Brakes, but having symmetrical ends put on the tubes. I have to work out the math.

Thanks again.

Steve
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote